1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Join the NYFF Challenge (No Youtube Fabulous February)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Muphy, Feb 1, 2022.

Are you tired of watching Youtube.

1. Yes

2. No, I love wasting 3+ hours everyday.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

I have just started the challenge today.
    No Youtube Month.
    I have decided that I am going to watch anything but youtube.

I watch youtube for no reason.. If I watch for a reason then it would be okay. Now it is just a habit.. I have nothing to do .. just spend that time on youtube.. watch anything.. just keep it running.. while eating.. while working.. while sleeping.. it just takes away everything.. sleep .. concentration... and bring guilt at the end of the day that I wasted this much time on youtube..

I started writing that how much time I waste on youtube and I calculated that in a week I am spending about 60+ hours youtube... that means in a week 2.5 days I spend only on youtube.. Hell with it now..

BrighterFuture likes this.
  2. That amount seems excessive, but I'm not to judge.

The only time I watch it is at night, after work. I play about 5-9 short comedy videos (a few minutes a piece), then fall asleep to longer videos, that play through the night.

Maybe an idea to try is not to turn on You Tube during the day. Just have a set window of 1 hour, and force yourself to stick to it. That way you are taking care of important stuff during day hours, and you limit You Tube to your "chill out time".

Also, an idea to try is if you have to budget your You Tube time, you could make a playlist with one hour's worth of videos. Put the videos in it, then watch it. After the last one, quit.

Another thing is you could just block off a certain day to not watch it. Maybe next week, don't allow You Tube all day on Monday. Force yourself through that day, and plan out the week after how long to stop. Just some ideas.

If you say, I won't watch it all month, that is too much to start out on at first. Take baby steps. Make small cutbacks. Because you are going to have to develop self-control on this sooner or later.

Muphy likes this.
  3. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

Thanks a lot for the advice and I understand that its' too much for a start and needs time to develop self control.
    But today I completed 31 days of no youtube. On a friends suggestion I started this thread so it may help some other people as well.

I just stopped it. I realized how much time I am wasting on it and replaced it with Coding course (I am from non-coding background) on Udemy. Everyday when I feel bored, I start the course and it feels more boring for a start but then it becomes interesting... and its just the minds ability that it never wants to break the flow... doesn't matter what you are doing..

So after 30 days my brain asks for more coding than more youtube...

4. 30 Day is amazing! Wow! And good job on learning the coding!

Muphy likes this.
  5. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

Start Writing about it. that's how I stopped it. This is the format I followed. (Write the corresponding detail in every row and for each tick - write the entry )

1) Tick mark (whenever you watch youtube)
    2) Time (write the time when you started watching and when finished)
    3) State (what were you thinking/doing just before you were watching)
    4) Action after (what you did after watching)
    5) where (where you were watching)
    6) Total (approximate total time watched today)
    7) This weeks total: How many hours in this week- write every week)

For example

1) Tick : Tick1, tick2, tick3, tick4
    2) Time: 8am, 12:30pm, 6:30pm, 11pm
    3) State: for news, lunch time-pass, came from college timepass, while sleeping
    4) Action After, ready for college, classes, nothing dinner, slept
    5) Where: bed, canteen, couch, bed
    6) total: 5+ hours
    7) This week's total: 38 hours

I wrote this for almost a month and found out that most of the time I was spending on you tube is during breakfast and another is before sleep on bed. So I cut down these two things first.

M arjunan and IonaOrange like this.
  6. IonaOrange

IonaOrange Fapstronaut

Would anyone like a challenge in avoiding all moving pictures alltogether?

Muphy and LOSEmyselftoSAVEmyself like this.
  7. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

I'd love to. Its the best solution to all kinds of nonsense stuff.
    But I am doing some online coding courses, so can't leave that. :-(

IonaOrange likes this.
  8. I like the idea, but I personally don't need it so much. I just don't watch that much tv/you tube.

I never turn it on during the day. I usually get home around 9-10 pm, I like to watch about 30 minutes. Then I go to bed, where I put on a you tube video to sleep to.

I am not like I used to be, watching tv or you tube all the time. After I lost 100 lbs, I lost interest in idle activities. It was a blessing.

Husto and IonaOrange like this.
  9. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

I've been thinking about quitting youtube for 2 years now and never had the courage to do so, this is my chance! I can finally break free from the curse of recommendations!

I'll join you as I've wasted waay to much of my time on that damn site, it's a great site but I'll use it only for academic or anything that is related to learning,

youtubers are starving to get our attention, and I'm fed up with it. I've deleted the app from my phone 4 months ago, It's time to step up!

I CAN DO THIS!

Day 1 let's goo

Husto likes this.
  10. BrighterFuture

Day 2
    I opened youtube habitually over 10 times today, it's mind controlling,

cmon people, fight the damn algorithm! It's the right step to a better, more focused life

Husto likes this.
  11. Husto

Husto Fapstronaut

I'm on Day 74 of No Youtube now. I can only recommend this. I hate the jumping from video to video for hours, the constant advertisement, or just watching a video during breaks, it clutters my mind. Now since I quit my brain is way less foggy and the days feel longer and more focused and productive also my screen time generally decreased. For some odd reason I didn't miss it at all. I just quit and surprisingly nothing happened I had no withdrawal symptoms at all, and now I just think what the hell was I watching on Y? At the moment I don't feel like I'm going there ever again and I mean it, with PMO its different, you might be on a long streak but you can always end up in that toxic spiral again. But Y seems gone for me. If you feel like this could be interesting for you, I encourage you to try it. Good Luck Guys!

12. PegasusKid

PegasusKid Fapstronaut

Good luck, i'm doing a dopamine detox rn and about 4 days in. I still watch youtube, but only educational podcasts or educational videos that may be linked in articles I'm reading. While on paper completely limiting youtube sounds harder, i find it easier to avoid things altogether vs saying i'll just watch one entertaining youtube video. Same with gaming, its been a lot easier to just not game at all. But those times when I said "well i'll just game for a couple hours" are the times when temptation strikes the hardest. Its been getting easier as I've kept myself occupied with web development and reading. Those things are slowly becoming more interesting.

Husto likes this.
  13. Husto

Husto Fapstronaut

About 80 days in, still no difficulties so far. How are you guys getting along?

14. BrighterFuture

first week done, it's honesty such a good feeling to leave the circle of recommendations for the first time!.. I'll make it to one month!

Husto likes this.
  15. Husto

Husto Fapstronaut

Great going man! Yes we free ourselves from that stuff. It is indeed a huge improvement of life in general.

16. BrighterFuture

I know right?

although I didn't replace the habit of watching videos with anything productive or clear at the moment, for example most my free time that I would've used on youtube, was used on random stuff like playing chess or browsing whatsapp, or even just going on multiple apps on my phone for no reason, but all that combined is surely better than the never ending attention grabbing soul demolishing black hole that we all know as youtube

anywho.. keep it up everyone! we're making our future selves proud!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Husto likes this.
  17. Dr.J_76ers

Dr.J_76ers Fapstronaut

Day 1 of no YT

Husto likes this.
  18. Husto

Husto Fapstronaut

I think I'm on Day 94 No Y. Still going how are you guys getting along? Is it hard?

19. BrighterFuture

I've reached 21 days, so far so good, although I still have the urge to watch random crap like I used to, but I'll fight :cool:

Husto likes this.
  20. Husto

Husto Fapstronaut

Very good! @BrighterFuture 3 weeks is a good amount. Of course one needs to adjust to this new life and fill the free time with new stuff. It's tough but worth it. Can you already feel some effects?