1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Give good music a real chance.....

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MitchA, Mar 28, 2022.

1. MitchA

MitchA Fapstronaut

Beethoven Symphonies and Piano Sonatas are my favorite.

Why do people not even give them a try? Headphones, crank up the volume, enjoy.

'Classical' is a tad bit of a misnomer. The reason why most people don't like it is because it takes some level of attention, knowledge, and focus to actually begin enjoying it. Take a music appreciation course (yale has one on youtube) and learn about the music a little...the genuis of the great composers and what the music actually consists of.

I don't know why, but one day ten years ago I told myself 'why not' and put on a pair of headphones and began listening...not watching either. It was Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. I was bored out of my mind for about two minutes, then the first movements introduction ended, and the upbeat theme came in. Since then I've learned to play multiple instruments, and now am on piano and working with a music instructor on the instrument and theory. But you don't need to be a musician to appreciate. I'm not...I'm just an amateur fan that wanted to learn more. My favorite courses were meant for non-musicians and taught me enough. I play to learn more about the music I love...and I listen to hours of it weekly. It has the power to heal...to make you reflect, and can be far more exciting than the same cheesy electonic beat over and over...or same four chords thrashed on a guitar while someone for whatever reason screams into a microphone. Don't get me wrong, I like that stuff sometimes too....I listen to the music I'm talking about in a different context for different reasons.

If anyone is interested, I can easily make a 'listening list' and post it with my recommendations....along with some suggestions on if someone wants to learn more about it.

Beethoven's Third, the mighty Eroica. Always a good place to start.

How to listen: with headphones, moderately loud, with an open mind if its not your usual cup of tea.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    7matrix, Buddhabro2.0 and silex_jedi like this.
  2. keyfekeder

keyfekeder Fapstronaut

There are indeed some outstanding tracks among the classics. Even though im not necessarily a fan of Beethoven, Bach is a real genius that can make one get addicted to the classical scores

Nothing beats the ballads of Judas Priest from mid 70s to the early 80s though, those guys are the legends standing out. No matter how emotionally overwhelming classical music is

MitchA likes this.
  3. Filta

Filta Fapstronaut

Ludovico Einaudi was my gateway drug into classical music. Very accessible and modern sounding. Now I am learning Piano like you and loving it.

4. sh0gun

sh0gun Fapstronaut

I've never tried listening to classical music. But I love soundtracks like Star Wars and the Final Fantasy 7 Remake...so maybe I should tap into it!

5. MitchA

MitchA Fapstronaut

Love Bach. Complete genius.

keyfekeder likes this.
  6. MitchA

MitchA Fapstronaut

Try Gustav Holst's "The Planets". Start with Mars and Jupiter. And read a little about how influential his music was on nearly all the film scores written. You'll definitely hear some Imperial March from Star Wars in Mars...not to mention a lot of the other movements and their influence on the rest of John William's work. Its early 1900s so its a little more contemporary. You might also check out Dvorak's "New World Symphony"...start with the 4th movement and then listen to the first three if you like it.

Also I think Mars is probably the loudest orchestral piece in concert. In realty no orchestra can produce the volume of amplified rock bands...but in person Mars was certainly trying to!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  7. MitchA

MitchA Fapstronaut

Giving him a listen!

8. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

I like your passion. What would you recommend as an introduction to Bach?

9. MitchA

MitchA Fapstronaut

Brandenburg Concerto 5

And learn what a fugue is, then give some of his a listen. Start with Fugue in G minor and do a piano version of it.

PeterGrip likes this.
  10. FantasticReport

FantasticReport Fapstronaut

I slowly became a fan of classical music over the years. It's difficult at first, but now I can't live without my Classical Music playlist.

This Bach music has been in my mind lately:

MitchA likes this.
  11. MitchA

MitchA Fapstronaut

Its sounds amazingly introspective...perhaps that's completely appropriate!

Here's my favorite, even though its one of his most popular fugues I'm obsessed (originally for organ) I really like the piano version, but I like the choral versions people have arranged to really highlight the four seperate voices how a fugue is put together.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  12. FantasticReport

FantasticReport Fapstronaut

Interesting. I never gave much attention to choral versions. I will try to listen to them more.

About Bach's fugues, I love the scene of Hawking (the first scene of this clip):

And it's interesting that Classical Music was actually relevant to Penrose's works on Physics. See this quote from the book "Composition, Performance, Reception: Studies in the Creative Process in Music":

2022-04-01 144611.png

MitchA likes this.
  13. EdricKr

EdricKr Distinguished Fapstronaut

For those interested in, or curious about, Bach, here is Hélène Grimaud performing Bach's Chaconne from Partita No. 2.

This Brahms sonata, from the same recital, is a showpiece.

Unfortunately, the above two links cannot be embedded, only linked.

For those who like the big sound of movie soundtracks, Hélène Grimaud performs the Brahms First Piano Concerto:

Hope you enjoy.

-EK

Aside to @sh0gun : check out the two Brahms, especially the piano concerto.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  14. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Try Gorecki "Symphony no.3" - modern, cinematic and highly emotional.

15. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Bach and Mozart are my go to composers for an emotional boost, always end up feeling better afterwards, although it is not 'happy' music for the most part. Just 'pleasing' in some way.

If you enjoyed Beethoven symphonies try his string quartets next.