1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

30 Days NoGluten/Sugar Challenge

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by StoicContemplation, Mar 20, 2021.

1. StoicContemplation

StoicContemplation Fapstronaut

Quick update.

I see that it's day 24 of my daily fasting journey.

I have been fasting on a daily basis for the last week.

Most of the days I hit 20hours+. Today it was only for 16h-17h. I went to a restaurant two times this week with a friend. It was a Nepalese and Syrian restaurant, I kept it quite clean [avoided the bread, although it was served]. I had rice but that's okay.

I'll be continuing this lifestyle. I feel pretty good. Skin has slightly improved. I lost some weight [although that's not the reason why I do this, but I have become sharper].

2. StoicContemplation

Day 25

Did a 16-17h fast today.

Ate a lot of cheese during my eating window... Had 4 eggs, vegetables, goat cheese, Gouda cheese, etc. I used a lot of butter for cooking.

I think I will do a monk fast from now, so that means I won't be eating tomorrow.

Currently eating a jar of tomato paste. After this I will start fasting.

Hope you're doing well @MindfulWarrior

3. amx

amx Fapstronaut

How do you like your eggs? Do you use hot sauce?

4. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

I want to join you guys!
    I plan for fail days but I want to make 30days without sugar and minimal gluten/ white bread.
    I don't like the idea of "cheat days" very much because it promotes eating a lot of crap. But a fail day with a reasonable amount of sugar, because I just couldn't say no when someone offered me a cake or something - that can happen, it's ok.

Starting Moday the 4th of April (tomorrow)

5. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

I also want to (continue to) keep away from alcohol most of the time (but I make exceptions for parties, which are rare in my life)
    and from coffee.

6. StoicContemplation

@icebreaker p

Thanks for your post, you come right in time! I'm glad to have you as an accountability partner.

I actually had a rebound for the last days. Last Friday I went somewhere with my family and I had at my sister's place. Pastry dishes, quiche, cookies, etc. were served there and I indulged. Have been eating like crap since then... Today I went to the grocery store under impulse and bought pancakes and a lasagne. Keto + Intermittent fasting was so nice... My skin and energy levels got a lot better because of it.

I didn't update it last week but I did fasting everyday. I also did a 38 hour fast.

I also find that it's way easier to stay away from PMO when I'm eating low carb and nogluten. I've been having more urges than usually in the last couple of days.

icebreaker p likes this.
  7. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

Hello @StoicContemplation (great name, by the way!)
    yes, it's good to have some accountability. So let's do this!

I thought that it would need quite some time to change ones gut bacteria. But I'm reading now that it "changes rapidly with Diet". Here's the article: LINK

So today is my first day and for some reason I started it with a 16-hour fast. I broke it with two tangerines. And then I had to work some more until finally my first proper meal was roasted Calamari rings with self-made garlic-dip and fresh lemon juice. Followed by nuts, raisins and the fresh version of raisins ;)
    Only the Calamari rings were processed food and I guess it contained some gluten but at least it was fish.

I have everything I need at home, so no need to go buy more, like sweets. No this will be a day 1/30

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    StoicContemplation likes this.
  8. StoicContemplation

Day 0

I had some pancakes [finished the package] after midnight so technically it's still day 0.

Today I didn't fast. I had some goat cheese. Went to the butcher and got some dry sausages, blood sausage, meatballs and ground beef. I made some bolognese sauce today and had it with feta cheese.

It's indeed way easier if you don't have the food lying around at home that you want to avoid.

icebreaker p likes this.
  9. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

Roasted Calamari rings from the deep freezer with the heavy crème fraîche garlic-dip, followed by nuts and raisins was a little too much after all,
    Does the day begin for you after midnight, or when you wake up in the morning? Yes, it's a technical question.

I think fasting might make it more difficult to stay sugar and carbon free.

10. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

Sounds delicious!

11. StoicContemplation

I come here to make a clear committment again.

I've been struggling to get back on track since last Friday when I had gluten. I won't outline what I ate for the past week but I have been eating some crap here and there. I'm grateful that my reaction isn't too black and white: I had healthy food too. Made celery juice yesterday. Had a salad a few days ago. Went to the gym.

It's crazy how fast someone can make a 180 though. One week I'm fasting for 20 hours, breaking my fast with eggs and veggies. The other week I'm eating bread again. I even went to the nightshop under impulse to buy chips and soda [I did that on Tuesday].

A slip up is fine. It's not the fist time and a lot of the suffering because of this is in my imagination. Self-inflicted. Thinking too much.

I just had bread and will eat my steak this evening. I will write down the hour of my last meal and then aim for a 16h fast tomorrow. I have also been drinking coffee for the last days. I didn't drink it for more than a month and I'm ditching it again [I see a link between drinking coffee and craving high carb food]. I get my caffeine from yerba mate [which doesn't have that jittery effect like coffee]. A new pack of yerba mate is arriving today normally.

I also have to be wary about the link between a PMO lapse and my eating pattern. When I eat like crap, I tend to feel lethargic where I want to lay down in bed. This is a setting where a PMO lapse happens... I must say that I felt more urges than usually in the last week.

Btw, hope you're doing well @icebreaker p

icebreaker p likes this.
  12. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

I can relate to that, but it's mostly the other way round for me: when I relapse (pmo) most of the time my good habits collapse and I feel like I have a free pass now to eat crap too. Especially in the aftermath of a big relapse I use to treat my negative emotional state with more unhealthy things.

And this is what happened to me yesterday: I pmo'd and failed here too.
    Just another p-relapse for several hours and into the night. Nothing new. But still it dumbfounds me. Well, I know it's a chain of bad decisions that I have made myself, while the addiction swayed me to it and gave me tunnel vision. It's just a too well trained behavior. Anyways, enough of it. This is a threat about nutrition.
    But I think the for both time is a very important factor. As you said, a slip up is fine. But as soon as it comes an on/off think and one never makes a significant streak then there's not enough momentum.

Yes, let's renew our commitments!

I commit myself to tenacious training. I need to do the steps, build a proper structure, keep coming back to it, then success will come. Let's get in that spiral of success and positive reinforcement soon!

13. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

Specifics

- I bought my favourite ice cream and 2 or 3 of it are left in my freezer. I'll ignore that I'll probably eat them sooner or later - doesn't count.

- at my workplace I want to go to the canteen only for lunch. That shall prevent me from buying coffee and sweets and also save money

- I'm thinking about buying a hand mixer for smoothies

14. StoicContemplation

Good that you got it off your chest man.

PMO indeed takes away the impetus/drive to live clean. We deplete ourselves from dopamine that's why we lose the motivation to be disciplined etc.

Day 1

Fasted for about 16-17hours.

Glad to be back on this again. It's always hard to overcome the first hurdle.

Broke my fast with eggs, feta, tomato and advocado. Also had some goat cheese, Gouda cheese, serrano ham, dry sausages, steak, etc.

A lot of proteins, but I'm exercising again.

Had a can of tomato paste about half an hour ago. So my fast starts at +/- 9:30 pm.

icebreaker p likes this.
  15. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

I stopped buying sugar, but it's like jinxed, suddenly I'm getting sweets from everybody.
    It's just not enough I need to stop it for real.
    I commit to not eat any sweets until Eastern.

What about Eastern? I still need to decide.

16. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

I'm glad you're in, too. Let's do it!

17. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

I'm also saving money now. A healthy diet and saving money goes well together, as long as you don't want to eat all fancy all the time. It's more of a basic diet that I'm aiming at now.

So today I was quite frugal but I also bought chocolate pastry from a nice baker who sells his goods in the street. It was more like an event than pure satisfaction of my sweet-tooth. But later I thought: why? I didn't even talk with him this time and why do I still buy sweets??

Maybe it's ok to go not cold turkey immediately, although this, of course, is an excuse. Anyway, I want to go on like this, because I'm already doing quite well and I decided, that after Eastern I want to make the big cut. I need a strong commitment and I need to idenfify as a "sugatarian" from that day on.
    Actually not after Eastern but on Easter Monday. That will be the day!

18. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

Saving money is a good approach and I'm still on track.
    Today I ate a lot of chocolate after my relapse. Actually pmo "mode" and the after-effect is one major factor that make me break my resolutions and eat shitty.

I don't want to except that my f*ing addiction ruins everything. So my new approach is this: DESPITE relapsing, still eat healthy !

19. icebreaker p

icebreaker p Fapstronaut

I plan for the next Monday (18.04.)
    - to stop eating added sugars

and for the Monday one week later (25.04.)
    - to stop consuming coffeine

until 31.06.

20. StoicContemplation

Day 0

Have been eating like shit for the past 1 week+.

Also relapsed with PMO. I broke a 55 day streak after I ate a big pack of cookies.

My energy is drained, I ate junk food this weekend and I just felt lethargic and depressed today. It's a negative cycle of eating junk, feeling like shit, craving more junk etc.

Time to break the cycle again. My progress is not gone.

Tomorrow I'm back on the horse.

Imperator Tartarus likes this.