1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last book you read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 24, 2022.

1. What the title says :) I rate my books on a 5-star scale, but you can rate yours however you'd like.

I'll start us off by rating all the books I've read this month.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - 5/5
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling - 5/5

Yall know what these are about

The Last Thing to Burn by Will Dean - 5/5
    Incredibly powerful story about a Vietnamese victim of human trafficking. The story starts off 5 years into her captivity as the wife of a horribly abusive monster. It was a tough story to read, but really captivating and worth it in the end. I'd highly recommend it, for anyone who is able to stomach something so dark.

The Teacher's Billionaire by Christina Tetreault - 0/5
    I got this ebook for free, and it was my first time giving one of these generic, indie-published romances a shot. And man, it was pretty awful. I could only get through 3 chapters before I decided life is too short to waste any more time reading this.

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid - 5/5
    I've been waiting for this one for a long time. It's been on my hold list at the library for quite a while, but it was worth the wait. TJR is so great at writing characters and family dynamics. It was a great story, but I will say, it was not at all what I thought it would be. I think the blurb for this book is really terrible. It makes it out to be something completely different than what it is. But thankfully, I love TJR's writing and her characters, so I ended up really enjoying it anyway.

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris - 2/5
    This one was... interesting. Started off really captivating. The last chapter was fantastic. But everything in between ended up being a bit boring, very repetitive, unrealistic, and just kind of bland. I kept waiting and hoping for something exciting to happen, and it just never did. Until the last chapter, which is far too late to give the reader any kind of payoff. Disappointing.

What have you guys read lately?

2. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

海が走るエンドロール1, 4/5

3. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

A knight of the seven Kingdoms of G.R.R.Martin
    4/5 The story some parts are slow and the interesting moments are around the Targaryens,
    where are the dragons ?.
    [​IMG]

4. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

Last book I finished

Thus Spoke Zarathustra 10/10. (It was so good a 5/5 rating would do it injustice)

All other self-help books fall short of it. It is a self-help book.

5. Morior Invictus

Morior Invictus Fapstronaut

You want some bangers on the level of Thus Spoke Zarathustra is
    Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth
    Eckart Tolle's Wild at heart
    AND
    Endurance (Shackletons voyage I forgot the author)

Also 10/10's in my opinion where a 5 star would not suffice

Brain-Police and FirefromAbove like this.
  6. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

The Sun also rises by Ernest Hemingway - 3/5
    Many hidden meanings most of which were certainly lost on the reader. Study of pathetic characters. Not recommended for recovering incels.

Brain-Police, Cherubim, ice9 and 3 others like this.
  7. Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren - 4/5

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this one as the story progressed, because the love-interest betrayed the main character in a pretty significant way early on in the book. So I wasn't really sure if I was going to be able to forgive him and get on board with her getting back together with him.

But, in the end, it worked out well and I was able to be happy about them being together again. It wasn't my favorite love story ever, but it was enjoyable and the writing was good. It's been a little bit since I've read a good romance, so it was enjoyable.

Revanthegrey likes this.
  8. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

The necronomicon of H.P.Lovecraft 5/5
    Amazing , there is always a sensation of mistery and sometimes horror on their pages, this book was a collection of shorts stories, it was an interesting experience , my first book of horror.

9. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 5/5

I really enjoyed this one. There were some significant points in the book that were left out of the movie, and I loved getting to hear all of that background on The Maurauders, Lupin, Black, Pettigrew, and Harry's dad. That was really interesting.

I think Professor Lupin might be one of my favorite characters. I liked him in the movies, but he's even better in this book.

Although I still think one of the most ridiculous parts of Harry Potter is the fact that nobody in the entirety of Hogwarts decides to take Harry away from the Dursleys. I mean, it's like super well known that his aunt and uncle are abusive and that they don't care about him at all. If he just went to Hogwarts for a school year and then decided to live with Ron's family from then on, and never returned home or spoke to the Dirsleys again, they probably wouldn't even care or bother to try to get him back. They'd just be happy to have him out of their hair. Heck, he'd even be better off sleeping on Hagrid's floor or living with Professor Mcgonagall.

This is made even more obvious when Sirius Black offers to have Harry come live with him, and Harry accepts immediately, because duh. It doesn't end up working out, but it just highlights how easy it would be for him to just live with someone else. Sure, Sirius was his actual legal guardian, but does anyone think the Dursleys would actually sue Ron's parents, or file a police report at all, if they simply took Harry and didn't bring him back to them? I really doubt it.

Revanthegrey likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview Fapstronaut

I liked this story, read it a few years back. There are no dragons because the dragons are long dead by the time the story takes place. Baffled that HBO are choosing to make a GoT spinoff and not adapt this.

I've read every Lovecraft story, including the ones he collaborated with others on. Which ones were in that collection?

Revanthegrey likes this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Great idea for a thread, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this one. Here are a few books I read these past months.

The Housekeeper and the Professor. Bittersweet drama about a housekeeper and her son who look after a maths genius with recurring memory loss. Very creative and easy to read. Recommended.

Men Without Women. A short story collection, and another bittersweet book. Every short story is about men who (and this is taken to quite interesting places) have no women in their lives. Recommended.

Snuff. Edgy schlock from the creator of Fight Club. Nowhere near as good as other works from the guy. Not recommended, especially for people on this site.

Book of the New Sun volume 1. Sci-fi epic about a torturer who is exiled from his guild for falling in love with a prisoner. Lots of symbolism, with an unreliable narrator that makes you question what you are reading. Not for everyone but I liked it a lot and have the second volume on order.

12. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

The stories were Dagon, the alquimist, Ex oblivione, The music of Erich Zann,The book(fragment), The silver key,the tomb, the street, the beast on the cave.
    My favourist was Dagon.

13. Daniel Plainview

I'm quite surprised with that selection, I would have expected some of the more famous works. If you are interested in reading more, I recommend this set

The Whisperer in Darkness: Collected Stories Volume One: 1 (Tales of Mystery & The Supernatural): Amazon.co.uk: Lovecraft, H.P., Elliot, M.J., Elliot, M.J., Davies, David Stuart: 9781840226089: Books

They are very cheap and across the 4, there is every story Lovecraft wrote.

Revanthegrey likes this.
  14. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

Brain-Police likes this.
  15. I'm trying to reas this book called The Date by Louise Jensen, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm about 14 chapters in, and I'm still kind of bored. There have been several scenes that I think are supposed to be a bit intense and thrilling, but they just bored me. It's been a lot of repetition of her thinking someone might be in her house, and then not finding him, and then that repeating. Idk, it just hasn't held my interest yet at all.

And the main premise of the book is that she has been in an altercation, that she can't fully remember, that has given her brain damage that caused her to have Facial Blindness. But so far, I feel like that has barely even come into play. I thought it would be a little more twisty, like she is spending a lot of time with people and we aren't sure if maybe her attacker is one of them, because she can't recognize anybody. But instead, it's mostly been about the guy being in her house and messing with her that way, which has nothing to do with her facial blindness. That could happen in any book about any subject. So it really seems like, so far, this book hasn't delivered on the premise at all, which is disappointing.

Revanthegrey likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Book of the New Sun volume 2 arrived. One of my favorite parts of the story as a whole is how it subverts the "hero is super cool and gets all the girls" trope by having what the protagonist is recounting be obviously embellished. Every woman he comes across in the story he either makes fall in love with him or at least sleeps with, and it's blatant that he is lying about at least some of it.

17. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

The kite runner 4/5

someone online suggested I read it, it was fantastic, even though I hate reading about wars and politics, this book was a different experience, I enjoy books specially the ones with real struggles, It is a good book overall.

Kieran2121 and Revanthegrey like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

This book (Book of the New Sun) is absolutely wild. Despite not being a best seller or anything it was obviously very influential on a lot of people. GRR Martin seems to have taken certain plot elements right from it, while Annihilation (the sci fi mmovie with Natalie Portman) has an alien bear that steals the voices of those it eats - this book has the same concept.

Revanthegrey and TakingTheSteps like this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Finished Book of the New Sun. What a ride. Probably my favorite book of the year so far. Just edging out Lolita, which I read in January.

It's a hard book to recommend to the casual reader; the constant use of made-up or archaic words and the deliberate vague and esoteric nature of it all makes it tough going at times and there are large sections that serve a clear purpose after the fact but are a little tedious in the moment.

Having said all that, I still have to recommend it highly in the end. Due to the nature of the story, I feel like I cannot elaborate too much on what I liked about it without spoiling the various threads that make up this 1200 page epic. For those who read it casually, it's a thoroughly entertaining romp full of fun moments, suspense, and action. For those willing to engage with the philosophical, religious, and scientific concepts the story brings up, it may well end up being a masterpiece.

Revanthegrey and 183.204 g/mol like this.
  20. War and peace by leo tolstoy (wordsworth classic translation) 10/10
    I think this book is just perfect , the characters , the prose and the plot . Perfect.

To kill a mockingbird , 9/10
    Its a kids point of view of the unjust world , good but not even close to war and peace.

A hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    I would not recommend this book as it contains some very triggering content and I myself have not read it more than hundred pages because I couldnt compromise on my streak , other than the erotic content , this book is pure gold (as far as I have read it)