1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The most scary thing you have done?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 2, 2022.

1. It was learning to do a backflip at home by myself some weeks ago. I felt I was simply going to accept death.

The overwhelming feeling of being fully scared I never felt that, I didn't even know I had so much fear in me. I had to fully let go of any idea of who I was to do the backflip it was so mental not so much physical. The fact that you have to do it perfect otherwise you can die by doing a backflip was a very subconscious fear that it was hard to let go. Eventuality I went to a trampoline park and learned how to do it.

I think facing death is one of the hardest or the hardest thing in life.

What is the most scary thing you have done?

lord_nelson likes this.
  2. Having a really difficult conversation with my mom and sister. It's pretty much the first time we have ever had such a serious disagreement, and the conversation went about a million times worse than I even feared it would. It was horrible. I felt like I was going to throw up, and then I ended up leaving our sleepover early and going home to bawl my eyes out all night.

Things still aren't the same as they used to be, for me. There is a rift between me and my family that wasn't there before, due to some serious issues we disagree about, and while we still have a great relationship, I can't pretend it doesn't feel different. My mom and sister used to be the people in my life I could say absolutely anything to without fear of judgement or that they would disagree or see me differently, and that's just not really the case anymore.

It sucks, tbh. But I'm really grateful to have a very supportive husband who I still have that kind of relationship with. He's my greatest confidante.

3. Morior Invictus

Morior Invictus Fapstronaut

Honestly any resistance in life i.e. negative emotions formed from your ego is just a form of fear. Fear you're wrong, fear your to small, fear you're weak, etc. So id have to say being born was the scariest

4. I'd really like to know what the topic of this was. What could be so important as to cause a rift between a once completely secure familial relationship? But if it's too personal, never mind.

5. It's not really too personal, it's just political/religious and highly controversial and not something I want to discuss on this particular forum. People who are not Christians might not understand and I don't want to start any debates or something.

To be clear, it's not like we have a bad relationship now or anything. We still have a good relationship and hang out all the time and stuff. It's just that when it comes to political issues or religious issues, I no longer feel like I can comfortably talk to them without worrying that they are going to respond poorly.

If you really want to know, I could PM you or something, but it would basically be against the sites rules for me to talk about it here.

Edit: I PM'ed you, and I apologize in advance for how much I rambled and turned it into a therapy session for myself. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2022
    Pentatonic likes this.
  6. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

The scariest thing I've done and still do is let other people read my writing and hear their critical feedback whether that's submitting my essays on my course or writing on Medium. I find at times I can get really anxious because I want everything to be right. I think I get anxious because I want my facts to be correct and worry I might be making a mistake.

GigglingTrout likes this.
  7. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

That's tough. I'm not speaking to my sister anymore. She and her husband aren't happy with me because I established some boundaries. From what I can tell the husband seemed to think apologising to me meant I would drop all boundaries but no, when you repeatedly harass someone on social media it's going to take more than one apology to establish trust.

8. Family battles are so tough :/ I'm grateful my situation isn't anywhere close to that, but I have had situations like that with my cousin in the past and it's so stressful. It makes every family event into a stomach ache instead of a happy gathering. Especially for me, because I really dislike conflict.

onceaking likes this.
  9. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I was full of anxiety around Christmas because I thought I would see her and her husband but they never turned up which I'm relieved about. The thought of being in the same room as them fills me with anxiety because I have no idea what will happen. They're the kind of people who can't keep their political beliefs to themselves and I don't know how I would respond if they said something political. I used to just ignore them but when there came a point when I couldn't remain silent. I don't know why they can't keep their politics to themselves as I do. And really it isn't even about them having political differences, it's about how they handle the differences. They act like they know everything and anyone who disagrees with them is stupid. They have no interest in having a respectful debate, their response to someone who disagrees with them is to get mad at them, call them names, and shame them on social media.

10. Dude, this is like exactly what happened with my cousin. Only it was more about religious stuff than politic stuff. He used to be a really hardcore atheist, and by that I mean not just someone who doesn't believe but someone who hates God and hates Christians and spends all day bashing them online. I got so fed up with it that I once decided to politely remind him on one of his posts that his entire family is Christian, and posting such cruel things about Christians is pretty disrespectful and hurtful to the people he loves. So after that, instead of just posting general stuff, he started posting even more and directing stuff directly at me. Posting on my page, tagging me in stuff, etc.

It was really horrible. And I'm not one to go off on people or something, but I'm also not one to just lie down and not defend myself or say something. It became a massive problem that effected our entire family, especially his mom because she was deeply upset by what he was doing and how he was pretty much attacking me 24/7.

But the coolest part of that story is that I spent years praying for him, and a few years after all of this happened, he asked me to share my story with him about my faith and such, and he was asking for the purpose of mocking me or debunking me. And instead he ended up becoming a Christian himself. Lol we still disagree about some political stuff these days, but he's apologized for all of that stuff in the past and everything is completely fine between us now.

So yeah, prayers were answered big time! I'll pray for you and your family as well. No situation is too great or too hopeless for God to change.

11. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Thanks for that and it's good your cousin changed but I don't know if my sister ever will. She has been like this all her life. I can't remember a time when she's ever apologised to anyone or even admitted she was wrong about anything. Whenever anything goes wrong she always blames other people and never owns what she's done. I honestly don't know how anyone can be like that. Sure it's not good to apologise for things that aren't your fault but to walk around as if you're incapable of doing anything wrong is beyond me. Some people say she's a bit of a narcist and I think they might be right.

12. jurte

jurte Fapstronaut

It's hard to say. There were many things, I would say that I'm not the type of guy who gets scared easily, but I definitely am anxious pretty often. However, the biggest fear I had to endure was the time when my parents got into a huge fight, it almost got physical, I mean it was so close. Also, maybe a time when I almost got beat up by some gang during a house party.

lord_nelson likes this.
  13. Be the exception

Be the exception Fapstronaut

Well what is their political stance? There’s a good chance they do know a lot and the people that disagree are stupid.

14. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I'm not going to say. It's against the rules to discuss politics in the off-topic section and their political stance isn't even the point really. A good friend of mine has similar political views to them but what separates her from them is she hasn't called me names for disagreeing with her, nor has she harassed me on social media. The issue isn't that we disagree, it's how they express their disagreement. And like I said my sister has always refused to take any responsibility for her own behaviour even before she had these political views.

A part of me feels sorry for them because they must feel so miserable being worked up about politics all the time and not taking any personal responsibility. From my experience, it's empowering to own your own stuff because that's when you start to take control of your own life.

hope4healing likes this.
  15. Be the exception

Be the exception Fapstronaut

Well we all know what your political stance is.

16. Psalm27:1my light

Psalm27:1my light Fapstronaut

Bull riding when I was 17. Pretty much any work with livestock is dangerous and I do it daily.

lord_nelson likes this.