1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The pernicious habit of onanism (treatise from the 1800s)- avoidation that will make you quit

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by goodnice 2.0, Jul 5, 2022.

1. The heart and the mind suffer as much as the body from excesses of masturbation. To be assured of this we have only to remember the power exercised by the genital organs in the physiological state, on the ideas and feelings. Generally the necessity which the onanist experiences for dissembling his tastes and for concealing a habit which is both ridiculous and vile, renders him taciturn: his eyes are turned from the gaze of those around: he loves solitude, avoids the world and is embarrassed, and almost as it were ashamed of himself. His manner might sometimes pass for timidity, we might almost say for innocence, but it is entirely changed, when being in company with professed onanists he no longer feels restraint.

It is to this habit of dissimulation, this inquietude with which the onanist is constantly haunted, that Montegre attributes particularly the difference between self-pollution and coition: but this moral torment is far as we shall see from being the only one with which the onanist is affected.

In fact, he constantly experiences a sensation of sadness and ennui, which is impressed on his countenance and which is the natural consequence of restlessness and of the fatigue which he feels constantly. He is sad as one is when suffering, and when debility are felt. This inward feeling of shame which is banished with difficulty when the actions reputed to be bad are often repeated, must also contribute to increase his melancholy and sadness. But perhaps the worst feelings which torment him, are regret and remorse. The exhaustion of his system, his sufferings, the near approach of death often render him desperate. He remembers the time when he did not indulge in onanism: he remembers those who first taught him that vice: his shame, his pains and fears all come up strongly before him. Being the author of his own misfortunes he constantly reproaches himself, and he remembers all that has been said to wean him from the habit. Now picture with these regrets these fears, and the despair we have described, the existence of this fatal habit which cannot be overcome. The onanist knows this danger and yet he cannot break himself of his bad habit.

It can readily be supposed that onanists tortured by the present and by the thoughts of the future which appears to them overshadowed with clouds, have often wished to terminate their sufferings criminally. This has in fact sometimes happened. “I do not believe,” writes an onanist to Tissot, “that any human being has suffered as much as I have. Without the special care of Providence I should find it difficult to support the burden of life.” Some have not the courage to sustain life. Esquirol has often known masturbation to lead to melancholy and suicide. Orfila also mentions among the occasional causes of suicide “the physical and moral disgust, intellectual apathy without any hope of cure which often follows premature indulgences of every kind.” If the resources of nature had been known to those who thus abandon themselves to despair; if they had witnessed, as we have, the rapidity with which the health is restored,

when onanism is arrested, if they had believed in the healing power of time, they would have seen that their pains might disappear, their strength might have been restored, and they might have enjoyed a long and happy life. The following case will teach onanists not to despair.

A Treatise on the Diseases produced by Onanism, Masturbation, Self-pollution, and other excesses., by Léopold Deslandes, M. D.--a Project Gutenberg eBook

2. @NfBigGlP
    note: the word taciturn here means 'reserved or uncommunicative in speech; saying little; shy'. Other synonyms include
    untalkative
    uncommunicative
    reticent
    unforthcoming
    quiet
    unresponsive
    secretive
    silent
    tight-lipped
    close-mouthed
    mute
    dumb
    inarticulate
    reserved
    withdrawn
    introverted
    retiring

The point is that masturbation makes you much more shy and introverted and significantly lowers your ability to charm and attract women. The opposite is that if you dont do it, you will find yourself more confident, more able to look others in the eye, speak better and more fluidly, less awkward, etc

Now you might have been shy your whole life even before pmo. My point is that pmo would make your shyness and awkwardness worse though.

You must tell your parents about your struggle with pmo, no matter how hard it may seem. As stopping is the most important thing at your tender age of 14. Stopping is more important than any amount of embarrassment you would feel telling them.

PMO is the WORST habit a young boy can have, worse than pretty much any other bad habit. I wish you luck in your life, and please leave this habit

Be assured that you can be cured of your difficulty. Many have been, both male and female, and you can be also if you determine that it must be so.

This determination is the first step. That is where we begin. You must decide that you will end this practice, and when you make that decision, the problem will be greatly reduced at once.

But it must be more than a hope or a wish, more than knowing that it is good for you. It must be actually a DECISION. If you truly make up your mind that you will be cured, then you will have the strength to resist any tendencies which you may have and any temptations which may come to you.

After you have made this decision, then observe the following specific guidelines:
    STEPS IN OVERCOMING MASTURBATION (hmc.edu)

3. NfBigGlP

NfBigGlP Fapstronaut

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  4. Tommygun_!

Tommygun_! Fapstronaut

Excellent post good sir. A bit difficult to navigate the big words but this hits the nail on the head without a doubt. This needs to be taught in schools.

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  5. Thank you, appreciate your comment. PM me your podcast, would love to take a listen if thats okay with you

6. I've noticed some good changes since I started on this road. More confidence, more energy, and more motivation. The problem, if one could call it that, is that I tend to be more aggressive now when people try to be assholes toward me.

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  7. Kierann

Kierann Fapstronaut

It's a bit unnerving to see that the information about the effects of MO have been here for hundreds of years.

I love your posts. They are more 5han good, more than nice. They are goodnice :)

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  8. yes it has been, MO used to be considered basically suicide, egregious self harm... notice how in internet age, they reversed what
    And aw haha that was clever man :)

Go through my thread history, there may be other gems you may have missed

Kieran2121 likes this.