1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing an instrument

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by jerr91, Oct 8, 2015.

1. jerr91

jerr91 Fapstronaut

I'm on the road to becoming the once amazing cellist I was before and have found solace in this beautiful instrument once more. They say music is like food for the soul so technically my soul should have died of starvation ages ago but when I begin playing, I feel like it's coming back to life... slowly but surely receiving nourishment from the music. I can't explain the feeling but I get this euphoric rush (similar to ASMR but without the physiological response) and it's heavenly.

If you play an instrument--or even if you don't--I beg you to pick one up! Or even just listening to music is great!

Do you play an instrument and what do you play?

GK33, Calm, Zubaru and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loren

Loren Guest

I play keyboard,piano and all percussion including drumset. It is good to have something you are passionate about.

Calm likes this.
  3. philstronaut

philstronaut Fapstronaut

I'm a bassist, and also play guitar and sing. It's so valuable both as a release for expression and as a discipline to pour energy into.

Do you ever play with other musicians @jerr91 ?

Calm and Zubaru like this.
  4. Zubaru

Zubaru Fapstronaut

If play Guitar, Piano, Synthesizer and Pretty much everything I can use with my keyboard on my computer, I actually produce electronic music too. I completely agree with you, playing on my guitar is kind of meditative for me, the pleasant sound and the feel of strumming just puts you in a special place, I can imagine playing cello is like that too. Cello is also a really beautiful instrument. I also listen to music all the time as well, music is just really good for inspiration and motivation. I too would recommend everyone that doesn't already, to engage in music in some kind of way.

Calm likes this.
  5. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

I use to play piano, viola, and trumpet.

Then the drugs took it all away from me.

Not really haha the drugs came like 2 years after I quit all those instruments in like 6th grade.

I am an avid music listener though and do appreciate musicians very much.

Any drum players here, what did yall think of Whiplash hahaha?

6. Zubaru

Zubaru Fapstronaut

I was actually considering learning viola, but I just don't know where to buy one, they aren't the most popular, it's way easier to get hold of a violin.

Calm likes this.
  7. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

Violin was too small and whiny for my instrument tastes in 4th grade lmao, yet a cello was too big, hence the viola!

I love the violin these days :D

8. jerr91

jerr91 Fapstronaut

Oh nice, the bass is an integral part of music! When I was in school, we had a small strings group but they were all crap. Would love to play in a chamber group one day though. I also play piano more seriously, but prefer the sound of the cello.

9. I play the guitar, but i suck..:(

10. philstronaut

philstronaut Fapstronaut

At some point so did Hendrix and Clapton. Gotta put in the hours!

11. I play guitar and sing. Though I'm not so good at playing guitar. I think it's because I don't invest a lot of time. I sing great though

12. deadrole7

deadrole7 Fapstronaut

I play the guitar too, & have a passion for metal riffs & atmospheric rhythms. It helps soothing the pain I hold inside.