1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by deadrole7, Dec 8, 2015.

1. deadrole7

deadrole7 Fapstronaut

Hi

I've seen tons of posts advising "cold showers" here and elsewhere.
    But seriously, I did take a mildly cold shower a few days ago, I felt the benefits right after it...however I have a mild cold now.Actually I remember catching a cold some days after every time I decided to turn the knob slightly to cold in bathroom.
    I used to have sinusitis quite often some years ago, but it's been a long time since the last time I had sinusitis.Do you guys think this "cold" from cold showers symptom is something related to that, something like I'm more sensitive to it? or am I doing it in an improper way?

I tend to envy the guys who manage to take Ice Cold showers and feel a million bucks afterwards, without having to worry about catching a cold, even in severe winter days.A little bit of cold feels too cold to me. Any suggestion on how to get used to "cold showers" ?

2. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Hi, no excuses put the knob so cold as possible.

3. deadrole7

deadrole7 Fapstronaut

Dude, I watched the video...& strangely I went straight to the bathroom and actually took an ice cold shower for the first time in my life! Man it was intense! I just wanted to say.. thank you.

Words can't describe how I feel right now.But I can't forget the first seconds I got under the water, I was like "JESSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS" seriously, but it is well worth it. I realized I was just making up excuses.It has nothing to do with my cold whatsoever!

Again, I must really thank you for posting the video.I'm a very impressionable person, and sometimes it causes me trouble, but it worked positively here lol

4. Macabre

Macabre Fapstronaut

Keep taking them, but I must let you know, the initial feeling will soon subside.

After a while, you will be looking for colder showers. You'll beg for it to snow just so you can make snow angels wearing nothing but boxers.

You'll travel to the arctic to scream violently while the rush of endorphins and testosterone run through your bloodstream.

And then.... you'll be introduced to the liquid nitrogen showers....

Nobody ever comes back from a liquid nitrogen shower....

5. oxdevelopment

oxdevelopment Fapstronaut

I would recommend starting with 30 seconds each day. And add another 10-30 seconds each day. This way you will get used to cold showers

6. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

I am glad it helped you!
    I take 5 minute showers, but i still remember the feeling after the first cold shower i took.
    The feeling was great!

JoePineapples likes this.
  7. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

I don't think you can catch a cold from a cold shower… a cold is a virus (or rather a group of different viruses) that you catch from other people. The name is confusing I'll grant you that, but it comes from folk wisdom (ie old wives tales) that a cold can be caught from exposure to cold weather. This is because some of the viruses are more prevalent in winter, more from social reasons (more people cooped up together inside hence easier transmission).

Prolonged exposure to cold damp environments could weaken your immune system, making you more susceptible to the virus, but everything I have read about cold showers says they boost the immune system.

I'm not in the business of "selling" cold showers, but the benefits for me have been dramatic.

8. SunDrew

SunDrew Fapstronaut

There is no "getting used" to cold showers. There is no correlation between the body being cold and getting sick. Cold showers actually boost the immune system. You having a cold is just the mind trying to rationalize to not do it. It's the same part of the mind that tells yourself, "Well, I haven't PMO'ed for 30 days. I've earned a jerk it session." Doing cold showers makes your mind stronger against those types of things. Once you fracture a little bit, your entire foundation begins to crumbs. Just get out and do it. And if you do falter, forgive yourself and fix it as soon as possible.

JoePineapples and Macabre like this.
  9. iborntobefree

iborntobefree Fapstronaut

I also do every morning an as cold as possible cold shower, but I think it's important when one is sick not to stick to them, as cold shower is stressing the body and when our body is weaker than usually, it needs all the energy to heal itself. I personaly do no cold showers when I'm sick, but I think this is common sens, not even neccesary to mention.

JoePineapples likes this.
  10. Macabre

Macabre Fapstronaut

I would still stick to it. I have bronchitis right now but I'm still getting in every day. The human body has been exposed to much worse and is built to survive extreme situations at times, so you are perfectly fine.

Deleted Account and SunDrew like this.
  11. SunDrew

SunDrew Fapstronaut

I just took a cold shower in the dark today while listening to inspirational music. My mind wanted desperately to turn the water warm but I didn't. I told myself, "I do not fear what I cannot see. I do not fear the unknown and I embrace adversity. I become stronger from it."

Low, Hamartovi and Deleted Account like this.
  12. randompatriot

randompatriot Fapstronaut

I kinda did when I started out XD But after years I simply don't mind it (still feel the cold though). Sure in winter it gets freakin' dreadful to start, but I do find that it helps the body in many ways.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't quit warm showers (which I occasionally do, especially after intense workout, its not a good idea to jump straight into cold water, you must either let the body cool down or gradually decrease the temperature to prevent muscle injury caused by the sudden change in temp), but after the warm shower I would stay at least 3-4 minutes under cold water to finish accordingly.

13. expedendeavour

expedendeavour Fapstronaut

I'd like to 'second' what has already been said above, and just add my experience. I have ALWAYS gotten the flu in the spring and fall for as long as I can remember. However since I started all-cold showers in June of this year I've yet to get sick. *fingers crossed.* So it seems what they say about an improved immune system just might be true.

JoePineapples and iborntobefree like this.
  14. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

Is it possible that cold showers condition you to not take showers at all? I've found that after a week or so of them I can't stand the idea of setting foot in the shower, wondering if anyone has any sort of experience for that.

15. Macabre

Macabre Fapstronaut

you have to keep taking them

JoePineapples and Michael Scarn like this.
  16. deadrole7

deadrole7 Fapstronaut

It's my 3rd day so far and I'm already learning to enjoy them.The coldness makes my heart beat like real fast, a naughty intercourse with water maybe? And it makes you ejaculate for the rest of the day lol
    So intense, so great!

17. deadrole7

deadrole7 Fapstronaut

I meant life becomes a permanent orgasm, so we won't even be in need of that 5 seconds of compulsive "pleasure" :D

iborntobefree likes this.
  18. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

another nice video about cold showers.

19. ImDaniel

ImDaniel Fapstronaut

Just set as a goal to take one cold shower every day, after one or two weeks it should become normal to you and you will not suffer any more when taking a shower.

20. ImDaniel

ImDaniel Fapstronaut

The main speaker in the video is a guy, sitting in the snow and wearing only a swimming short. The part with the woman in the shower can be triggering indeed.