1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you Adam and Eve it?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by IGY, Dec 31, 2015.

1. IGY

IGY Guest

God Made Eve From Adam’s Penis, Not His Rib, Academic Claims

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/god-made-eve-adam-penis-082511741.html
    Yahoo News: 30 December 2015

It’s certainly a shake-up for the book of Genesis - but a Biblical scholar has argued that Eve was made from Adam’s penis, not his rib.

Biblical scholar Professor Ziony Zevit suggests that Eve was made from Adam’s ‘baculum’ or penis bone - and that’s why Man doesn’t have one.

Professor Zevit, of the American Jewish University in Maryland said the Hebrew word ‘tsela’, doesn’t actually translate as 'rib’ and instead 'refers to limbs sticking out sideways from an upright human body.’

Hence Eve’s surprising origins from below Adam’s belt.

The word ‘tzela’ or ‘tsela’ is used in several different senses in the Old Testament - and Professor Zevit claims that this has confused translators.

He says that it refers to any protruding part of the anatomy, including feet, arms and penis.

Zevit says, ‘'Of these appendages, the only one lacking a bone is the penis.’

Other Biblical scholars are less convinced, with some pointing out that the word ‘tzela’ means rib in post-Biblical Hebrew.

2. owler

owler Fapstronaut

Well that is a very interesting find! I suppose it does make a bit of sense, but i doubt it will be taken seriously by the religious community at large.

Krutonpalmer3 likes this.
  3. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

Goofy.

The Book of Genesis is a poetic statement of truth, not a biology text. The point of the rib is that is at the man's side -- implying that, when the man and woman come together, they are joined there: side by side. Also, the idea is that the man senses in the woman that is him but not him, a commonality-with-difference. A man can see the rib in himself and in the woman, but a penis? It doesn't work.

Deleted Account and Dr. J like this.
  4. goodboy1

goodboy1 Fapstronaut

I believe that eve was made from Adam rib.
    And God said: ‘O Mankind! Be dutiful to your Lord, Who created you from a single person (Adam) and from Him (Adam) He created his wife (Eve), and from them both He created many men and women.’” (Quran 4:1)
    The traditions of Prophet Muhammad relate that Eve was created while Adam was sleeping from his shortest left rib and that, after sometime, she was clothed with flesh. He (Prophet Muhammad) used the story of Eve’s creation from Adam’s rib as a basis for imploring people to be gentle and kind to women. “O Muslims! I advise you to be gentle with women, for they are created from a rib, and the most crooked portion of the rib is its upper part. If you try to straighten it, it will break, and if you leave it, it will remain crooked; so I urge you to take care of the women.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

Lioness likes this.
  5. IGY

IGY Guest

I wonder if this is why Freud came up with the idea of penis envy haha :p

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Yeah, I'm not so sure about the penis thing. Having said that, I sure am glad my penis is 100% bone free!

Also, the rib is close to, and protects the heart. When God took it out of Adam, his heart was left vulnerable. He wasn't independent anymore, he needed a woman to complete him and fulfil the desire in his heart.

7. IGY

IGY Guest

But maybe that is where the slang word boner comes, for an erection. :D

8. IGY

IGY Guest

Hmm, I am not so sure of this interpretation. Jesus Christ and the Apostle Paul both stated that celibacy is a preferred state to marriage. But this interpretation would mean that those who follow this divine guidance are "vulnerable", "dependent" and would need "a woman to complete him and fulfil the desire in his heart." That cannot be right, surely, @Rubidium. :confused:

9. hmmmmm

10. It sounded good when I wrote it :D

11. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

The book of Genesis? I bet.

12. MyNameIsX

MyNameIsX Fapstronaut

Men also don't have a tail.

13. IGY

IGY Guest

Neither do women. What's your point @MyNameIsX. :confused:

14. IGY

IGY Guest

No @Deadlihood, Rubi's post is not based on any bible passage.

15. Beopus

Beopus Fapstronaut

How has nobody made a joke about being joined at the hips yet :V

16. MyNameIsX

MyNameIsX Fapstronaut

Women don't have a penis bone either. Before you say that women don't have a penis, other female species have a female equivalent of the penis bone, which human females also lack.

'refers to limbs sticking out sideways from an upright human body.’ could easily refer to a tail. Most animals with tails use it as an extra limb, for example to aid balance or to hang from branches. Penises are rarely used or described as limbs. Humans don't have penis bones, but they also don't have tails. If a human were to stand upright and have a tail, chances are it would stick out sideways just as much as a penis with a penis bone.

So, why pick penis bone when a tail seems just as likely an explanation?

17. IGY

IGY Guest

How would I know? You would have to ask: