1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else here play musical instruments?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Aaayron, May 1, 2016.

1. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Just curious to see if anyone else is passionate about an instrument like me. I for one have a huge interest in guitar and bass at the moment, and am even thinking about saving money to invest in a drum set too as I have taken a liking to the world of percussion as well :D Basically, I want to record some original music soon. I already have a few songs composed and notated. It's only a matter of getting them played in real life, so other than learning all the instruments, I also kinda wanna form a band and whatnot. The dream is still very much alive :D

But enough about me, how about you guys? Any favorite instruments to play? Something common like guitar or piano? Or maybe a bit more unorthodox like cello or clarinet or bagpipes maybe? Feel free to talk about it here!

2. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

I'm a guitarist too. been playing since a decade through a lot of improvs and covers.

I'm really digging my new guitar (jackson soloist sl2) and not so long ago i broke my acoustic guitar :(, So i'm saving money for a new one.
    Other than that, i would really love a 5-string bass to jam some heavy metal.

Star Lord and Aaayron like this.
  3. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Nice (c=

I'm working on some composition stuff right now like you. I play piano/keyboard, celtic/classical style guitar, various simple woodwinds, can do electric guitar but it has been years, and the Great Highland Bagpipes.

What are you using for your notation / scoring? What plans you have for recording? At the moment I'm building my own soundproof home studio. =^D

4. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Oy, really sorry about the acoustic. They do tend to be quite fragile, which is why I don't really fancy them too much. My main player's currently a Squier VM Strat. I absolutely love it but am still planning to save up for a big boy guitar like a legit Fender soon ;)

I myself have also been considering 5 string basses for a while, but then I remember that I'm only really 4 months into bass and I feel that I should master the 4 string first haha. Rock on man :D

5. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Whoa, you seem to have a much cooler variety of instruments under your belt! I love me some bagpipes :D

To answer your questions though, I only really use TuxGuitar atm, which is pretty much a free, open source (and slightly crappier) version of GuitarPro. And as for recording, I've been dreaming about taking up sound engineering in the near future and getting enough money to afford my own somewhat professional home studio, where I produce, record, mix, and master all my songs! Maybe even form a band in the process to be able to perform said compositions in a live setting and get exposure and whatnot haha. A guy can dream :p

Also, big congrats to you on the studio thing you got going on (mad envious right now actually lol) and here's hoping it turns out great :) Feel free to keep us posted on progress updates if you ever feel like it!

letter likes this.
  6. I make music with my laptop and a midi keyboard. I also DJ occasionally.

Taylor25, Star Lord and Aaayron like this.
  7. I'm a drummer and play Tenor and Alto sax in my high school band. I use instruments to relieve stress after a hard day and just to have fun. Music is a huge part of my life and I would be lost without it.

8. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Drummer of 12 years.
    Give me a song and a day, and I will have learned the whole drums for it.
    I can't read drum music for shit though.

Taylor25 and Aaayron like this.
  9. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Ooh electronic music! I do like to delve into that category sometimes when I just want to jam out to some modern tunes and whatnot and get with the times (why do I sound like I'm an old geezer I'm only 17 lol) :) I've been considering a MIDI keyboard for a while now, as I do fancy the nice effects it can have going. Could make for several inspirations for compositions and whatnot :D

Taylor25 likes this.
  10. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

That's a nice list of instruments you got going there man! Really interesting :) I suppose you're also in a band (rock, I presume?) as a drummer no? Since I find that drummers are rarely ever not in bands. But it may just be a stereotype of mine lol.

11. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Damn bro I bet you have a talent (or is it skill from tons of practice?) for transcribing drum patterns and whatnot. That's super cool :D What songs are your favorites to rock out to if I may ask?

Star Lord likes this.
  12. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

Ah, yes!
    I play the piano, and I compose video game music. Separately from each other, as the music I write isn't meant to be played. I'd share something, but I'd rather not disclose my identity that way. [​IMG]

Aaayron and Star Lord like this.
  13. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

I play guitar. I have an accoustic guitar for more than 12 years and an electric guitar(which I love the most) for 7 years. And I, also, play piano a little, I don't have that one though.

14. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Yeah everyone says I'm gifted, I had taught myself basic beat with some variation before my first ever drum lesson.

Theres literally hundreds of songs I have memorised, it's hard to tell my favourites.
    But if I made a list it would be,
    • rush - spirit of the radio
    • machine head - who we are
    • symphony x - eve of seduction
    • symphony x - incantations of the apprentice
    • megadeth - holy wars
    • megadeath - tornado of souls
    • bon jovi - dude looks like a lady
    • alien ant farm - movies
    • rush - limelight
    • van halen - jump
    • van halen - girl gone bad
    • slipknot - my plague
    • slipknot - duality
    • slipknot - psychosocial

I could go on and on, I also play many many 60s-80s songs of all genres.

I like rock and metal in particular though because it's a challenge to drum to that genre.

Taylor25 and Aaayron like this.
  15. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Oh wow man! I do love me some video game music :D Is it true that they're meant to only be background sound that can motivate you to keep playing so you can somewhat use them to help with studying and whatnot? I'm leaning more towards 8-bit video game music from the 90's here, since that's the first thing to pop into my mind when I saw the term haha.

Dizzy Lotus likes this.
  16. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

High five on the electric being where it's at brotha :D Honestly though my electric has currently taken a back seat to my bass since I am now a huge fan of the low end and wanna practice and create some sweet bass lines :p

I do practice a VERY little bit of piano at my cousin's house too (basically she's loaded. Guitar, grand piano, violin, ukelele, you name it) so I feel lucky to have the luxury of being able to borrow it. May wanna get into it soon too who knows ;)

17. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Damn man, I'm honestly very happy for you! You keep rocking that gift of yours :D

Haha I also bet that lots of bands are fighting over you as we speak? :p

Dizzy Lotus and Star Lord like this.
  18. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

Do note: I'm not a professional composer or anything [​IMG] I just really love doing it for my own games and occasionally for friends, and I keep improving! [​IMG] I haven't made anything in a while, actually, but that's because I have so many hobbies and then school too. [​IMG]
    When people started making video game music in the eighties, I think a big thing they kept in mind during the creation process was that it shouldn't get repetitive. If you're playing a game for a while, the tune must not get annoying. That's why you can use it for background music during studying, because it's created with the intention of not getting repetitive.
    Nowadays, it depends on the game, some composers still do it, and some composers don't care so much. That's probably because many games nowadays have full scores written for them as opposed to a few tunes. I mean, back in the day the standard was different themes for: Title, in-game, Hall of Fame, and sometimes a separate theme for Game Over, regardless of getting into the Hall of Fame or not. In present games, it's the standard to have a different theme for every single level and cutscene. This makes it so you hear most themes only for a few minutes or shorter before moving on to the next one, and thus it's less important that the themes don't get repetitive, while in the golden days of Atari and Amiga, you probably heard one theme pretty much all the game through, so it was way more significant.

Okay, got to go now, I explained that a bit more extensively than I had to, sorry, I got a bit carried away [​IMG]

letter and Aaayron like this.
  19. Aaayron

Aaayron Fapstronaut

Haha! Oh how I love when someone shows their passion for something by being able to talk so comprehensively about it :D Same thing goes for me and bass atm man don't worry ;)

Thanks as well for providing a better view as to how video game music's evolved in the past years. I do have to agree that they were an integral part of the game back then, what with some of the most recognizable tunes in the world being from video games! It kinda saddens me that the attention put to them nowadays just isn't the same as before :( I may be completely wrong on this though so don't quote me or anything haha :p

Dizzy Lotus likes this.
  20. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

I have had some persistent offers yes lol

Aaayron likes this.