1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm planning a boat made from plastic bottles

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 9, 2016.

1. It's clear i will attempt to make a plastic boat

I wonder how many plastic bottles i need to eliminate my weight

[​IMG]

yeah it should look like this

Deleted Account and overclocked like this.
  2. Rikarwb

Rikarwb Fapstronaut

How does the water don't go through the holes between the bottles ?

Either that's fake ... or isn't only bottles.

And i guess you could put helium in the bottles, so you would need less bottles XD

3. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

I want to see it when it's finished

4. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

It's because the bottles are empty and thus have a lower density than the water, enabling them to carry a certain amount of weight, just like any other boat. You could also think of a normal boat as a single bottle -- if you tie a lot of normal boats together they will still swim and not sink, right?

@Berat Sword, you could either just try around or make calculations based on Archimedes' principle using the mass and the volume of the bottles. (This idea is coming from a physicist. I have no idea of boat construction whatsoever.)

Dizzy Lotus likes this.
  5. Rikarwb

Rikarwb Fapstronaut

I understand how they float, what i don't understand is how the water doesn't get in.

A bottle is not a square, is like ... bottled shape :) So there will be little gaps in which the water will enter the boat

6. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Alright, there might be some water getting into the boat so you get wet feet once you step in, but the boat will float nevertheless.

Let's build it in our mind:
    - You take the first bottle. It floats.
    - You connect the second bottle to the first bottle. Regardless of how they are connected, the boat still floats.
    - You connect the third bottle. It doesn't change anything about the fact that the bottles are floating.
    - After n bottles you are done. Congrats! When you step in, each bottle will carry a tiny bit of your weight. When you have enough bottles they will carry you just like you will start levitating when you hold a sufficiently large amount of helium-filled balloons :)

Assuming that the bottles have zero weight, the total volume of the bottles that are in direct contact with the water has to be equal to the volume of your body for the boat to carry you. As the bottles have some mass themselves, there need to be some more.

EDIT: @Berat Sword You could mentally approximate your body by a cylinder, calculate its volume (which is pi*r²*h with r being the radius and h the height of the cylinder) and divide this volume by the volume of a single bottle. That's the number of bottles (at the floor of the boat) which you need to carry your weight, assuming that the density of your body is equal to the density of water (which is a fair approximation). For additional people you will need additional bottles, so you need to multiply the number by the number of people. I think the weight of the bottles can be omitted. Just make the cylinder a little larger so you can comfortably fit in.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    overclocked and Dizzy Lotus like this.
  7. It probably does get in. "Walls" of the boat might be just for the sake of looks, to make it look more fancy, more like a boat. And to keep some stuff from falling out, like maybe fishing equipment and alive fish from running away. Or they might be isolated with some type of glue or something. You seem to be assuming that they are tied together with rope, which might not be the case.

8. Rikarwb

Rikarwb Fapstronaut

I was assuming that :)

9. @Headspace thank you for information, i learned this calculation at school but somehow i couldn't remember it

let's assume i'm a giant cylinder:

arms:2x3x25x75=11 250 cm^3

legs:2x3x64x80=30 720 cm^3

torso:3x289x70=60 690 cm^3

head:3x144x35=15 120 cm^3

TOTAL:117 780 cm^3=117,78 dm^3 so appoximately i need 118 liters bottle

now,i've got 10,5 liters haha lol :D

Headspace likes this.