1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do we help suicidal individuals?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Soccer14, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Soccer14

Soccer14 Fapstronaut

A post was recently written by a young man who claimed to be suicidal. I think it is great that NoFAP is a place where he felt comfortable enough to reach out and seek help. However, I do not believe that any of us, unless it is our profession, are qualified to support someone who is suicidal. I believe our best move is to refer a suicidal individual to professional help.

I imagine that suicidal claims are not uncommon to this web-site, and so I am wondering if there is some kind of protocol to identify and support these individuals by directing them to professional help. I will try to contact the administrators of this site as well, but if anyone knows, please inform us. Thanks.

Eric

MsPants likes this.
  2. I don't even reply to those types of posts usually. Because on one side I don't want to sugar coat and say things I don't believe in simply because of their condition. But at the same time I don't want to tell them the things I feel they sometimes need to hear because it's hard for me to express those things in a gentle enough way, and in a way that they will be able to grasp, so better not open my mouth at all. At the very most I could encourage them to call a hotline and look up a number for them.

@TrueHuman Saying them the truth like this in the face is like pushing them with your own hand to jump of the building, so to speak. You might have good intentions, sure. Sometimes harsh love is good thing. But usually not for suicidal people. If you gonna do that then better not reply to thread at all, even if what you are saying is true. Seriously man, that's fucked up.

MsPants and Soccer14 like this.
  3. Soccer14

Soccer14 Fapstronaut

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Shugi Shugi. This is why I am wondering if there is a protocol here at NoFAP. Wouldn't it be great if there were a button for a suicide hotline, just like the "Panic Button"?

Re: TrueHuman: Seriously. The mere fact that you replied to this post at all, nevertheless in a defensive manner, is evidence enough to indicate that you know what you did was wrong. This post was clearly not directed to you, so why did you feel the need to reply? Furthermore, to be specific, if you do in fact think what you did was right, then why did you say, "I won't convince you not to end your life." without including the obvious compliment to this statement, "I won't convince you to continue with your life."? Why did you decide to focus and only mention the negative, more dangerous comment? Be honest with yourself about your intentions, I'm sure they are convoluted, but do be honest with yourself.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Deleted Account and MsPants like this.
  4. MsPants

MsPants Guest

I agree that posting comments with a lack of empathy is not helpful. No one needs to hear that their life is not worth concern from others. I would also suggest, like the couple posts above, that keeping those negative or callous thoughts to yourself. How horrible would it be for the individual to read that and think that no one cares? How horrible would it be to know that an emotionless comment pushed them over the edge? This site is about helping others. These individuals need support and encouragement to seek help, that is why they post in the first place.
    I hope there will be a suicide panic button added and definitely a suicide hotline posted as well.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. KiKopowa

KiKopowa Fapstronaut

PPl who dnt hit rock bottom in life cant help those ppl becoase they cant understand them, in order to help some1 who is gonna suicide u have to share your true story and show them the light out of the tunnel they are.

MsPants likes this.
  6. aLex is intoxicated

aLex is intoxicated Fapstronaut

It is very hard to talk to suicidal people, because they usually have other conditions in their lives are not being fixed or let loose (such as overeating, drinking, smoking, self-mutilation, hoarding, laziness, loneliness, brain fog) which will make it hard for that suicidal person to think straight and clearly. Very hard to understand suicidal people, when they can't understand themselves.

7. ILoathePwife

ILoathePwife Fapstronaut

I post only that they need to ask for help and the 800 number of a suicide hotline. Just that.

WalkingForward and MsPants like this.
  8. ILoathePwife

ILoathePwife Fapstronaut

You can Google a number of a national hotline.

9. Soccer14

Soccer14 Fapstronaut

I contacted administration with this concern. They informed me that there are resources hyperlinks available in the web-site disclaimer, but they agreed that they need to be more prominent. They said that it was put on their to do list, so keep your eyes out. Hopefully a more prominent option will be available soon.

MsPants likes this.