1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

So... how do you know what your goals are?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by GeoffUK, Aug 16, 2016.

1. GeoffUK

GeoffUK Guest

I've just been writing in my journal and really want to get other people's opinions on this subject.

I have come to realise that PMO has, for a long time, been filling a void of dissatisfaction in my life. I feel like I have been drifting for a while; I have no drive to achieve things, I just feel almost emotionally impotent.

I am now caught in a catch 22 - I realise that I want to set goals that I really want to achieve, ones that really get me enthusiastic about achieving them. However, I have absolutely no idea what it is that I actually want to achieve.

I thought it would be that I would want more money, but I have been lucky enough to come into a little money recently and frankly, that doesn't fill the void.

I just feel like I want to achieve something, but I have no idea what it is I want to achieve or how to go about it.

I can't swim and have booked some swimming lessons for September, but how would people, particularly those who have been successful here, go about defining their goals? What did you do and how did you arrive at them?

2. KiKopowa

KiKopowa Fapstronaut

For 3days dont talk to no1 about your thoughts , spend time on yourself on a room or nature"thats better", search yourself"DONT FOCUS ON OTHERS" . No1s opinion matters more than yours, its your life u live it as u chose. Everything is a choice.
    When you realise your Goal, always know what is the next step, other steps doesnt matter since u cant go there and could be changed any moment.

Personal expirience: i used to be fat all my life "300 Lbs" when i droped to 200lbs i start jogging. I jogged like crazy 20days a month. after 3 monts i could jog 15-18Kilometers for 3hours. Then i said "damn this is so natural to me i wanted to become a marathon runner", ppl laughed at me/no support. Then i stated bad habits , after that i got sick and now after 3 years i regret not running as much as i could. Now that im into getting in shape i find out that my legs/waiste needs attention. Achievements are allways personal, some people may respect you others may mock you for dreams/goals.To me its all about "a healthy mind in a healthy body" and feeling great every single day.

Well i didnt go from a 300lbs mindstate to "i want to become a marathon runner"Even tho i dnt achieved that since i rested. There is no need to visualise Great things , u are heading there when u practise the best u could do for yourself. I also learnt from my expirience that we must not rest on our goals and give 0fucks about any1s opinion.
    Ps: i come from a family that all members are fat. if i listen to them i would get noware.
    Trust yourself , have a nice day.

Awakeatlast likes this.
  3. GeoffUK

GeoffUK Guest

@KiKopowa thanks for the message.

I have tried to do this. I understand about my opinion mattering, I understand that I have to do what's right for me. So I put myself in a room for three days, what then? How does one go about the search? What do you do?

I'm probably asking a dumb question here, but I think the solution to this issue lies in activity pursuing the life I want. But I find myself asking what it is that I want, have no idea, stay stuck where I am and so it goes on.

4. KiKopowa

KiKopowa Fapstronaut

Damn man, thats a hard queston"no question is dumb, thats a limitation to the mind" . Think about your whole life with acceptance and logic , do not attatch yourself with emotions. This is not an easy task. Use the word Why allways, by saying what i want u look outside of your self. Ask yourself why would you want anything.
    Tip. Get a pen and paper and write whatever comes into your mind withouht judging it. If u are stressed u cant think, u must be relaxed. nature and the best place.
    also dont compicate things, the point is to have an conversation with yourself and answare as simple as possible

5. Oneness

Oneness Fapstronaut

Do you want someone who loves you? Someone you can be intimate with and walk life's journey? What about improving your health? What about starting your own business? Not for the money but to prove you can do it? Literally the day and age we live in now that you can do whatever you want.

Awakeatlast likes this.
  6. GeoffUK

GeoffUK Guest

That's a good point about starting my own business - to prove I can do it, as opposed to the money. But again, "setting up a business" is a wide remit. I previously wanted to be a coach and I do like helping people... I even did a course and tried to get clients, but found it very difficult, and with my work commitments I just felt I couldn't do it justice. My wife gave me reasons to keep going, and said I should put myself out there but I think I allowed self-doubt to creep in. There was a bit of me that thought that I'm a bit of a fraud - a distance learning course without much practical experience made me feel like I wasn't really qualified. I suppose in order to not feel like that I would probably need to spend quite a bit of money to train. So these are big decisions that I probably need to get right.

Yes, I want to have someone who I can be intimate with and definitely share life's journey. I like the way you phrase that. I am married and she is someone who I would never want to let go; however our newborn baby I think has somewhat diluted the intimacy in the relationship, and that's quite hard to get back, especially when you're up all the time at night.

Definitely want to improve my health, and also learn to swim, hence I have booked swimming lessons starting next month. But then I ask myself, why am I doing it? It does cost me more of the very little time that I get to spend with my wife, so it has a negative effect as well as a positive one.

I find myself caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. I have vague ideas of things I would like to do but find it difficult to get clarity, and with the commitment involved in these things you can't just try them and see whether you like them, especially when it comes to my career!

7. Oneness

Oneness Fapstronaut

I feel like the beauty of life is the fact that you can have it all. It's your choice.

It also sounds like you have made a lot of choices about life already if you know you want to help people, which is a reward in itself. I go to the gym with my wife. We lift together, eat healthy together, go to festivals together, go on foodie holidays, we both have greats friends and family. You can literally have it all.

8. GeoffUK

GeoffUK Guest

Definitely love the idea of helping people, which is where my thoughts about coaching come in. Perhaps I should think about actually doing a 'proper' accredited course, which would also give me something to get my teeth into.

I also would like to involve my wife in more things together. We haven't done much together of late, other than going away for a break at the weekend. Perhaps we should look at a hobby together or something.

You're right about having it all, and in one way, that is the problem - because there's so much you can have, it's endless choice. Sometimes I worry about doing the 'wrong' thing and I definitely worry about what other people think of my choices.

9. Oneness

Oneness Fapstronaut

OH MY GOD! I had exactly the same problem. The truth is.... there is no right answer. Do what you love to do. What makes you unique. What you want out your life. What makes you happy?

10. GeoffUK

GeoffUK Guest

And I suppose that's the crux of the problem. I have used PMO / other sexual behaviours for so long, I've forgotten what makes me happy. But I know that I find my current job unsatisfying, and I know that I like the idea of coaching / helping others so that's something to look at. I also want to be more spiritual / mindful so I can be calmer, and more easily be able to handle my thoughts. I would like more money, but it's not the most important thing, as I get by right now. And I want to have a more intimate and loving relationship with my partner. So perhaps these are good goals to be starting to work with.

Awakeatlast, xedger and Oneness like this.
  11. Oneness

Oneness Fapstronaut

Together we can make it.

Awakeatlast likes this.
  12. GeoffUK

GeoffUK Guest

Well, I think the best thing that I can do is one thing per day to move towards each of these goals. And it doesn't matter how small they are.

So...

Job - do something to move towards doing a job of passion, something which I can obviously earn from but something that gets me excited and gives me opportunities each day.

Spirituality - develop a sense of mindfulness to help me become calmer, more self-confident, more able to handle setbacks and make the correct choices in life.

Relationship - build a loving, close and intimate relationship with my wife and grow old through life together, sharing everything - the good things and the bad things - along the way.

I actually feel better for thinking about this stuff, you have really helped, thank you very much @Oneness!

Awakeatlast likes this.
  13. Oneness

Oneness Fapstronaut

Keep us updated on your progress.

Awakeatlast likes this.