1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Current Readings/Future Readings

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Retentionman

Retentionman Fapstronaut

This one is on my list since many years

August One likes this.
  2. I just got a box set of Harry Potter series on hardcover from Barnes & Noble today. :)

3. August One

August One Fapstronaut

Totally classic man :)

4. August One

August One Fapstronaut

Well dang I've been in so much pain and confounded by truths unfolding within my being I am undecided on what text to read next. I had like 5 books on my desk I abandoned.

Hmmm, I should probably start reading one. Let's see, how about this old chap Henry Harrison Brown's classic texts mmmhmmmmm,

Not Hypnotism, But Suggestion
    James Allen reviewed this book, saying:
    "ln this book, the writer shows, with much logical lucidity, that the belief that a really good person can be hypnotized and forced to do an evil deed against his will, is a delusion; that no one can receive and be influenced by the suggestion of another, unless there is within him the soil, so to speak, in which that suggestion can take root and flourish; that, in fact, self-suggestion is the great factor, not only in hypnotism, but in nearly all psychological phenomena."

Man's Greatest Discovery: Six Soul Culture Essays
    James Allen reviewed this book, saying:
    "The author deals with the power of thought in the individual, but in a metaphysical rather than ethical manner. The entire book, in fact, is really the reiteration of a small portion of that vast accumulation of metaphysics which has come down to us from the remotest ages, chiefly through the medium of the Aryan literature."

5. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

Just finished "hillbilly elegy" by JD Vance. Amazing.
    Reading "the white book" the Sexaholics Anonymous book. Super Amazing.

6. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

7. I'm thinking about re-reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in a few weeks and then read the rest of the series for the first time.

8. Welp, I just started "The Sorcerer's Stone" a few hours ago and I'm already on chapter 6. I couldn't remember anything from the novel and this is the second time I'm reading this book, so it have been a long time I've read this book. The first time I've read this novel when I was 10 years old in 2001 and that's the year saw the movie of the same book. After I finish the first novel, I'll read rest of the series for the first time. Exciting, isn't it? ;)

9. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

That's my favorite novel of all time so far :cool: But I only read it once, so much more stuff waiting for me :)

Do it, you won't regret it! The beginning or even first 100 pages or so could be a little confusing, as you don't know yet which of the many characters to look out for, but with the first battle scene the plot quickly evolves.

I'm currently reading Seven Years in Tibet. There are quite some differences between the book and the movie which I had already seen two or three times.

Deleted Account and Retentionman like this.
  10. Retentionman

Retentionman Fapstronaut

Awesome, I will read those two. Thanks

11. I'm stuck with gaming than reading book. :(

Anybody have been reading lately?

12. Masoη

Masoη Guest

It's a collection of audiences/lectures give by Pope John Paul II about the nature of man, sexuality, redemption, the sacrament of marriage, virginity, celibacy, and the effects of concupiscence. By many it's considered John Paul II's magnum opus and very well might be what makes him a Doctor of the Church someday. Which is a huge thing considering in the 2000+ yrs of Catholic Church history there are only 33 Dr. of the Church.

I'm currently reading:

"The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life" by Mark Manson

I'm enjoying it a lot. Not as profound as some of the other literary works in this thread, but enjoyable nonetheless.

13. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Thanks for reminding me of not gaming. I did it a little this week, hoping that "getting a little dopamine" that way will help me calm down the even more unhealthy ways to get it. But it doesn't really, and it doesn't really make me feel good.

Nevertheless I read two books this week. C. G. Jungs The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious and Sarah Bakewells At the Existentialist Café. Yes, I do have a lot of time.

14. Finished "The Sorcerer's Stone" on Sunday and now reading "The Chamber of Secrets".

15. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

I've finished The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks. It's the fourth in the Lightbringer series, now I'm awaiting the fifth (possibly final) book. The books revolve around an individual known as the Prism, in a world where magic needs light to work and how it works depends on the color you use. Lots of politics, messed up personal relations, big plot twists, and plentiful world building. Seeing as there's typically two years between releases I'll be waiting awhile. His first series, The Night Angel Trilogy was pretty good. Magic using super assassins yo.

I've just started Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. It has something to do with an impossible heist at a gambling house where you don't cheat if you want to live.

I've looked at the 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. On the one hand it seems to have info that I could use. On the other it seems too good to be true...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. Take Back the Economy: An Ethical Guide for Transforming Our Communities.
    It's full of hope and ideas for building a post-capitalist economy.

17. I bought "The Bone Witch" from Target but will not read until I finish the Harry Potter series

Finished "The Chamber of Secrets" yesterday but have not yet started "The Prisoner of Azkaban"

18. Godsrottweiler

Godsrottweiler Fapstronaut

I am reading the Iron Druid Saga. It is pretty amazing Urban Fantasy I love it.