1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does carbonated, non-flavoured mineral water hurt toothenamel?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Hiraeth, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

I switched completely from fizzy-drinks to above mentioned. Will the acid (ph around 5-6) hurt my teeth in the long term though?

August One likes this.
  2. August One

August One Fapstronaut

No idea but I think any carbonation might? Might?

Hiraeth likes this.
  3. August One

August One Fapstronaut

Carbonation moderation probably won't do anything harmful but that is just a BIASED OPINIONATED VIEWPOINT.

Hiraeth likes this.
  4. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

Well still, natural water has Ph from about 6,3-6,8 in most cases.

Cola and Fizzy drinks have a ph value of !2,6! (because there's tons of phosphorus acid and citric acid in it)

And pure lime-juice (not diluted) has a ph of 2,3.

So, drinking cola isn't much different from pressing limes and drinking their pure juice.

At least carbonated mineral water is way, way better, but I wonder if it's perfectly save.

August One likes this.
  5. August One

August One Fapstronaut

Groovy info man!

Hiraeth likes this.
  6. August One

August One Fapstronaut

If you're honestly concerned about your tooth enamel I would recommend doing coconut oil pulling which builds enamel. If you do that and drink carbonated mineral water I highly doubt there should be a cause for concern maybe do your own research into this mate?

Hiraeth likes this.
  7. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

Yeah sure, I will do that! :)

August One likes this.
  8. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Carbonated simply means that's they dissolved carbon dioxide into the liquid to make it fizz.
    The stuff that damages teeth is the sugar and acid.
    They also say that if you do eat sugary foods or consume sugary drinks. Wait about 40min before brushing teeth. As enamel is weaker after consuming sugary substances and if you brush too early you can do more damage.
    This is what my dentist said anyway.

Also brushing too hard and too long and too often can have negative effect on enamel stentgth.
    I usually brush about 3x a day, and not too light but not hard either.
    Mouth wash twice a day also.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    August One likes this.
  9. August One

August One Fapstronaut

What gases does that mask protect you from if I may ask?

Star Lord likes this.
  10. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Alien gases.

August One likes this.
  11. August One

August One Fapstronaut

BAHHAHAHAAH.

Star Lord likes this.
  12. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

There are scientists that believe carbonic acid also does harm to teeth.

Star Lord and August One like this.
  13. August One

August One Fapstronaut

Bro I've put so many toxins in all kinds of forms in my mouth over the years I don't even worry about what goes in there these days, but I try to only put healthy things in there now. Carbonated mineral water ain't gonna rot your teeth if you live healthy man.

Star Lord and Hiraeth like this.
  14. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

Maybe you should stop drinking water...

15. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

A joke?

16. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

Your teeth wont erode like ice melting if you dont. Anyways thats what water does to your teeth.

Hiraeth likes this.
  17. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

lol. what should I drink, then?

Edit: By the way I really like the message in your signature! Did you comeup with it by yourself?

18. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

I think it's one of those things that could be harmful but takes decades to manifest.

Hiraeth likes this.
  19. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

I dunno about you guys and anyone else. But I'm a believer in enjoying things in life, even if they are harmful.
    Obviously enjoy these things without infringing on others' safety e.g. Smoking.
    But I have accepted that life is too short to care how we die. It could be from old age, from diabetes, from cancer, brain clot, heart attack...or just simply bad luck, in a crash or slip in the shower and break neck.

I'm going to die some way or form and whenever and however it is then that's my fate. So I'm going to eat chocolate and drink soda, eat pizza...because why not?.
    Make the most of every moment is all that counts, why worry about living as long as possible.
    Delaying the inevitable, just enjoy each day as if it's your last I say.
    Embrace death and you shall fear not.
    I like to think of death shadowing my each and every day, then wake up the next day and say "Better luck this time death ;)"

Hiraeth likes this.
  20. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

In fact, I don't care about dying I care about losing my teeth. I too think we should live to the fullest without regret but for example I do not smoke because I want to live my - short - human life fit and without looking 50 when I am 30 ;)

I also eat chocolate and pizza but not everyday. Because it wouldn't make me happy, I'd rather be handsome and slim/defined because having a beautiful body is a part of life-quality for me.

Star Lord likes this.