1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions vs. Facts/Science

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Shang-Chi, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I'm seeing alot of people pushing biased crap all over NoFap. I love it but I hate biased opinions. I thought this is a 100% science-based forum. That won't stop people from pushing viewpoints that aren't based on science it seems however.

A quote,

[​IMG]

Continue.

EverythingIsConnected likes this.
  2. Monster Carrot

Monster Carrot Fapstronaut

Like my mentor always says:

[​IMG]

Shang-Chi likes this.
  3. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Discussion doesn't have to relate to just NoFap we can talk about opinions vs. facts, and even facts vs. real science. In real science there is no such thing as an 'alternate fact'. Also how does holding and perpetuating biased opinions affect our development as human beings trying to lead rational lives?

This video comes to mind,

As does this article,

In Science, There Are No "Alternative Facts" - futurism.com

No idea where this guy is getting his knowledge from or what his credentials are but I think some may enjoy it:

4. staub

staub Fapstronaut

I feel like I'm the reason you posted this? ;)

I am at day 76 now of noPMO and a youtube video like the one you posted was the reason I got here.
    But, I was confinced at first that this is all made up nonesense.

It was not until I read a lot into the topic and ultimately signed up to nofap.com that I realized that there might be something to this.
    I also experienced a lot of these positive changes by now, the by far biggest being the loss of any anxieties around woman (or strangers for that matter).

However I have problems with someone just pouting out information like these guys on youtube (even if they are true!) when they don't care about delivering any evidence, or scientific articles, or...
    It's not hard to post a link to something in the description of the video to back up your claims.

So don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to belittle or disbelieve in your post. I even said that I see your point and know what your trying to say.
    I also see that I had a way too lighthearted approach to writing it.

Shang-Chi likes this.
  5. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

No.

6. staub

staub Fapstronaut

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Shang-Chi likes this.
  7. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

If you use YouTube Red there is a great video called MIND FIELD: CONFORMITY that I would like to share but won't link it since I don't know if anyone uses Red.

Here is the video description:

"We are all unique individuals. We follow the beat of our own drum. We wouldn’t throw our own beliefs out the window just to fit in...or would we? In this episode of Mind Field, I demonstrate the strong, human urge to conform, and just how far people will go to fall in with the crowd.

Special thanks to:
    Dr. Ron Mossler, Chair and Professor of Psychology, La Valley College"

staub likes this.
  8. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Or rather its exact title is Conformity - Mind Field (Ep 2). On Vsauce. Check it out if it's up your alley.

9. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

@staub Sorry dude I think we got off on the wrong foot man! I've been in rough shape today buddy!

I did not start this thread out of harsh feelings towards you. I really had a much broader scope in mind. If we can form a truce I would appreciate it, if not I understand I was an a$$hole no ifs ands or buts.

10. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Sorry pals, but I just can't take it when science is being used as a surrogate religion :) Sorry for my passive-aggressiveness, but it's just your own subtle chauvinism being mirrored back.

Science doesn't know too much about PMO yet, does it? Most things I write about here come from personal experience, and yeah, from my crappy biased opinions, too.

Yet every scientific result requires an interpretation by the observer. Want an example of how this can drive people crazy? Then delve into the various interpretations of quantum physics. There you'll see how much scientific discourse requires a certain opinion on what is reality. The problem isn't solved yet.

ivanhoe and Shang-Chi like this.
  11. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I'm not attached to science my friend. I adore religions.

12. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Take the 'alternate fact' bit up with the author of the article I linked it's not my idea my friend!

I'm not for or against science!

13. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

14. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Nah don't sweat it man, we're cool. Apology accepted ;)

Shang-Chi likes this.
  15. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

This thread has begun to feel uninspired and confrontational. It needs some sprucing up!

16. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

How kind of you. I can't say the same for myself.

17. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Hmm this might become a science vs religion discussion.

Shang-Chi likes this.
  18. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Hey such things are against the rules!!!

NoFap Rules | NoFap®

I was just stating a biased opinion of mine!

19. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Na, I actually meant that it should not.
    But I did not know that it was in the rules, but that is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Shang-Chi likes this.
  20. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I was overreacting intentionally but ya let's definitely not go there LOL!

staub likes this.