1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by WuTangFinancial, Jul 18, 2017.

1. WuTangFinancial

WuTangFinancial Fapstronaut

I have been practicing off and on for a couple of years now but am trying to make it a daily task. Very curious to hear from others about their meditation experiences and how it has helped them through NoFap or just life in general.

For those that do not practice, I highly encourage you to try it out for a time. It may feel strange at first but I believe that, if done properly, can help one through almost any situation that causes distress. The action may seem simple but training your mind to have better thinking patterns will require effort and routine.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

plant goodness likes this.
  2. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I think meditation works very well, I have also been a sporadic practicer, but have been more consistent lately. Sitting up in a chair has much more of an effect for me. I have also combined it with some hypnosis mp3's and lately visualization. It has calmed my mind and you begin to respond and think more clearly, and it grows as you practice it more.

3. WuTangFinancial

Precisely! Just like our physical bodies or tangible skills, our mind requires training. Many of us "train" our minds to think poorly simply because we were never shown how to use our minds effectively. Yet we don't see that our thinking patterns are just conditioning based on personal experiences throughout development. The best part is we are all capable of breaking through that bubble and seeing how our habits are destructive to ourselves and potentially others. Keep up the efforts my friend, when it comes to meditation, I truly believe there will always be positive, long-term results.

plant goodness and jest like this.
  4. jest

jest Fapstronaut

I meditate for 10-15 min on a daily basis and I either quiet my mind entirely for as long as I can or I visualise positive things and outcomes.

It greatly improves my mood and it definitely shows you that you can be in control of your thoughts.

5. Just Rose

Just Rose Distinguished Fapstronaut

Wow, hypnosis? Tell me more about it. How does it work or what effects does it have? Sometimes I feel like my subconscious mind is on a hole and I can't get it out from there :l

6. Just Rose

I entered here on June 13 and I held since then a 10 days reboot and I also began meditating that day, around 10-15 minutes a day, with the app Headspace, it's great but sometimes I still feel tense or like something isn't alright :l any advice on this?

7. WuTangFinancial

I have not used Headspace but it sounds like you may have some deeper struggles that have eluded your conscious mind. My best advice (based on the information provided) would be to examine your emotional state in those moments. Sometimes we think about things that are difficult to swallow and tend to become anxious while trying to prevent these feelings from surfacing. We literally try to hold ourselves back, because vulnerability is a threat to our ego/pride. However, the more we face our demons, bravery ensues and it becomes easier to get in touch with who we are. An important step to loving yourself is understanding yourself. Good luck brother!

plant goodness and Eleanor like this.
  8. Just Rose

Yeah, that must be the problem :l I will try. Thanks a lot :) I'm a girl

9. WuTangFinancial

Ah, I apologize, your account says Fapstronaut so I naturally thought you were a male. Forgive me. If you have further inquiries, feel free to ask. I want everyone who struggles with this to succeed in overcoming!

Eleanor likes this.
  10. Skopcony

Skopcony Fapstronaut

A little bit offtop - I've read all over nofap good things about meditation, but no information about how to actually do it. Am I supposed to sit 10-15 min and try not to think about anything and focus on breathing? Or is it something completely different? Do you have any specific technique etc.? Any tips will be appreciated :)

11. Just Rose

Haha don't worry, we're all fapstronauts but I've seen less girls than boys :b I'm glad to finding so much help in here, thanks a lot.

WuTangFinancial likes this.
  12. WuTangFinancial

Of course! Good luck on your journey!

Eleanor likes this.
  13. Just Rose

Thanks! Good luck for you too!

14. WuTangFinancial

Funny you mention that, my initial post was about the process but is seemed dry so I did not post it!
    Since you asked, here is what I have learned:
    -Find a quiet place and put aside time (about 20 minutes) so you are not interrupted by anything.
    -Explore your motivations before proceeding, find out what it is you would like to focus on.
    -The step that involves clearing your mind starts with simple breathing, and the focus of that breathing.
    -Observe the flow of air in to and out of your lungs. (It's important to maintain a calm state without becoming so relaxed to the point of sleepiness.)
    -The breath should be steady throughout your meditation and if you become distracted, return your focus to breathing.
    -When thoughts surface, do not try and fight them, it will cause you to become tense and anxious. Let thoughts and feelings arise naturally and try to observe them without bias. It may sound like an impossible feat but consider this parallel to exercise. In order to increase endurance or strength, you must train.

Our thoughts tend to be expressed by our bodies unconsciously. Meditation creates a space where this can be observed. When thoughts arise and you react, a focused mind will observe this with curiosity rather than condemnation. It's important to remember that our negative thoughts are results of destructive conditioning and that we have the power to retrain our thinking patterns. All it takes is effort and courage!

I hope that this helps you along the way. :)

Eleanor likes this.
  15. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Really enjoy the positive good thoughts of everyone on here. Very grateful to be on this forum. WuTang has the right idea. I will keep you updated, let's get after it.

16. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

You can find some hypnosis mp3s on youtube. There are plenty, some good, some meh. It can serve the same as meditating, but for a specific goal. It actually does help, but you have to suggestible and open. Just type "hypnosis mp3" on YT.

WuTangFinancial and Eleanor like this.
  17. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I want to add that I actually meditated lying down this morning before I got out of bed. While not my preferred method, it still helps so don't let it discourage you if you don't feel like particularly sitting. Sometimes we have neck pain, tense, and laying down may be what can help us truly relax.

Eleanor and WuTangFinancial like this.
  18. WuTangFinancial

Sitting in a chair is fine too, it just about good posture so you can get proper blood flow. It is not always comfortable to sit on the floor with our legs crossed for an extended period of time.

19. franco216

franco216 Fapstronaut

There are differences between meditation and relaxation exercises, aren't there? Certainly it all depends on the style of meditation we are talking about ...

I am trying meditation at the moment and I read "Mindfulness in plain English" as sort of a guide.

I would want to add to your list:

- Find a stable posture and keep it. The back firm and the arms hanging loosely
    - Keep the focus on your breath (the point where your breath leaves your nose)
    - Neither wander off in daydreams (or fantasy) nor aim for nothingness, just keep the focus

If my meditation makes me fall asleep, I feel I'm doing something wrong.

20. WuTangFinancial

Yes, plus I imagine people adjust for their own personal preferences (at least where it can be flexible). Thanks for the additions! I am happy this forum turned out so strong!

franco216 likes this.