1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

North Korea may not be that bad

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Waldo101, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

i just read that a North Korean defector returned to North Korea.

Maybe North Korea isn't that bad. I've visited South Korea before and while I loved it, an industrialized country can feel cold and lonely.

Perhaps she felt that way and wanted to return to the old fashioned way of life of raising chickens and living off the land.

So yeah, no matter what the government is, an old fashioned life may be desirable to some people.

2. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

3. meanbean70

meanbean70 Fapstronaut

Not sure 'old fashioned' is the phrase i would use.

4. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

5. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

That is a good question.

Of course, we are supposed to think North Korea is terrible. However when tourists visit, many of their attitudes change.

Yes, North Korea sucks because it's limited.

However, according to studies, people tend to be happier when choices are limited and when life is less complex.

Personally I like a complex life so North Korea is not for me.

plant goodness likes this.
  6. plant goodness

plant goodness Fapstronaut

7. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I'll tell you one thing; their parade marching is very impressive.

noonoon likes this.
  8. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

An American tourist just visited there and ended up dead due to unclear causes.
    Why would you think positively of a place where people are starving and the government oppresses its people? Where you don't have access to information due to government censoring?
    There are plenty of places you can go in the world if you want a simple life, but North Korea is not one of them.

9. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

Good point.

Of course, obviously the North Korean government is highly dysfunctional.

But at the same time, nothing is ever really black and white.

10. I can't believe what I'm hearing

Hardboiled24 and Quiver like this.
  11. Its not just dysfunctional, they're government wishes they could destroy the US and Japan...

12. And they also hate South Korea and want them dead to.

13. [​IMG]

Almost feels like I'm reading a Ken M thread..

The North Korean government regularly kidnaps defectors to use in propaganda films where they show defectors returning to North Korea and denouncing other countries etc. It's no surprise that the lady in question that you mentioned appeared in such a propaganda video, so it's very likely she was kidnapped on her travels.

This is a picture of her from the propaganda video in question:

[​IMG]

Sure looks like a woman happy to be home there of her own free will... Not. Her face looks swollen like if she took a beating earlier. The entire video she looks terrified.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
  14. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

Are you serious???

How about the Holocaust?
    How about serial killers?
    How about asbestos being bad for the lungs?

There are a gazillion things that are black and white.

15. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

But North Korea has not committed mass killings on a large scale. Yeah, they have done terrible things and even executed a bunch but the U.S. Military is no saint either.

USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

I agree that North Korea is horrible but so are other countries too that are considered not a threat.

16. You must not be in the US

17. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

There was another defector too who made attempts to return to North Korea but he was unsuccessful. I'm not saying that North Korea is good. They obviously are horrible but it may not be as bad as the media portrays.

Hardboiled24 likes this.
  18. xedger

xedger Guest

Hard to know for sure, but it is certainly very useful to governments to have 'rogue states' that they can hold up as examples of what the bad guys do because it makes them look like the good guys. North Korea, Russia, Iraq, Iran, Mexico, various states have been cast in this bogeyman role depending on the time. Sometimes I think it is by mutual agreement - the US uses Russia as a bogeyman and Russia represents the US in the same way to its people. It strengthens both governments of course.

Hardboiled24 likes this.
  19. You're right that the media is probably not the best source of information on this sort of thing. However there is plenty of information that can be dug up on what it's like inside North Korea from people who've snuck in, and even more from people who've snuck out and escaped.

The internet does not exist in the country aside from some small pockets among the elite and rich. TV is also censored, limited to one channel, and they try to block TV and radio broadcasts from neighbouring countries.

The entire country experiences blackouts regularly, often several times a day, because they don't have a proper power grid.

They have a large amount of concentration camps where those who defect, criticise the government, or even just the innocent families of those who do either of those things are sent.

Even if you want to believe that all the horror stories about the country are false, food is currently so scarce in the country that even if you thought the North Korean government were saints, you wouldn't want to live there still because you're not going to have food on the table.

There are the old fashioned soviet bloc countries where it's sometimes a matter of debate as to whether the change to capitalism was for the better and whether the old communist days were better. Admittedly you won't find many people thinking the latter, because there were many problems, queuing for hours just to buy a loaf of bread, people sitting around instead of working because they all got paid the same regardless of the work they did, propaganda and censorship etc.. but, at least there wasn't famine, and the censorship and restriction of rights was minimal in comparison to North Korea.

That said, it's like any communist country. If you're in amongst the powerful political elite, then as long as you don't piss anyone off and get yourself assassinated, you could probably live a pretty good life even in somewhere like North Korea. It's just in North Korea's case the other 99.9999% of people suffer in the mean time. So if you're not afforded that luxury it doesn't look like much of an appealing option ;)