1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by Schizzm

How do you guys feel that scripture study relates to this addiction?

I've been thinking a lot about that this week. I feel like when I like back at times in my life when I was really focused and avoiding PM (say, on my mission, or right after I got married) life just seemed easier than it is now. I think part of that (maybe most of this) is my lack of progress in personal prayer and scripture study each day. I'd say I do these things about 30% of the time these days, if I'm being generous.

Anyone notice there interest in the scriptures goes down when your obsession with PM goes up? It has to relate, right?

Any tips or thoughts on ways to get more out of the scriptures and gospel on a day to day basis while also focusing on recovery, sobriety, and working not to act out?
Tannhauser and Mindy like this.
Decerebrate more_vert
Decerebrate
You are absolutely correct. The closer you get to the Spirit, the more evident the changes that you need to make become. And it is more driven by desire and less by guilt.
Schizzm likes this.
Decerebrate more_vert
Decerebrate
Focus on feeling the Spirit every day. There are things that I can do to reliably feel the influence of the HG. Music, church videos, conference talks, scripture reading, gratitude prayers bring the Spirit. This in turn drives away darkness.
Schizzm likes this.
Mindy more_vert
Mindy
Thanks for your post. I feel the same. I can’t seem to bring myself to do consistent prayer and reading even tho I know it’s so important.
Schizzm more_vert
Schizzm
That's a really good point and a place I want to get to. I feel like a lot of my decisions to change are based on guilt or shame, whereas desire should be the goal.
Phantom Avalanche and Mindy like this.
Mindy more_vert
Mindy
So glad I’m not alone. We can find Jesus again together.
Schizzm likes this.
Phantom Avalanche more_vert
Phantom Avalanche
I think aspiring for personal revelation is a great goal; as you study, you are searching rather than simply reading/praying/attending. God rewards those who seek.
Phantom Avalanche more_vert
Phantom Avalanche
I'm also a fan of doing it even if you don't want to, inasmuch as your purpose is to keep trying rather than going through the motions. However, every step is a step forward!
Schizzm, Decerebrate and Mindy like this.