1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by Myfortress

God already knew everything we were going to do before he saved us.
italianbread more_vert
italianbread
I believe God has incredible foresight but if that were true than we would all be pre-destined for Heaven or hell and I don't believe that. I believe in free-will. I believe we are all in charge of our own destiny and God is there to help us, because he wants us to succeed.
Myfortress more_vert
Myfortress
You don't think he already knows every decision you will make?
jenthleth likes this.
Tao Jones more_vert
Tao Jones
IMO, Foreknowledge does not undo free will. I know with almost 100% certainty how my wife will respond in many situations, because I know her very well. But just because I know what she will do does not mean I am choosing to do it for her. She can surprise me (and she often does!). But God, who exists outside of time and space, who made each of us and knows us perfectly well, knows *exactly* how we will respond in every circumstance. But the choice is still ours. And it still matters very much that we choose rightly!
Saint Augustine and Myfortress like this.
Saint Augustine more_vert
Saint Augustine
We will be judged on our own, freely made decisions.
Nevertheless, God knows what we will do because he made us (so of course he knows!), but whatever we do he causes it to turn out for good in the end.
The classic example where the Bible clearly states this is in Genesis 50:20 when Joseph says to his brothers who tried to kill him: "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."
This doctrine is called compatibilism because it holds determinism and free-will as equally true and non-contradictory.
Tao Jones likes this.