1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by SaturnsSun

Not sure that I did the right thing. I sometimes put my foot in my mouth.

I was walking home with some elderly church ladies. The wanted to stop in the liquor store (like one does after church :D). They each get a bottle. They ask me if I’m going to buy one. I say no then blurt out that I’ve been sober for 22 years. Then one of the women tells the clerk that I’ve been sober for 22 years. Then he looks at me and smiles.

Then I start thinking that this is a very strange situation and maybe I should’ve waited until a better time to tell them that or just not said anything.

I also told them that once I start drinking I can’t stop. I also think the women have drinking problems. They party a lot and they’re old. I’m old and they’re a lot older than me.
Deleted Account likes this.
MisterDirection more_vert
MisterDirection
Sounds to me you are doing what you need to do. It appears you did not judge them for partaking and they not you for not unless they were being mocking in the responses to you.
SLAA1 and Deleted Account like this.
Gratefulforchange more_vert
Gratefulforchange
Telling people I dont drink is always a funny thing. I usually make a joke because I always get a curious look. So like you did I say something like "Well starting drinking is no problem for me. It's the stopping I have a hard time with" I get a chuckle and that's it.
Gratefulforchange more_vert
Gratefulforchange
But do occasionally feel judged. And it is weird for a second or two before I move on. I usually feel like it's more uncomfortable for them than for me. I can imagine walking home with them may have been a little weird for you. But I am am grateful for my sobriety and yours as well SaturnsSun!
Jerky more_vert
Jerky
If people ask me, i usually tell them 'no, not today'. If they persist i say 'i can't'. If they persist durther i tell them im an alcoholic.
Jerky more_vert
Jerky
Also, saying, "no thanks" when offered a drink usually gets the point across. I tend to add a tiny bit of sass to that statement.