1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by One Eyed Owl

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, Our Lord; who was
conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under
Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into Hell. On the third day he rose from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from there he shall come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion
of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the
life everlasting.

Amen.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Luther was absolutely wrong about the books of James and Revelation (he wanted to reject those books)...... So how can he be right about his interpretations of the rest of scripture?
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
When Luther was woefully wrong in so much of his opinions ( about the book of James, about the apocalypse etc) what makes you think that his other doctrines were correct and inspired by God?
Mr. McMarty more_vert
Mr. McMarty
According to Martin Luther, justification by faith alone is the article on which the Church stands or falls. Thus, "faith alone" is foundational to Lutheranism and Reformed Christianity, and as a formula distinguishes it from other Christian denominations.
One Eyed Owl likes this.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Yeah, but as I've said, the only place "faith alone" appears in the bible is in the line from James "we are justified by works and NOT BY FAITH ALONE"..... So"faith alone" is a false doctrine....
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Paul says that "works of the law"- circumcision, animal sacrifice are not necessary, that's all...... Paul never says that good deeds (helping the poor, helping those in need etc are not needed). In fact, Jesus himself says that those who fail to do good deeds can face damnation. ( The rich man in the parable went to hell because he failed to do a good deed- he did not help the beggar lying at his gate)
Mr. McMarty more_vert
Mr. McMarty
just understand that for a protestant "by faith alone" is the foundation of our concept of the gospel. We believe as Calvinists God elects whom he will.
One Eyed Owl likes this.
Run_Like_Joseph_Did more_vert
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
Luther did not "add" the word alone to Romans three. If you've read Luther, you would know that he addressed this issue in his Open Letter On Translating. He goes on to give a pretty in depth explanation about why he did as such. also, luther died in 1546... more than two decades long is not just a few years
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
“I know very well that in Romans 3 the word solum is not in the Greek or Latin text — the papists did not have to teach me that. It is fact that the letters s-o-l-a are not there. And these blockheads stare at them like cows at a new gate, while at the same time they do not recognize that it conveys the sense of the text -- if the translation is to be clear and vigorous [klar und gewaltiglich], it belongs there. I wanted to speak German, not Latin or Greek, since it was German I had set about to speak in the translation.” Open letter on Translating
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
the history of scriptural study, textual criticism, and manuscript tradition have been intense issues that the Body of Christ have had to sort through for centuries. Erasmus, Cardinal Cajetan, and Luther were a part of this ingrafting of understanding. thus, as men, they had doubts about things, weaknesses that we look back on from our Ivory towers and laugh at them for. That is not fair to them as image bearers
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Adding "alone" (german-allein) is unnecessary even in German, and distorts the meaning of Paul's sentence... Paul says works of the old testament law ( animal sacrifices etc) are not necessary and that Faith is necessary..... That's what Paul says, nothing more... Adding "Faith alone" distorts the meaning of the sentence, as the Letter of James points out that faith alone isn't enough
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
I've seen all these Protestant explanations before brother.... They don't hold up....
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
If Luther was someone who just had a doubt about scripture, then I have no problem with that..... However, he was someone who was responsible for tearing the Church of God into a million pieces, teaching false teachings...
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Luther was not just a scriptural scholar with doubts.... His interpretations were grossly wrong (such as his opinions on the letter of James , Revelation and much more)..... But the worst thing is that HE LED OTHERS ASTRAY into his folly because of his pride......
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Christ taught: “And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled”
Luther actually said: “St. Augustine or St. Ambrose cannot be compared with me”. Being a sinner is okay if we acknowledge our sins, repent and ask forgiveness...... However Luther was full of pride, foul mouthed, and led others astray into his wrong path rather than correct himself.....
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
@mrmcmarty... I know that "faith alone"is the foundation of protestantism... I'm just saying that there's no scriptural basis for claiming that (Paul never says faith alone is enough, and James says clearly that faith alone is NOT enough) and that Luther was wrong in claiming that ...
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Since scripture opposes "faith alone" concept, scripture opposes protestantism...
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
At 3:28 Luther introduced the adv. “only” into his translation of Romans (1522), “alleyn durch den Glauben” (WAusg 7.38); cf. Aus der Bibel 1546, “alleine durch den Glauben” (WAusg, DB 7.39); also 7.3-27 (Pref. to the Epistle). See further his Sendbrief vom Dolmetschen, of 8 Sept. 1530 (WAusg 30.2 [1909], 627-49; “On Translating: An Open Letter” [LuthW 35.175-202]). Although “alleyn/alleine” finds no corresponding adverb in the Greek text, two of the points that Luther made in his defense of the added adverb were that it was demanded by the context and that sola was used in the theological tradition before him.
Mr. McMarty likes this.
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
Robert Bellarmine listed eight earlier authors who used sola (Disputatio de controversiis: De justificatione 1.25 [Naples: G. Giuliano, 1856], 4.501-3):

Origen, Commentarius in Ep. ad Romanos, cap. 3 (PG 14.952).

Hilary, Commentarius in Matthaeum 8:6 (PL 9.961).

Basil, Hom. de humilitate 20.3 (PG 31.529C).

Ambrosiaster, In Ep. ad Romanos 3.24 (CSEL 81.1.119): “sola fide justificati sunt dono Dei,” through faith alone they have been justified by a gift of God; 4.5 (CSEL 81.1.130).
Mr. McMarty likes this.
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
John Chrysostom, Hom. in Ep. ad Titum 3.3 (PG 62.679 [not in Greek text]).

Cyril of Alexandria, In Joannis Evangelium 10.15.7 (PG 74.368 [but alludes to Jas 2:19Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)]).

Bernard, In Canticum serm. 22.8 (PL 183.881): “solam justificatur per fidem,” is justified by faith alone.

Theophylact, Expositio in ep. ad Galatas 3.12-13 (PG 124.988).

To these eight Lyonnet added two others (Quaestiones, 114-18):

Theodoret, Affectionum curatio 7 (PG 93.100; ed. J. Raeder [Teubner], 189.20-24).
Mr. McMarty likes this.
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
Source: Joseph A. Fitzmyer Romans, A New Translation with introduction and Commentary, The Anchor Bible Series
Mr. McMarty likes this.