1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by One Eyed Owl

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, Our Lord; who was
conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under
Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into Hell. On the third day he rose from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from there he shall come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion
of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the
life everlasting.

Amen.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Those are cherry pickings and misrepresentations from the fathers.... The fathers emphasized the dual role of faith and works, submitted to the Roman pontiff, believed in the real presence and were catholic through and through
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
ORIGEN:. "Whoever dies in his sins, even if he profess to believe in Christ, does not truly believe in him; and even if that which exists without works be called faith, such faith is dead in itself, as we read in the epistle bearing the name of James (Commentaries on John 19:6
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
HIPPOLYTUS

And again, it is said, the Savior has declared, "Not every-one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." And it is necessary that they who perform this (will), not hear it merely, should enter into the kingdom of heaven (Refutation of All Heresies 5:2
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
GREGORY OF NYSSA:. "Gregory of Nyssa

Paul, joining righteousness to faith and weaving them together, constructs of them the breastplates for the infantryman, armoring the soldier properly and safely on both sides. A soldier cannot be considered safely armored when either shield is disjoined from the other. Faith without works of justice is not sufficient for salvation; neither is righteous living secure in itself of salvation, if it is disjoined from faith
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Look at the above quote "faith without works of Justice is NOT SUFFICIENT FOR SALVATION"
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
And seriously? You put John Chrysostom's name, (the same John Chrysostom who acknowledges papal authority) as though he supported Sola fide? (Hint-he doesn't)
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
JOHN CHRYSOSTOM:. "He that believes in the Son has everlasting life." Is it enough, then, to believe in the Son,' someone will say, 'in order to have everlasting life?' By no means! Listen to Christ declare this himself when he says, 'Not everyone who says to me, "Lord! Lord!" shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. FOR IF A MAN BELIEVE RIGHTLY IN THE FATHER, THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT, BIT DOES NOT LIVE RIGHTLY, THEN HIS FAITH WILL AVAIL HIM NOTHING TOWARD HIS SALVATION(Homilies on the Gospel of John 31:1[circa A.D. 391]).
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
JEROME:.

"But since in the Law no one is justified before God, it is evident that the just man lives by faith.' It should be noted that he does not say that a man, a person, lives by faith, lest it be thought that he is condemning good works. Rather, he says the 'just' man lives by faith. He implies thereby that whoever would be faithful and would conduct his life according to the faith can in no other way arrive at the faith or live in it except first he be a just man of pure life, coming up to the faith by certain degrees (Commentaries on Galatians 2:3:11
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Clement of Rome
Let us clothe ourselves in concord, being humble and self- controlled, keeping ourselves far from all backbiting and slander, being justified by works and not by words. . . . Why was our Father Abraham blessed? Was it not because of his deeds of justice and truth, wrought in faith? . . . So we, having been called through his will in Christ Jesus, were not justified through ourselves or through our own wisdom or understanding or piety or works which we wrought in holiness of heart, but through faith, whereby the almighty God justified all men. (Letter to the Corinthians 30:3, 31:2, 32:3-4 [A.D. 95])
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Note how Clement gives equal importance to both faith and good deeds....
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
BASIL:. "Letter 295 (329-379 ad)
Faith and works must be joined: so shall the man of God be perfect, and his life not halt through any imperfection.
For the faith which saves us, as saith the Apostle, is that which worketh by love."
Run_Like_Joseph_Did more_vert
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
You dodge. You just can’t stand the correction. If you think I’m cherry picking I left you the sources. Joseph Fitzmyer was a Jesuit historian back when the Jesuits still had a pair.
Deleted Account likes this.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
It's you who are dodging.... The quotes from the fathers (that you supposedly claim support faith alone) that I provided are Crystal clear..
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
"Faith without works of justice is not sufficient for salvation; neither is righteous living secure in itself of salvation, if it is disjoined from faith." -Gregory of Nyssa. How much more clearer can this get?
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
And see how even a child can understand that "faith alone" contradicts scripture:. "“Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.". ". "“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.". -what many people who go to hell will hear from JESUS..
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Even Jesus himself is crystal clear that a lack of good deeds can endanger salvation...... Why then do you blindly support Luther's false interpretation of scripture? You guys claim that you can understand scripture by personal interpretation ... Why then refuse to give up Luther's false interpretation?
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
In "the rich man and Lazarus", THE RICH MAN WENT TO HELL BECAUSE HE DIDN'T HELP THE BEGGAR LYING OUTSIDE HIS GATE ( A GOOD WORK)... NOTHING IS MENTIONED ABOUT HIS FAITH OR LACK THEREOF...... So obviously even Jesus warns that good deeds are needed for salvation, and salvation is not decided by "faith alone"
Run_Like_Joseph_Did more_vert
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
quotes from fathers who's books you've demonstrated to not have read.