1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by One Eyed Owl

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, Our Lord; who was
conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under
Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into Hell. On the third day he rose from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from there he shall come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion
of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the
life everlasting.

Amen.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
@ThePaladin you posted 3 quotes that show that faith is needed for salvation...... Of course, faith is needed for salvation... BUT THOSE QUOTES DO NOT SAY THAT FAITH ALONE IS ENOUGH FOR SALVATION..... The New Testament is chock full of sayings that faith alone or being a Christian alone is not enough and that good works are also necessary (atleast a bare minimum)
Deleted Account likes this.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
I post here because of 2 reasons. 1. Mr. Mcmarty allows debate on here... So in addition to other things, I try to debate without being too confrontational..... 2. I've seen many Protestants believe so many lies and falls propaganda about Catholicism.. like "Catholics worship Mary" or that "Catholicism is idolatry".. "Catholicism was not the original church" etc.... Since I have extensive knowledge in these areas, I try to dispel lies...
Mr. McMarty and Deleted Account like this.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Also, the history of the Church Is quite different from what protestantism teaches.... Many Protestants are taught a whitewashed history of protestantism, and a demonized version about Catholicism m...... Also, there is evidence for Catholic teaching in scripture, while many Protestant teachings don't have that... I just exchange knowledge and try to educate people without any bias, quarrel or falsehood..
70*7 more_vert
70*7
The guy on the cross next to Jesus was told, today you will be with me in Paradise. He didn't have time for good works. He was let in on the basis of his acknowledgement of Jesus alone.
Max Fisher more_vert
Max Fisher
Its not like he did nothing, he said this "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!". Was that a good work?
hillmountain likes this.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
If we genuinely cannot do a good work then it's no problem, such as the good thief
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
However, if the chance presents itself, or especially the obligation (such as Lazarus lying in sores at the rich man's gate, and the rich man having more than enough resources to aid him) then God will definitely expect us to do the God deed....
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Besides, even the dying thief did some good works even on the cross, apart from faith 1. Comfort Jesus in His last moments. 2. Defend Jesus from the mockery of others. 3. Repent for the sins he had committed in his life.. 4. He tried to encourage the other thief also to repent..
70*7 more_vert
70*7
Dunno. Is it a work? If it is it's a pretty small one. How many works do we need to do to ensure being saved do you reckon? Few more than that I'd have thought. What the thief said on the cross, that's just way too easy
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
I told you, God only asks what we CAN do..... The good thief genuinely couldn't do any major good deed even though he wanted to, so God forgave him for a possible lifetime of sin......
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
And sincerely wanting to do good is almost as important as actually doing good....
70*7 more_vert
70*7
So how many good deeds do I need to do to be saved?
Chapter Master Azrael more_vert
Chapter Master Azrael
There is no good deed you can do to be saved. Salvation is a gift, given by God. You have only to accept it. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
However, if you accept it, you are surrendering everything you are to Jesus. It's not something campy like "Jesus take the wheel." Accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior means you are handing your life over to Him, lock, stock, and barrel, and allowing Him to change it as He sees fit (Matthew 16:24-25). Do not consider this decision lightly.
Mr. McMarty likes this.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
How many good deeds? That depends on your conscience, the obligations to do good that present themselves to you, your duties in life etc... Rather than the number of good deeds, one must be sincerely willing and ready to do good....
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Just because doing good deeds is not very precisely defined, doesn't mean we can throw away that obligation as Christians........ Faith is necessary for salvation, just as food is necessary for survival, but faith alone is not enough for salvation, just as food alone isn't enough for survival....... We need good works done in a spirit of love (whenever God gives us the opportunity at least) just as we need air and water in addition to food...
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
I think the parable of the Rich man and the beggar Lazarus at his gate (told by none less than Jesus himself) classifies these doubts for you.... The rich man went to hell in the afterlife because he neglected to help the starving beggar at his gate.... For all we know, the rich man may have had faith in God, but because he didn't do good when the obligation presented itself, he went to hell......
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
James 2:. "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
James 2:. "Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did."
Chapter Master Azrael
@hillmountain You are misinterpreting the verses.Good deeds do not bring about
Chapter Master Azrael
saving faith. Good deeds stem from saving faith.