1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by Chris_Cactusblossom

Reading Proverbs 16:32 in the KJV, it seems to me that by 'spirit' the translator means the animal soul. I'm also thinking this is the 'nephesch', which needs to be conquered by the rational mind, to effect the link between man and God:

"He that is slow to anger is better than the mights; and he that ruleth his animal soul than he that taketh a city."

Not just quibbling with words here - the distinction between Spirit/Godhead, the rational/moral human mind-will-intellect, and the soul-body we share with the animals is really important for knowing what we're dealing with when it comes to addiction, sin, and reaching for God.

Also, Hi! Thanks for having me. :D
Tao Jones more_vert
Tao Jones
I think the NIV gets it right on this one: "Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city." The idea being expressed is about self-control, which is a gift of the Spirit. We attain it by trading in our tired, broken lives for Life in Christ, which is an ongoing, daily process.
Ready_to_Stop and Henryforward like this.
Chris_Cactusblossom more_vert
Chris_Cactusblossom
Yes, but the point is to distinguish between spirit, mind, and self. Those terms are used interchangeable a lot of the time, but 'spirit' implies something close to God, to my mind, whereas it's the lower self that's being dominated - the seat of the animal passions. I suppose 'self-control's not bad as a phrase, but I've only got the KJV to work with.
Tao Jones more_vert
Tao Jones
Why the limitation to just the KJV? Access to many translations is available online.
Henryforward more_vert
Henryforward
He who is slow to anger is better and more honorable than the mighty soldier, and he who rules and controls his own spirit, than he who captures a city. This is the amplified it then has in the foot notes as follows.
Ready_to_Stop likes this.
Henryforward more_vert
Henryforward
Better and more honorable than the mighty. Even though one of the most favored persons in the middle east was the military hero, this proverb suggests that one who is "slow to anger" or "who rules and controls his own spirit"is a greater hero than a returning warrior.
Henryforward more_vert
Henryforward
So if we can conquer and quiet our troubled noisy souls we will be blessed indeed. Psalm 131 is a good one to meditate on and it's only 3 verses to remember. "But I have calmed and quietened my soul like a weaned child with its mother"
Tao Jones likes this.
Blue jeans more_vert
Blue jeans
I appreciate your point Chris about dealing with the 'animal'! It certainly feels like that often! I'm trying to think about keeping this body a temple of God, and sacrificing the desires of that animal as an act of worship to God.
Henryforward and Tao Jones like this.