1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by IncNTGreat

I have been struggling with PMO for more than half of my life and I am so tired of doing the same thing over and over. I have made progress sometimes but I always end up coming back. It feels like there is nothing that will keep me accountable. The process of failing and restarting has become so normal to me that I can't imagine living without it. I am most tempted when I realize how far I have gotten and then I relapse. I don't know how to get out of this cycle and start seeing life as something more than struggling with PMO... I feel like I have a serious psychological problem that makes me not want to get better. I don't know how to fix it. Should I go to a priest? I need someone who I know well and I can go to and who will not judge me... but there is no one. Does anyone have any idea what to do.
Mr Eko more_vert
Mr Eko
Yes, I know. I had had the same problem like you now but I resolved it by keeping myself accountable directly to God by the means of careful promises.
ADMG more_vert
ADMG
Hope that you've been going to Confession, and regularly. We should all be running to that Sacrament whenever we fall, since we cannot do this without God's grace.
Speaking of which, whenever you find yourself thinking things like "when I realize how far I have gotten...", take note and immediately make an act of humility or something like that... we do not get anywhere by our own power. To God alone belongs the victory. Our job is to try and get out of His way as much as possible!
Saskia Simone likes this.
ADMG more_vert
ADMG
When it comes to accountability: I recommend telling 2-3 close friends. I have never found my friends to be anything but sympathetic. They are good to go to for general accountability from time to time... but unless they are also struggling with this, they will not have the patience and energy to be a full time accountability partner (in my experience, at least).
I would also recommend checking out Protestant men's groups or recovery groups like Celebrate Recovery. This will give you some group support that the Catholic Church, sadly, really lacks.
IncNTGreat more_vert
IncNTGreat
Thank you, AMDG. I just told my brother and setup an accountability system with him to talk every week at a specific time on a specific day of the week. He also struggles with PMO and so I hope I can help him too.
ADMG likes this.
Panda01 more_vert
Panda01
I think you can do Strive21, from Matt Fradd.
CPilot more_vert
CPilot
I have found some great help from people who contribute to this Roman Catholic group. I also learned some important points from the thread concerning the three steps of temptation. I offer this - every saint was a sinner who didn't give up trying to improve. Don't give up! When you fall, get back up.