1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Awedouble, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

I'm about half way through this book and thought people here might appreciate some of the ideas in there. He suggests a 30 day digital declutter, so not unlike a reboot, and then carefully selecting what you add back into your life. Here are the 3 principles and 3 steps:

2. Thanks for sharing this!

3. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Here’s another list of 3, this may sound like a lot of work but for example a board game could satisfy all 3 conditions, though it would not be as much manual dexterity:

(using your hands)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    ICE :D likes this.
  4. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

4 practices related to leisure activities:
    PRACTICE: FIX OR BUILD SOMETHING EACH WEEK
    PRACTICE: SCHEDULE YOUR LOW-QUALITY LEISURE
    PRACTICE: JOIN SOMETHING
    PRACTICE: FOLLOW LEISURE PLANS​

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Rodrigo Mendoza and ICE :D like this.
  5. SuperiorMan95

SuperiorMan95 Fapstronaut

I actually read some of this book. I have it on audible. It's pretty damn good. Thanks for the post. One thing I started doing is to purchase an old flip phone. I now have a smart phone and an old flip. So sometimes I go out and I only take my flip and I do this several days in a row. It forces you to declutter. It's the digital equivalent of leaving your dick at home so you can't possibly PMO or in this case distract yourself with useless apps.

6. Not to spam since I receive no compensation but the eBook for Kindle is on sale for two bucks. Good book even if you pay more (or get it from the library) though, worth a bump just for the mention for people who may not be familiar.