1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by zeusmx

1. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    By regions, you mainly mean the Nucleus Accumbens.
    If you want to take a step in learning beyond the level of YBOP and the bro-science often thrown around here, do some studying up on that region. Your knowledge will reward you.
    Aug 26, 2020
  2. palindromo
    palindromo
    i don't think it's more sensitive than food addiction , all have the same neural-pathways in common and we are often hungry. It should be a natural thing to eat moderately or to masturbate rarely
    Aug 26, 2020
  3. zeusmx
    zeusmx
    I will look for it @All For One . Maybe the accumbens, maybe the amygdala. Maybe something downstream of it. What about if we that struggle with this addiction, have sensory terminals that are more sensitive to stimuli?
    Aug 27, 2020
  4. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    Well, the amygdala is definitely involved in sexual processing, but its involvement in addictive behavior is contested. There's something called the Kluver Bucy Syndrome which may interest you, but that only happens following a lesion to the amygdala.

I don't quite understand your question. Could you rephrase or elaborate?
    Aug 27, 2020
  5. zeusmx
    zeusmx
    I mean the sensory nerve terminals in the genitals. What if a lower activation threshold could be related with a facilitated stimulation?
    Aug 27, 2020
  6. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    For you to alter the excitability of a nerve, drugs are usually necessary to alter the number of ion channels and/or receptors on the postsynaptic membrane.

As for "lower activation threshold", I hope you realise that you will just end up making your genitals more sensitive to stimulation; as for what you mean by "facilitated stimulation", I have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to mean.
    Aug 27, 2020
  7. zeusmx
    zeusmx
    They share some pathways @palindromo , but some others are different. POMC neurons, for instance. Related with eating behavior, but not with arousal.

But I agree, whatever the pathways we can consciously moderate our behavior.
    Aug 27, 2020
  8. zeusmx
    zeusmx
    Of course, drugs can do that @All For One . But my question is not that. Genetic variants, protein variants, can produce variations in physiological responses. What if the physiological responses of the individuals with sensory terminals with a lower activation threshold in the genitals are more likely to develop a PM addictive behavior?
    Aug 27, 2020
  9. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    Ah i see what you mean. Well, you essentially described the nervous pathophysiology of any addiction- it's a property of nerves called Reinforcement and it is best seen in the hippocampal gyrus.

Here. You will enjoy this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2223162/

Just so I'm clear- what you're saying is already an established fact; you neededn't worry about your hypothesis being farfetched or anything.
    Aug 27, 2020
  10. zeusmx
    zeusmx
    I’m not worried @All For One , I’m curious. And I don’t see it is established, as I don’t find any evidence this it’s happening in humans presenting PM addiction. It’s very likely to happen, but it’s not established.
    Aug 27, 2020
  11. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    I don't mean with respect to PMO; I mean Reinforcement is a well-studied phenomenon in general and its applicabilities are well understood so it's not farfetched to say that they appliy in addictive behavior. To a scientist, this is like saying "blue is blue".
    Aug 27, 2020
  12. palindromo
    palindromo
    interesting point of view @zeusmx , if it were as you say, all the sensory nerves should be changed, not just the genitals. However, I believe it would be an extreme minority
    Aug 27, 2020
  13. palindromo
    palindromo
    look '' Hirsuties coronae glandis '' it is totally a normal type of glande that about 15% of men have , it raise the sensitivity and it is not a rare physiological mutation. Testing a sample of these men could prove what you mean.
    Aug 27, 2020