1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dalai Lama's Attitude Towards Sex

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MelancholyWeightlifter, Aug 19, 2014.

1. MelancholyWeightlifter

MelancholyWeightlifter Distinguished Fapstronaut

Had one of the strongest urges of my life a few minutes ago. Snapped out if it and did some research on the Buddhist Monk's view of sex. If you have an urge, distract yourself!

"You spoke about the wife of the French president being beautiful. But Dalai Lamas don’t marry. So do you miss sex?
    No, I don’t miss sex. Not only Buddhist monks don’t marry, Catholic monks don’t too. And many Indians.

How then do they satisfy their physical urges and feelings?
    Sexual pressure, sexual desire is short period satisfaction. But often, it leaves more complications. One of my friends, a Canadian, was a Buddhist monk, but after some time, he disrobed. Now he complains about so much sexual pressure, that’s he’s virtually trapped (laughs). Obviously, due to sexual pressure, people marry,soon after, they divorce. Again, they marry, and may divorce again. Divorce in a marriage which has produced children is terrible. In marriage, there is short period of sexual satisfaction, but there are many ups and downs. Monks or nuns have been trained to master their desires, and there is much less ups and downs. Monks, nuns, naturally as human beings have desires for sex, it is biological. But then, those who marry always have trouble, and in some cases it leads to murder or suicide. So, that is the consolation. We miss something, but at the same time, we live better lives. More independence, more freedom.

In marriage, if you live together, happy, and get old, there is the issue of who goes first, who dies first. Human attachment to your children and partner. And it becomes an obstacle to peace of mind. Whether right or wrong, we monks think that way. What do you think? You should join the monkhood (long laughter).
    The attachments bring trap. Whether it is to a person, to substances or whatever, it is a trap. Monks are detached. One of the practices in all major religions is detachment. Don’t have too much attachment, and you’ll be contented. You have it in Catholicism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, all major religions. You should be contented. Wealth, money, friend, family, contentment is best. It’s the key to peace of mind. Some of my friends are billionaires, but their minds is on more, more money. Contentment means some kind of personal check, but it doesn’t mean we no longer have desire. But attachment and desire should be separate. Without desire, then life is meaningless. Desire for good, for more service to others, desire for more benefit to others. That makes your life more meaningful. Without desire, then you’re a robot. No further progress. Genuine desire, with reasons, with logic, that’s proper desire.
    Anger also can be two types. One anger comes spontaneously. That’s okay. But the anger that says this person is my enemy, I have to hit back, that is bad and is based on ignorance, lack of holistic view. If you behave well to your enemy, practice forgiveness, and reach out in all sincerity, one day the enemy and you may become best of friends. We should not close that possibility."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. coolmike87

coolmike87 Fapstronaut

Thank you for posting this!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

3. MelancholyWeightlifter

Glad you enjoyed it, I think it offers a unique perspective.

4. IGY

IGY Guest

One of the strongest urges of my life - that is quite a statement! What brought that about?

5. Jack_the_ripper

Jack_the_ripper Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing such a nice post !!

Regards
    Jack

6. MelancholyWeightlifter

Idk man, it was crazy. I just got done doing a brutal squat workout that I finished with a cold shower, so my testosterone could have spiked. I was nervous about the next day and couldn't sleep so I might have been subconsciously looking for a stress relief/sleep aid.

7. IGY

IGY Guest

Well, I have said to you before that vigorous exercise will spike testosterone. You could ask for some blood work and see what levels you are operating at. My guess is high, or even, off the chart. Exercise as a healthy distraction is one thing, but could your routine be more of an obsession. If so, how can that be healthy for your mind or your body. It is almost like you have replaced one addiction with another. I am not being judgemental, just discussing possibilities if you are open to them.

8. MelancholyWeightlifter

Lifting has definitely replaced PMO. No question. I try to keep it balanced... I wonder how much a blood test would cost...?

9. Mystical•Citra

Mystical•Citra Fapstronaut

you should read the book " the perfect matrimony" by Samael Aun Weor!

10. MelancholyWeightlifter

Hmm. Seems a bit esoteric for my taste, but seems interesting.

11. vgc1

vgc1 New Fapstronaut

MelancholyWeightlifter, thanks for the great read! where did you get the article?

12. MelancholyWeightlifter