1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving Empathy?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jul 7, 2018.

1. I know it is hard to define but I'm interested in in it and ideas for increasing it.

What do you think it is?

Would you say it is emotionally relating to the needs of others - feeling pain when they feel pain and feeling the potential emotional consequences of actions on others as though you are doing it to yourself?

How do you grow this connection?

How about just enjoying being in the presence of other fellow living beings?

A41:14A likes this.
  2. I have a thought, maybe I should try talking to people with the only intention to listen to them and nothing else.

3. I think people have a certain base line empathy to start. That starting point is higher for some people. Strict "justice" thinking tends to cause people to have less empathy. For example, "everyone gets what they deserve" philosophies. It's an interesting thought. I think if you are asking it there's hope you'll find a way.

A41:14A and Deleted Account like this.
  4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

It's the ability to think beyond your own needs and desires. Beyond being self centered.

Stealing money from your parents wallet would be beneficial for your own needs and desires, but harmful towards them.

Cheating on your partner can satisfy selfish needs, but harmful towards your partner.

If you care about connecting with others, then you'll care about the well being of others and ultimately you'll be practicing empathy.

If you're in this world solely for your own needs and desires, then you won't be doing much connecting or sharing with others.

5. That is a great way of thinking but even a psychopath can do that. They can truly be interested in helping others but it would either be cold and cognitive, or their emotions would be contrived, learned and perhaps sentimental.

6. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

The difference is that a psychopath does that in order to get his/her own needs and desires met (manipulation and deception). The person that wants to connect, share, and care about others is actually doing so to look out for the best interests of the other person.

You can trick people to having sex with you and then break them emotionally or you can choose to conduct yourself honestly and allow them the choice of accepting or rejection you.