1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

One quote a day.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by jk243, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

One day, everyone that you know and everyone that knows you will be gone.

2. DeepRecovery

DeepRecovery Fapstronaut

"Paul Tillich has a beautiful formulation: “Language . . . has created the word ‘loneliness’ to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word ‘solitude’ to express the glory of being alone.” Loneliness is painful, emotionally and even physically, born from a “want of intimacy” when we need it most, in early childhood. Solitude—the capacity to be contentedly and constructively alone—is built from successful human connection at just that time. But if we don’t have experience with solitude—and this is often the case today—we start to equate loneliness and solitude. This reflects the impoverishment of our experience. If we don’t know the satisfactions of solitude, we only know the panic of loneliness." - Sherry Turkle, Reclaiming Conversation

Vicit_fidem likes this.
  3. DeepRecovery

DeepRecovery Fapstronaut

"Meditation, or samadhi, is connected with the idea of overcoming the constant search for entertainment. By overcoming that, you begin to cut through the subconscious mind, the mind that provides obstacles to meditation practice. Having done so, you begin to develop a state of absorption in the sense of complete presence.

The idea of samadhi is meditation from which there is no break. A break is not needed because, in its essence, meditation is already a break from samsara."
    Chogyam Trungpa, The Path of Individual Liberation

4. "Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know before you learned it." -- Maya Angelou.

5. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

“It is better to act and repent than not to act and regret.” - Machiavelli

6. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

“What you resist will persist, what you accept will transform” - Jesse Rafeh

Vicit_fidem and ZenYogi like this.
  7. "When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." --G K. Chesterton

8. ZenYogi

ZenYogi Fapstronaut

"I never lose I either win or learn." -Nelson Mandella

Azekah and BrighterFuture like this.
  9. "As long as you live, keep learning how to live." -Seneca

10. ZenYogi

ZenYogi Fapstronaut

The mind is everything what you think you become - Buddha

Azekah and Alrick Elden like this.
  11. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

I heard something a similar, but maybe a bit sadder "Everything you love will die." I guess that's a morbid way to say, appreciate those that you love today because no living thing is here forever.

Azekah likes this.
  12. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

The Stoics had a lot of wisdom that still holds true today.

13. Very true. Sadly, stoicism is often overlooked

14. "Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power." -Lao Tzu

Azekah, Vicit_fidem and Alrick Elden like this.
  15. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Not sure about you, but I practiced stoicism before I knew what it was. Now, I am happy to say I'm a stoic. Ryan Holiday does a good job on his site of keeping the practice relevant.

16. "No one confines their unhappiness to the present" - Seneca

Azekah and nomo like this.
  17. upload_2023-12-4_17-39-46.png

"I will not die a monster"
    Otto Octavius

One of the greatest character redemption arcs of all time

Azekah, chiyu and Alrick Elden like this.
  18. "You have no enemies at all, there is no one you need to hurt"
    Thors from Vinland Saga

Azekah likes this.
  19. ObjectiveCode

ObjectiveCode Fapstronaut