1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

2. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

3. I had many resets and I lost the counting. Recently every reset was because I was on this forum in the nights ... shows me how good it would be to get some distance - without hurting my recovery process of course.

It was good I did this Challenge for a while. Now the 9:30 pm sleeping time has become a rule to me.
    I leave now. Much success to everyone else here! See ya!

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Force Majeure likes this.
  4. 12/30, unfortunately I had a very hard time to sleep yesterday, so very tired.

5. 5/14

I've noticed that it's hard for my sleeping rhythm to change naturally. Therefore, I've been trying to set a bit earlier alarm. But today I slept for three extra hours!

6. DimovBG

DimovBG Fapstronaut

Ok guys I am in for that.
    My plan is to not use any screens after 8 pm. and before 9:30 am.

7. Philosophical_Dad

8. Philosophical_Dad

Slight change to my rules:

No Screens Challenge

No screens

A. after 6 p.m. or

unless:

1. it's to meet a next-day deadline that was set by someone else or that I set before 6 p.m.,

2. it's for a legitimate, in-person social purpose, such as watching a show or movie that my friend or wife suggested we watch,

3. it's video chatting with a close friend or relative,

4. it's looking up directions in Google Maps,

5. it's using Instacart to order groceries or track a grocery delivery, or

6. it’s looking at a “challenge” or “Time Block” Google Doc.
    If I use a screen after 6 p.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen. For example, if I'm working to meet a deadline, every tab, window, or app I open must help me meet this deadline.

And no screens

B. after 4:30 a.m. until I'm fully dressed and prepared to leave the house with my daughter

unless:

1. I'm not taking my daughter on our morning jaunt that day,

2. It's to check the weather,

3. It's to check whether something's open,
    4. It's to check a "challenge" or "Time block" Google Doc,
    5. It's an emergency, or
    6. It's to check Google Maps.
    If I use a screen after 4:30 a.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen.

TangoTao likes this.
  9. 0/30, bummer. I’ve been working too late in the evenings and my head has had a hard time stop thinking.

I’ve just decided to do a mental detox. I have realised I have way too many things around me that waits for me to work on them, which essentially leads me to work a little bit on every piece, which in turn leads me to not get anywhere, since I’m not focused enough on the same thing. I need to think about what my life goals are and reduce the number of potential distractions. After this mental detox, what I want to achieve is to have a small set of projects I can work on, which all share a common theme.

10. Philosophical_Dad

Really interesting! Good luck!

As I read this, I realized I'm dealing with a similar problem. Lately, I've tried "smart goals" and used those to "time-box." I haven't been doing this for long but so far it's seemed helpful.

4/30

11. Philosophical_Dad

12. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

I noticed that progressivly i'm more interested in creating rather then consuming things/content, i used to be able to watch videos and anime series for hours,but now i cannot do 15 minutes - before something inside me tells me ... "Hey we are wasting time here, we are not producing anything!"
    13/30