1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

10 reasons why Jesus cannot be God

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. I'm technically not Roman Catholic or Orthodox or rather... not officially so. I was brought up in an Anglican church attended a Catholic early school and a Baptist High School. Ive actually never not believed in transubstantiation and when I discovered in adulthood that everyone didn't believe this I was shocked. Slowly I have begun to realise that many .... teachings in the Catholic and Orthodox expressions of Christianity are correct. And because I listen to both sides ... I've often remarked that they are both ... on some issues... saying the same things.

I hope I didn't seem to harsh on Superman25... my intention was to let him know in clear terms that the teaching He has received is false. The Bible must be spiritually discerned and the carnal mind cannot comprehend it on its own. We apply reason to the scriptures but reason guided by the Holy Spirit knowing that our faculties are limited. Humility is key. If any of us are puffed up in the pride of knowledge then we have failed to attain to the first level of Christian Faith. I encourage our brother Superman25 to continue to search the scriptures and not to just follow blindly what others say. The Spirit of God will teach you. God bless.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Well said. I like your approach.

3. Superman25

Superman25 Fapstronaut

Just incase you're feeling offended or anything, just know that I'm not here to make you feel bad or anything. The Bible should be the only source of doctrines and information. It really makes God sad that people willfully disregard his Word and follow the traditions of men... Letting Scripture interpret Scripture is the Christian way, letting the Bible provide it's own interpretation. The disciples passed down information in the Bible, not through people. The traditions in the Church today didn't exist in the apostles' time. There was no cross veneration, no Virgin Mary and all that. These ideas have unscriptural roots and many disregard the Bible's view. The apostles respect God's word and it's that respect that they'd want passed down.

Taking all the things Jesus said in the Bible literally would only make one very confused. He uses illustrations and vivid parables and metaphors a lot. If we take them literally, the hidden lessons in it, would be lost.

Interpreting the Bible's message isn't human tradition, but by action of God's holy spirit. Holy Spirit would help us find the answers in the very Bible we have. There are more to the scriptures that you and I don't know.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  4. Superman25

Superman25 Fapstronaut

He also said the same thing for the wine... He was talking about the event going on. That event is part of the New Covenant. That meal he shared is meant to replace the Passover. This meal is done to commemorate his death. It's the only thing he said to be done to remember him in the entire scriptures. It's crystal clear

5. Superman25

Superman25 Fapstronaut

Yes, you are right. But the Bible shows that the disciples didn't recognize him until he made a familiar gesture or said a word that made them recognize him. John 20:15-17 shows that Mary Magdalene was talking to a man, whom she thought was the gardener, but because he called her by name, in a way Jesus would, she recognized him. Thomas had to feel his wounds to recognize him! Luke 24:16 says that Jesus was walking in their midst and they didn't recognize him. He had a spirit body because it was this body he took to heaven. Flesh and blood can't be in heaven, so says the scripture.

6. Superman25

Superman25 Fapstronaut

I appreciate that you want me to search the scriptures. It's an obligation that all Christians must do. What I'm saying, might sound strange to you, since youve been Anglican all your life. But this isn't an issue of denominations... This is an issue of Bible truth. What is in it specifically. Because it means salvation. If you check the origins of most doctrines...a lot of them have unscriptural roots....some from pagan religions...should we deceive ourselves and turn a blind eye to that? I don't follow blindly what others say... The Bible has opened my eyes to see the truth and avoid what others are saying. That's why Im trying to share what I've learned.

7. @Superman25 can you answer one thing? Who decided which books became "the Bible"? Jesus didn't write it himself. And all of it was recorded in writing after the apostles were gone. Who said "ok here is what you should believe, written out, now interpret it according to the holy spirit". The Bible doesn't even say that within itself. Nowhere in the Bible does it say you can only use the Bible to define docterine. Btw I'm very, very not offended, I've had these conversations many times and wasn't even a believer at times in my life. I appreciate you being polite and civil and I pride myself on that as well. Please dont infer an angry tone when you read my questions. I'm not agitated. I'm probing for truth. :)

8. Its definately not if over a billion people world wide disagree.

9. The Council of Rome.

10. Yup. Second question: who gave authority to this council to decide what should be is the Bible?

11. It was a small meeting of a few bishops. The reason why their version of canon won is because Jerome wrote the Vulgate immediately after that and included exactly those books. The Vulgate was THE Bible version to have during the Middle Ages, so there you have it.

12. I'm going to keep teasing out the core truth I've been hinting at with yet more questions. I'm not deliberately trying to frustrate you so I hope you dont see it that way.

Whether a small or large group, what exactly is a bishop? Who gets to decide who a bishop is and if that office or position isnt defined in the Bible they approved, and the bible is all I can use to define doctrine, why should I take what they give me or believe that they assembled the correct Bible?

13. Bible doesn't say: trust persons. Persons defined what Bible is. Therefore, don't trust Bible.
    Q.E.D.

14. Lol! That is definately one conclusion. But then how can you trust any book or history ever recorded? Maybe you can't? Then how does one seek knowledge? Personal experience? But then how do you trust your senses that can lie to you? Is truth unknowable?

15. War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength. Fuck truth.

16. 1984?

17. As Max stated ... what did the early Christians do before the Bible was compiled? How did they know what to do... were to go and how to appoint priests and bishops? The Bible did not descend from the clouds when Jesus ascended. So on what basis do you accept the authority of the Bible? For the first 60 odd years before any of the New Testamen was writtedt... was there no church? Sola scriptura (the tern used for what you are promoting) is a notion that denies reality. The New Testament was written after Christianity emerged, not before. This is a logical and historically factual statement. The answer is Jesus appointed apostles... and these men who were given authority from Christ... taught others how to follow Christ. Some apostles (e.g. Paul) wrote down accounts... some who came later (e.g. the early Church Fathers). wrote down other things.... the authority was passed down (Apostolic succession) and that authority given to the church (body of believers) is the basis for believing the Bible. If the preceding events did not occur in that preordained sequence the books we have in the Bible would be no different from any other book in a library. We believe the Bible because we believe that the Holy Church has the authority to declare these scriptures as inspired. And that did not occur until hundreds of years after the death of Christ.

Roady and Deleted Account like this.
  18. Let me ask you, how many times you have read New Testament books? I do not think anyone can be level of Jesus, as he is Son of God, it sounds like you said anyone can become God. All you can earn eternal life, or eternal punishment. God loves those who enough smart to understand their place in Creation, following the word of Lord.

Only the devil promised humans they can become like "God".
    God does not love those who think they can be "gods". Also God does not like witchcraft, occult techniques.

"10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,

11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.

13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.

The Prophet

14 The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so."

I have bad news for you, semen retention is a witchcraft technique, and channeling/manipulating energy too.

19. The question whether Jesus is God or not is discussed still nowadays in the acadamic area, in the clerical area, in internet, in laity area, almost everywhere. And it is very good to discuss it if this question is discussed to find the truth! Because God, so the truth and the good, He is all about and we should go to Him, including searching the truth.

I am catholic, but I read the complete Qur'an (Muhammad Asad). The Qur'an tells, that God can not have a son. Ok, but the christian theology says: God is Father, Son and Spirt. It does not say, God has a Son, it is an ontological difference. Sometimes I think the Qur'an wants to tell us, we should not think that God needs a son as a human man thinks to require a son to be continued, to show his potency, to be entitled to be proud. It is absolut correct that God does not need a son for those reasons. The catholic theology says: God is Father, Son and Spirit because of God's beeing of love. That is quite different to human thinking.

And: Matth 24,36 - Jesus did not say: I don't know. He said: The son does not know. If Jesus used "the son" He means Himself as human being, because "Son" refers to "Son of Man", meaning Son of humans (not: Son of God) And His human nature was not and can not be omniscient. If Jesus spoke of Himself as God, He used "I", or John wrote "The Word" or anything like this. For example, John 8,58: "“Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” = "εἶπεν αὐτοῖς Ἰησοῦς· ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, πρὶν Ἀβραὰμ γενέσθαι ἐγὼ εἰμί." εἰμί ("I am" in present tense, grammatically the past perfect seems to be correct, but this reference required present tense) refers exactly to the hebraic יהוה (That's why the people arount wanted to stone Him, not because of wrong grammar) So John 8,58 proves that Jesus is God if the bible is correct. And that's why the Muslims think the bible is falsified. But to falsify so many importan parts of the bible, including the Old and New Testament and nobody before the Islam complained it - very hard to believe! And we have got the miracle in Fatima, the miracle of lanciano and many other circumstances making me believe in the catholic religion. But I have to admit reading the Qur'an helped me a lot and I really respect the Islam and every Moslems, who obey every line of the Qur'an (and not only the easy ones).

So let all of us go to God and find the truth and the good in Him. While going, we should control our sexuality as our religions require. Because there is only one way to God: Do what God wants us to do!

jcl1990 likes this.