1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Acoustic guitar thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by brilliantidiot, Oct 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Anyone else into acoustic guitar? Post the songs you know or wrote!

I play mainly bluegrass and some classical as well, alternative flat picking style. Here are the last three songs I've been working on.

I'm no where near as fast as the last guy^

2. brilliantidiot

3. Cool. I currently own a Yamaha LL6 ARE. They are not bad guitars at all but I'm still dreaming of a Martin. Hope to get one some day.

Technically I think the most progress can be made looking up scales and practicing over those. I like blues scales especially. They are the foundation of a lot of really good music.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  4. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

You should stop by your local guitar center every few weeks or so. Sometimes you can find a nice used guitar for pretty cheap. I snagged a nice Martin 12 string a few months ago. Had my luthier lower the action and it's now my favorite guitar out of the three that I own and it was less then half the price of the others.

5. brilliantidiot

Same. The only problem with a martin is the price tag. I actually still love my yamaha too though, its got a nice tone to it.
    I agree, especially helpful with improvisation.

6. brilliantidiot

Good idea!

7. Now Westlin Winds, by Dick Gaughan. Makes me proud to be Scottish, even though I'm not.

8. M
    May You Never, by John Martyn.

9. And finally, type in 'Bulerias Tomatito' into Youtube. Wow. It is finger picking..

10. But how can I forget 'Romeo and Juliet'? Dire Straits.

11. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Yamaha FD01 here.

Most of what I know are super cheesy 80's rock ballads, which I'm unashamed to say is the main reason I learned to play guitar. :)

12. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Lol...I guess I can't really fault you for that. All you have to do is learn to strum G, C, and D and you can play just about any cheesy romantic song on the radio and impress all the ladies!

13. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

I'm jealous, I want to learn to play the guitar.

14. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

What's stopping you?

15. brilliantidiot

Go for it man!

Get_It likes this.
  16. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

I will. I wanna learn to play Brother by Alice in Chains.

17. brilliantidiot

This is the song I'm gonna work on next. Especially the guitar piece around the 2:30 mark.

18. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Bro, just pull the trigger. If you can find a local teacher, sign up for an introductory lesson. A lot of teachers do a first lesson for free. Do you have a guitar?

I had a guitar and for at least 10 years or so, I thought "it'd be so cool to play guitar someday." As I got older, I realized that unless I just made it happen, "someday" would eventually mean "never."

I tried several times to teach myself by watching YouTube videos, but that's a tough road. It's very hard to stay disciplined and you don't have anyone there to coach you and encourage you through the hard parts. So I finally just found a teacher here in town who I meet up with for an hour, one day a week. It's amazing how much I've learned in a year and a half.

19. What a cool thread. I've been playing guitar for over a year now and I picked up an acoustic just a few months ago. How long have you been playing? What would you say helped you see progress quickly when you were in the early years of playing?