1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Spiritual and Physical Worlds

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. The display of God's power in the healing is what brought God glory. It is something different to say that the blindness itself brought God glory or that he was pleased with the condition. God is not the author of evil and he takes no delight in it.

2. and yet he allowes it and it is part of his will, unless you thikGod dosent get his way?

3. when the martyrs died in the Coliseum did it bring glory to God?

4. Ephesians 1:11-12 “… also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, to the end that we were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory.”

5. not some thi
    Not some things ALL THINGS not the things we would like ALL THINGS not what we want what HE wants

6. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I agree. In Judaism we would say that man is made up of two halves: the physical - his body, and the spiritual - his soul. The unification of these two contrasts creates the connection between the two worlds.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  7. The steadfastness of these martyrs who held to their faith despite the cost to them certainly speaks to the devotion they have to God. Only someone worthy would enjoy such allegiance from his followers. So, God is worthy to be entrusted with our very lives, as he first gave them to us. When we lay them down sacrificially for him, that does indeed bring glory to his name.

However, that is an entirely different thing than saying that the gladiatorial combat itself was a good thing because it caused this martyrdom to occur, and that God's intent was to bring about something so horrific merely so that he would be glorified by these deaths.

If there is a God who engineers evil scenarios so that he can bring good out of them and thus glorify himself, I cannot stop him from doing so, but I cannot love such a being and I would certainly not agree that he is worthy of my life and my all. Of course, I do not believe that this is at all indicative of who God is. Scripture is full of accounts of God's deep displeasure with and sadness over a world broken by sin. If sin was his idea in the first place, so that he might restore and be glorified, then his grief over sin seems an odd reaction.

8. Im not saying thats true but what you have described brother is idol worship. We worship God because of who he is not what we think or feel about him.

9. Prince83

Prince83 Fapstronaut

Hello Mr. McMarty,
    This is a great example of an eisegetical statement. However, the exegetical meaning has been completely left out. With proper hermeneutics and etymology, one will find the original context and meaning.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  10. please continue

11. I worship God and entrust my life to him because he is unfailingly *good*. He has proven this to me time and time and time again. I no longer have any reason to doubt him.

If he were not good, he would not be God, and he would not be worthy of worship. Some of what you say about God makes him seem less than good, but perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying. It certainly would not be the first time I was mistaken! :)

12. Im saying he is good because he is God, not God because he is good. When God ordered the Israelites to conquer the promised land and put the Canaanites women and children to the sword it was not because it was intrinsically good but good because God made it so.

13. I guess I am glad that our right standing with God is not contingent on our intellectual acceptance of a series of propositions any more complex than "Jesus loves me, this I know."

Something about what you are saying here leaves the Spirit within me very unsettled. If God tells someone to rape their neighbor or burn down their house, it is somehow good because he makes it so? Something about this is not right. God would never command such a thing! Because he is good! He can bring good out of bad situations, but that does not the make the precipitating situation good.

But I feel we are going in circles. I must confess that I seem to lack the intellect to follow you any further. I apologize. I feel defeated somehow.

14. I apologize to the OP. We seem to have wandered far afield. I did not mean to hijack your thread.

15. Prince83

Prince83 Fapstronaut

There is no need to add to my statement Mr. McMarty. The next step, should you desire to take it, would be to go back and re-read the scriptural texts with proper hermeneutics and etymological study to reveal the exegetical message. This kind of exegetical study will always reveal the absolute truth to every text in the Holy Scriptures.