1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

whats your belief?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

your belief

1. theist

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. atheist

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. agnostic

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

I don't call myself an atheist but I picked that option since I don't believe in anything supernatural (no offense intended to anyone who is a believer).

Maybe it's a good idea to act as if God exists as Jordan Peterson says. I don't know, I guess I am trying to do that, strive to do what is right.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Deleted Account and u376 like this.
  2. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

being a good person is more important than being atheist or theist
    but yes following religion helps us to check ourselves

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I'm an agnostic-atheist.

I am an atheist because I do not have any belief in God. Belief is assumption of something without any proof to support it. It's basically self-delusion. You take something from your imagination and assume it to be fact simply because you feel like that. I find this very silly thing to do. Often of course these things happen unconsciously. And because people are not aware of their unconscious mind and how it functions they tend to be hijacked by this. Or they get programmed by their family or society.

It's very annoying when people take their imagination and use it to justify evil things such as homophobia, sexism and so on, which religious people, not all but many, tend to do. It's like being possessed by ideology and dogma.

And I am agnostic because there is currently zero proof of existence of God, however I recognize that simply because there is no proof it does not mean that God is not real. Right now we simply can't know.

And even if I would some day and up finding out that God is real, like through mythical experience for example, I would never join a religion. I think world would be a better place without religions. Belief in God is one thing. Spirituality is good and necessary. But organised religions, with very few exceptions such as Buddhism for example, have done bad things to the world. All the evil they have done and keeps doing outweigh the good. All the close mindedness, hate, wars, etc.

plusscientist likes this.
  4. Superman25

Superman25 Fapstronaut

You're taking it a bit emotionally as a human...Ok, consider this...the things you find ugly about nature are only confined to a certain species known as mammals. Mammals are the smartest group of animals, but we humans are, not only the smartest mammals, but the most empathetic. But just like other animals, they are in total moral anarchy, since they cannot distinguish between right and wrong. Humans, on the other hand, are moral beings...we aren't animals that act on instinct. We have a conscience, that allows us to create a sense of what is right and wrong... So using words like rape and murder are words that just don't fit among animals...these words come to play when there's a question of morality. And you can use such terms with people that understand the gravity of the terms. But animals are not moral beings, so it doesn't fit with them. It's only in extreme case of scarcity you see such "atrocious" acts among animals. Hyenas feed on carrion and carcasses but it's in extreme cases you see stuff like that. Are we any different? During the Biafran war in Nigeria, there was extreme scarcity of food that people resorted to cannibalism, by eating some children and people. This is in the extreme and not the usual, so that's the way life can get.

5. Idk but ill find out, as will all of us

6. Sentient beings are still suffering regardless of whether they are able to understand it in terms of human concepts, or undersand it at all. I'm not saying it's moral or immoral.

Saying its only in extreme scarcity that you see grim stuff among animals, or that its confined to mammals, is simply factually incorrect- but its also irrelevant, in the sense that something happening only once is enough to refute the existence of a god who is both all powerful and totally benevolent.

And we are different in some ways- but if anything, we have the capacity to be much worse than other animals.

Of course, all this is irrelevant if you believe in a God who is not totally benevolent, or who is not all powerful.

7. Not necessarily. It's possible God is happy letting us die and that being the end of it. Actually, I would rather that then a deal where I can go to heaven, but other people have to go to hell.

8. ... that's a valid point. You'd still find that out when you die. If nothing happens, you seize to exist

9. Spoken like a man who's never been in a Yate's Wine Bar in the north of England at midnight on a Saturday.

10. brfreedom

brfreedom Fapstronaut

For those who are catholic, they can confess their sins to God through a priest and receive forgiveness and grace that will fortify him against their own enemies (passions) and external enemies (demons).

11. i am a fundamentalist christian.

Christian Fox and u376 like this.
  12. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I'm a Christian because it takes more faith to believe that everything popped out of nothing and for no reason, then it does to believe an intelligent force which brought everything into existence which is what we call God.

When comparing both world views, (the theist and atheist), I've come to the conclusion that God has to exist, because nature and everything we know in regards to intellect, logic, morality and beginning all point towards a single creator. If you take the law of entropy for example. Everything was created in such order and is slowly becoming more and more disorderly. If you look at the big bang as well, space, time and matter came into being in a single point. We know that our universe has an edge and that outside that edge is nothing. This phenomenon points to a moment of creation.

If you also take in account that everything is run by laws. The laws of physics need intelligence for them to exist.

There isn't enough proof in the world to support atheism to be honest, at least I haven't heard any decent arguments. There is more proof for theism, hence I'm a theist.

13. SolitaryScribe

A heretic, that's who God will consider you.

14. This is a strawman. Atheists would say they don't know how everything came into existence. Atheism isn't an active belief but a passive disbelief and also atheism has nothing to do with the origin of anything. It's an opinion on a question. Atheism has nothing to do with how humans or the universe came into existence. Sure there are atheists that assert/believe/claim to know that God doesn't exist but that's only some of them... not all of them think that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2019
    Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  15. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

You are not God, heretic.

16. SolitaryScribe

Not sure what your blabbering on about. All atheists I've seen go around screaming God doesn't exist. This is a negative claim that goes on being spewed without any evidence. Then they're tell you that it's impossible to prove a negative claim, which is a fallacy. I've never met an atheist that says they "lack" belief in a god... They only say this when they are cornered into having to provide proof for their claim.

If you make the claim that God does not exist, you are inadvertently claiming that everything came into being out of nothing and for no reason.

If you want proof, go to any comment section of any youtube video that has to do with religion or theology, or any atheistic forums.

17. SolitaryScribe

No I'm not, but I know better then to formulate my own beliefs about him and make him in my own image.

18. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

That’s what the Trinity is. It’s in no way biblical; it was only a solution to a divided church.

19. SolitaryScribe

Your problem lies with putting all authority in the bible. Did Jesus write the bible? Did the early followers of Christ have a bible in their homes?

You seem to neglect the holy Christian traditions that were passed down from one generation to the other. The early church fathers believed in the trinity, so did the early Christians. This is even before the council of Nicea. Even Paul believed in the trinity. Christ himself tells us to ask things in the name of the father, son and the holy ghost.

That all aside, do you even believe that Christ was God?