1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Isolation

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by ProfessorW, May 9, 2017.

1. ProfessorW

ProfessorW Fapstronaut

My biggest trigger is isolation. I isolate myself on purpose....on accident....I just do it. Then I get triggered. I'm working on this but I think it's part and partial with loneliness, etc.

2. BeautyForAshes

BeautyForAshes Fapstronaut

Self imposed isolationism, huh? I went through that phase back in middle school. Loneliness can make a man hollow y'know. You need that peer interaction. Especially if you recognize it as a trigger. It also makes you socially awkward, which inturn might make you depressed, which inturn is a powerful trigger, alone. A perpetual loop, so to speak. Honestly, I think people are triggered because they want to be (not sayin' you).

3. BeautyForAshes

Professor Uranium...I mean Plutonium, huh. It brings back memories. Oh, the nostalgia.

4. meanbean70

meanbean70 Fapstronaut

Dude same. I isolate myself because i am super socialy awkard. @BeautyForAshes is definktely right. It is a loop we need to break. It is hard, but we need to work on making more social connections. It is especially hard when you are hit with depression.

5. BeautyForAshes

I know it's hard, but you have to keep trying. I still have ADHD, but you wouldn't be able to tell if you personally met me. I was very socially awkward. I trained myself socially. I've totally been where you guys were. You have to "train" yourselves. It took me two years, so don't feel bad. I had to reverse years of isolationism.

6. JamesD

JamesD Fapstronaut

I suffer depression. When I get down I isolate myself as I am worried people won't like me or I'll argue or say something offensive. It often makes me unhappy though. In some ways PMO has been a poor way of self-medicating at these times.

I wonder if this has become the cause. Let me explain. I lock myself away and PMO when I am depressed. When I have done this I get an endorphin rush. Next time I need an endorphin rush, guess what? I get depressed. I think my PMO has been hand in hand with depression. Each feeding the other.

When you feel you are isolating yourself, perhaps go half way. Talk to someone, even if it is saying Hi to the person in the shop when you buy your lunch, or phoning family. Locking yourself away is bad.

Eddie Fapstronaut likes this.
  7. ProfessorW

ProfessorW Fapstronaut

Everything you guys have said is true but not reflective of my story so much. When I isolate it's not just socially awkward isollation... It's more just a physical removal and desire to be alone. When I'm not alone, I interact and engage just fine. It's more of a choosing to go home to avoid others at work who have hurt me or choosing to go to the living room to avoid my dear wife.

Does that make sense?

8. Dr. Loose

Dr. Loose Fapstronaut

Hey man, I guess I don't know much Bout your living situation, but you've got a wife. Sure you love her and at least share some similarities with her. Try spending more time with her. Work your way out of your problem from there

9. I Free I

I Free I Guest

And you just found the answer to your problem . :emoji_pray:

10. Eddie Fapstronaut

Eddie Fapstronaut Fapstronaut

IMG_0064.PNG
    The negative effects of isolation are extensive and can even put you at a higher risk of premature death. But there is hope! By interacting with people that are in the same fight as you, e.g. NoFap, you begin to build a realistic optimism within you that will motivate you to make changes in your life. You can start small by putting yourself in public places such as reading in a coffee shop, going for a walk in your down town area, or shopping at a farmers market. Anything where your around people, even if at first you don't talk to anyone, your subconcience will be positively affected by seeing other human faces and voices and how they interact with one another. Soon you'll begin to feel a little more encouraged to begin small social interactions and work your way up. You are not alone. We are in this together. There are people that will like you if given the chance. Stay strong! Stay positive!:)

Woodchester, ProfessorW and Kman20 like this.
  11. ProfessorW

ProfessorW Fapstronaut

That's awesome. Thanks!