1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Philosophical Question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Archangel01, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Archangel01

Archangel01 Fapstronaut

I was just driving with my car on a road where the tempo-limit was 65mph.
    A more narrow two lane road with a slope on each side.
    There were a few cars in front of me driving at that limit speed.
    Suddenly the guy behind me wanted to overtake me. I already kinda expected something like that and as soon as I noticed, I of course accelerated as well.
    We were in a longer curve and as soon as the curve was over, he and I saw that a car was oncoming.....
    I stepped into the break and let him in.

After the incident, I totally lost it, I got really angry, but I asked myself the question why I got so outrageous angry? I mean really why?

If I look at the situation from an objective perspective what happened was, that a person forced me into the responsibility of deciding if an accident with even innocent people in the oncoming car with maybe even people dying will happen or not.
    It was solely my decison.

So did my anger come, if you break it down, from that I've been given so much responsibility in that moment I think was too much for me to handle?
    What do you guys think about that?

blacklabel92 likes this.
  2. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

You most likely got angry because the man was so impatient that he risked the life of not only himself but his passengers and those in the other car, which if forethought and patience were executed he could of passed safely in a straight passing lane. The anger also slightly comes from what you said, most likely, as well. Cause if he didn't do this seemingly reckless move, you wouldn't of had to act. In layman's terms, bad drivers are stupid and mega dumb, it's not like it hard to drive safely.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  3. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I think is because of the conflict between your unwillingness to let him do it, and seeing yourself forced to let him do it, why did you accelerated to try to prevent him from overtaking you to begin with?

That conflict showed up as anger because it bent your will.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  4. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

take it frm me bro. some ppl are just assholes behind the wheel. some will try and speed past behind u and cut you off cause they simply dnt like ur car or theyll sit behind or in front of you with their high beems on because their stupid and inconsiderate. i just learned to accept these things, driving is a privilege not a god given right and with everything considered sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad and the bad with the good..

5. Archangel01

Archangel01 Fapstronaut

I accelerated because there was absolutely no reason for overtaking. There were a lot of other cars in front of me too and soon there came a roundabout and then slower tempo-limits.

The obvious reason why I and likely everyone else gets angry in such a situation is pretty clear, but lets see it from another side.
    The oncoming driver has the most reason to be angry. His life was in danger because of some stupid person he doesn't even know.
    The aggressive driver actually gave, because of his ignorance, his life in the hands of a complete stranger, namely me. That should make him angry of himself.
    And I wasn't really that in danger in this situation, but in a powerful position. So seeing it from that perspective, I have no reason to be angry.

I'm trying to find out what this tells me about me, and if there are people with a different mindset who would automatically see it from that second perspective.

The reason why I'm making such a big deal of this is, that I'm trying to find out, out of what belief systems I work and make my decisions.
    Because technically if I find belief systems in my mind that lead to bad outcomes over and over again if I decide based on them, I could try to change them and would automatically make better decisions which would lead to a better life.

6. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

That's your excuse mate, you could just have not given a fuck and let the dumbbell overtake you, but you didn't want to let him do it because to your criteria "there was absolutely no reason", then he forces you to let him do it, because not allowing him put you in that situation and hard decision with lives involved, so you had to let him although you didn't want to for whatever criteria or reason you want to put as a reason.

That conflict of having a will, and having to fight against your own will, creates anger, and in the long term, resentment, that's what it is really.

If that tells anything about your belief systems is that you are a person with a strong will and doesn't like to have it bent, specially not for external reasons you don't approve.

But hei, that's just my analysis.

7. [​IMG]