1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by tacomanarrows, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Hey all,

I'm in the uk and it is raining, wet, dark and just minging.

This time of year I always seem to get a bit down which I guess could be labelled SAD or just winter blues.

I was wondering if anyone else feels the same and what are some of your tips for keeping happy through the dark winter?

2. flame0

flame0 Fapstronaut

I used to have SAD.

Weight training was huge in helping balance my moods and emotions.
    The most practical advice I can give you is to start working out if you don't already.

Finding community, time with friends, and productive hobbies can also greatly help.

3. Arvizium

Arvizium Fapstronaut

I agree with flame0, exercising and picking-up new hobbies has been an exceptional aid to me in my past endeavors of NoFap, and the symptoms of SAD.

4. IGY

IGY Guest

I have clinical depression which does not fluctuate with the weather. :( But for those with SAD, I heard that it has something to do with too few hours natural light. Furthermore, there is a claim that a special lamp can be used which reproduces elements of natural light and can rejuvenate someone with this malady. I've no idea what it is called though.

Arvizium likes this.
  5. Pizzicata

Pizzicata Fapstronaut

vitamin D to compensate sunshine
    magnesium citrate because majority of people don't have enough and it make less stress, happier and sleep better.

6. Hey Pizzicata - good tips. I already take magnesium. I was wondering why you specify Magnesium Citrate? I checked and mine is Magnesium Oxide...Should I switch?

Also thanks for all the other great tips guys. I actually already weightlift but only a couple of times a week. I think that this isn't enough in winter, in summer it's ok because I am busy on the beach usually, but in this dark winter I should lift more frequently.

7. BailHope

BailHope Fapstronaut

I also used to suffer from winter depressions, as we call them in my country. Usually, during december (and the holidays just made it a lot worse), I'd lose all motivation, hope, faith in life, ...

What helped for me, is to get a new hobby. I started taking music classes two years ago, and I've had two decembers so far without any form of depression. So yes, get a new hobby. It helps!

8. shutdown66

shutdown66 Fapstronaut

You can buy a UV type light, which can give you the natural boost your body needs this time of the year.

I too live in the UK and suffer with SAD too, it doesn't help having weather like this, because one who has this just wants to stay in bed.

I think any slight exercise and hobby will help..... on super rainy days, I tend to go to Coffee shops, this helps with both trying to engage socially and also to be active when the weather sucks.

I think a way to remedy it, is to just be accepting of it and challenge yourself to do things in it.... I found that its better to be outside in it, than in a dark bedroom dwelling in your own mind.

tacomanarrows likes this.