1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Consumerism sucks

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 7, 2017.

1. I don't even understand why everything is in the favor of the fan service nowadays. Remakes, reboots, remasters, reimagines, rehashes, etc. Americans have been spoiled for shit in the recent years. :emoji_thumbsdown:

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I'm going to see the new "It" movie (which is a remake) this weekend. Can't wait! :D

3. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Why? How will that benefit you?

4. DontWasteYourLife

DontWasteYourLife Fapstronaut

I think it's not even this bad to remake a film ( to stay with the example :D) because sometimes there are just some thoughts behind the film who aren't anymore up to date.

5. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

It's about money. If they redo something that was really popular, they are guaranteed to get many of the old viewers back, plus they'll get some new viewers too.

Personally I agree with you.. Even if it's good, the remake is of course never quite like the original.. it would be better if they just tried something new.

Taylor25 likes this.
  6. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I don't agree, some remakes I've seen have been a far superior movie than the original. But... there's also been some flops. It's all a gamble. To say something like "all remakes suck," you're just being ignorant. You should be saying "SOME remakes suck."

7. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Duh.... Every single movie released (including new/original ones) is created for the sole purpose of generating a shit-ton of money.

If studio executives knew a movie wasn't going to make money, they wouldn't proceed with production.

8. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

Exactly, they don't want to take risks. Remaking movies is a safe bet because they know they'll get some money, the market is competitive.
    BTW I'm not saying they should never remake stuff... I am sure I've enjoyed some movies that were remakes, and the new IT does look good. - But at the moment you have to admit there is a lot, there's like 2 new ones every week!

9. ???

10. Getting young viewers into the rehashes of classic films and movie franchises isn't going to work, at least if those remakes and reboots are poorly executed, and that really hurt the future of mankind and creativity.

11. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I wouldn't say that all remakes are poor. Hollywood has always done remakes, it's just that the current crop are getting very bad. I would say beginning around 1970 the remakes have been getting poor, with only a few exceptions. For example: Ben-Hur: A Tale of Christ (1925) is an excellent silent film. Ben-Hur (1959) is another excellent adaptation of the story. The recent adaptation from 2016 is a complete piece of trash.

I await to see what Bruce Willis and Eli Roth can do with Death Wish. All I could think about watching the trailer was "Charles Bronson would never, ever wear a hoodie.". God I miss Charles Bronson.

Final thought: Why does The Equalizer work at Home Depot? In the 80's TV show he did not have to work for money. He was smart, made a lot of money working as spy/operative over the years and had investments.

12. ^^^^^

I have no idea why the 2016 version of Ben-Hur was in the work. Whoever begged for that (not anybody from Hollywood, just nostalgic fans, millennials and gen z as the whole) should be shot.

13. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

You're such a hater.