1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

To kneel or stand? What's your opinon with the national anthem protests in America?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lazarus Shuttlesworth, Sep 25, 2017.

1. TheLoneDanger

TheLoneDanger Fapstronaut

I’m always puzzled when people say this. If that were the case, how did Obama get elected twice? I’m not a Trump supporter, but I’d think there’s plenty of ammo to bash him without going to the “racists got him elected” card.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. But when you start getting victimized by a crime, who do you run to?

Police are just enforcing laws. It's unrealistic that a large percentage are racist killers. Most cops are just trying to do their job.

Also i do think white privilege exists. I have been in a few encounters w the US police and I've gotten off w things that I know that if I was dressed hood I would go to jail most likely. And cops are legally allowed to profile people, and do all the time.

So some form arises, but not to the point of homicidal tendencies or even necessarily racism. Does white privilege and profiling make the cops racist pigs? Possibly a small percentage. Think of the number of these alleged police racist shootings videos and how many US cops there are. It just seems unfair to bring every cop into it. And they have, obviously. Everybody hates the police.

3. Yeah, people forget that sometimes there's a good reason that they're only stopping black people... like that they happen to be on the lookout for a black man who has killed a bunch of people or something. That kind of stuff happens all the time, and if it was a blonde, white woman, I'm sure I would get stopped as well. I totally believe that racism can play a role on these things more often than it should, for sure, but I'm really sick of EVERY single thing that looks slightly racial profile-y being labeled as racism. That's just silly and it distracts everyone from real issues when they try to make something into a race thing, when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why they're talking to black people.

4. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

Slager was not convicted of murder, that jury was hung. Before a second trial he plea bargained to a charge of depriving Scott of his civil rights. His defence was that he feared for his life and fired in self defense. Five bullets in Scott's back stopped the backwards fleeing attack that caused Slager's panic.
    Some progress is being made. Last month Florida made history when they executed a white man for having killed a black man. In the last 40 years, they had executed 20 black men for killing whites.

5. Did you guys also hear about Jay-z allegedly turning down an offer to perform at the super bowl halftime show?

Call me crazy but I think he should've just did a performance embracing the protest. Could've took advantage of the whole country having eyes on you. I have a feeling that there will be some sort of protest at the super bowl anyways lol

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. CompulsiveCrab

CompulsiveCrab Fapstronaut

You are fake news.
    https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/2010_census/cb11-cn185.html
    You're not emotionally stable to be effective in a political debate. Stay in cali!!!

7. TheLoneDanger

TheLoneDanger Fapstronaut

The Slager plea deal was contingent on the court applying the sentencing guidelines for second degree murder. If you feel that the name of the charge makes the punishment any less just, or you think Slager should’ve received the death penalty, you’re entitled to that opinion. The way I see it, the dude went to prison for committing the crime. His sentence shouldn’t be weighted to right the history of wrongs in this country.

8. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

I think that in this country, where we claim all men are created equal, it is still impossible to convict a white policeman of murder when he kills a black man, woman, or child. If the filming is blatantly obvious enough, the policeman may be reprimanded, may lose his badge, and may have to serve time, but, if the victim is of color, the time they serve will not be for murder. The playing field is not level, the referees are not colorblind, and we are glad that we weren't created black. Especially if we get stopped at night, it is nice to be white.

9. You have a point. The only way a cop *might* be punished is if he's filmed shooting a person point blank in the back of the head. Even then he'll just say "I feared for my life" as they virtually always do. Then of course the judge and jury will betray us all and let the cop off the hook because "we have to support our police". I am deeply ashamed of this country and I don't know if I'll ever stop feeling that way.

10. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

I can be impressed by how far we have come, but that does not mean that we have arrived or that there are no people fighting for us to regress. I have seen restrooms and water fountains for "colored only" and "white only." The N word was widely accepted in the '50's, and still used for years. In the late '70's, I told a couple of students that they could not use that word in my class room, they looked at me as if I were from another planet, and asked, "Why not, if that is what they are?"
    We are now experiencing some national backlash to having had a black president, but how many western countries have elected a black president or prime minister? It is not easy to heal from so many years of slavery. Something that concerns me is the roll, or lack of roll, of much of conservative Christianity in fight for equality.