1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the NFL National Anthem Protests

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 25, 2017.

Should NFL Players have the right to "take a knee" if they choose?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. That's not equivalent at all, unless you're assuming the person is making a very public statement about what they believe in the work place (for example having a very loud conversation about their faith, or posting signs around the office, or sending out an email to the entire office about how offended they are that their belief isn't respected). In that case, they will (and should) be fired. The workplace is not the appropriate forum for these things. At best it's unprofessional, at worst unethical.

Playing football is a job (hence the salary). Part of that job, for whatever reason, is standing for the national anthem and remembering that we live in a country where we're not in fear of our lives (and have time to do ridiculous things like play sports). If you don't like doing that aspect of your job, either a) vouch to change it (i.e. no longer having the national anthem) or b) find a new job.

2. That's not what I said at all. In fact, it's basically the exact opposite of what I said. I said they are expected to stand for the anthem, and make the political statement that they support America and the troops and everything else the flag stands for.

I doubt that... And if that did happen, I wouldn't agree with it. I would ask they they are making everyone sing the Anthem every morning then, if they aren't going to allow people who don't support it to peacefully decline to participate.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have not said a single thing here to disrespect veterans. I am not "mouthing off about veterans." This right here -- the false statement you just made about me mouthing off about vets -- is exactly the CRAP I'm speaking of that I am sick of.

Okay, so why not just call for the NFL to stop playing the Anthem then? If people can't handle someone exhibiting their constitutional right to freedom by not standing for the anthem, then they shouldn't be playing it at all. If they're going to force people to stand who don't agree with standing, that's just not right, to me. So many people who are upset about the "take a knee" thing are constantly saying "leave politics out of sports!" I agree... let's do that. By not forcing everyone to stand and honor the country with a flag and a song. I think it's 100% pure hypocrisy for anyone to complain about politics being in sports and also be so totally in favor of the Anthem being played and forcing everyone to stand in honor. Those two things are complete contradictions. You can't have it both ways. Either you don't want politics in sports, so we shouldn't sing the Anthem at all, or you DO want the Anthem to be played, and therefore are inviting politics into the stadium.

3. In my view, what the NFL football players is immensely more offensive (we're not talking beliefs, we're talking disrespecting actual veterans who gave their lives for freedom).

4. waddup third eye

5. Okay then I apologize, I simply misunderstood that statement.

Do you work in corporate America? Because I do and I can tell you that I'd ABSOLUTELY be fired. Regardless of whether or not you agree with it, that's reality. It's to prevent people from bringing unnecessary strife into a professional environment. And only one person is singing the national anthem, not everybody. People are only asked to respect what it stands for (self-sacrifice, honor, integrity, and freedom).

The point I was making is that we have freedoms in this country that we take for granted. Especially by doing things like kneeling during an event that honors that freedom. I would bet money that the players doing the kneeling do not fully understand what the national anthem represents or means (hint: it has nothing to do with whether or not you agree with American values, politics, etc.)

Fair enough.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. And despite your views, those men and women would give their lives for you all over again if they could, so you could continue to enjoy your freedoms.

This is the problem with peace, it creates a world of people who don't understand just how good and easy things are for them.

7. I don't think those are reallt equivalent either, honestly. I think a closer equivalency would be someone putting up a cross in their cubicle. It's not like the players are booing at the flag or yelling crap about how much they hate America.

8. Fair enough. We just disagree a bit on the level of offense. I personally don't see it as that offensive to kneel during the Anthem. If they were booing or causing a scene or yelling or burning flags or something, sure, that's offensive. But kneeling just doesn't bug me at all.

Here--To--Heal likes this.
  9. It would seem so. I think it boils down to what standing for the national anthem represents. It has little (possibly nothing) to do with the U.S. government, foreign policy, or whether this country was justified in a certain war.

It has everything to do with honoring the WHY and the HOW we are here. Good men and good women laid down their lives a long time ago so we could live in a place where help (from a total stranger) is just three digits away. Whether the players understand it or not, kneeling during the national anthem is a statement directly to those heroes.

10. I think some people just don't understand that, or see it differently. They have a different interpretation of what standing means.

This reminds me of something that happened on Survivor once... all the contestants were brought to this temple or something, to participate in a religious like... Idk what to call it... ritual I guess. Everyone was fine with it, even though they didn't agree with the religion or whatever, because they just saw participation as a sign of respect to the culture. One devout Christian woman, however, did not participate because she felt that doing so was signifying acceptance and agreement to whatever the religious ritual was about, and she didn't feel comfortable making that statement. A lot of the other contestants were confused and said she was being rude, but that's because they didn't see it the same way she did. They thought "why wouldn't she just do it anyway? All it is is a symbol of respect." But she didn't see it as JUST a symbol of respect.

I think the same can be said about this issue. I believe most of those players have respect for veterans, but they don't see standing for the Anthem as JUST a symbol of respect for veterans. I understand that's what most people see it as, and perhaps that's what it's "supposed" to mean, but to them it clearly means something different, and I think it's important for people to fully understand that before judging their decision to kneel as being a slap in the face to vets.

11. Well thought out and well written response.

12. Thank you :)

13. Chris3000 likes this.
  14. CompulsiveCrab

CompulsiveCrab Fapstronaut

It's not a matter of whether he had the right to protest. It's whether it was appropriate to put politics into sports. This is why people are upset. Which should be neutral but most know it's liberal. Trumps action was a separate thing of it's own.

15. CompulsiveCrab

You're too far gone if you don't acknowledge the effects celebrities or athletes have on the masses. Hollywood is literally liberal-ran. It means I like LeBron James, therefore if he does an interview and says trumps a racist. How many times is that gonna get played on the news that LeBron said that? How many people are actually going to look into what he said and whether or not there's weight. It does not matter because thousands read the headline and ran away with the idea. This is a reality. I don't watch sports to gain political reinforcement. LeBron James is not a politician, he's not who I want in government. I like him as an athlete and that's it. He can back whatever politician or policy he wants. However as the double standard goes if he backed trump he'd get major backlash. He has the right to protest, but go to your town hall and do it with your community. There s so many outlets to use this an abuse of political influence(LeBron James was used as an example)

Alejandro Villanueva had to apologize for standing alone during the national anthem as his teammates hid in the locker room. Where's his right to his politics?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  16. As I've said countless times... politics is already in sports by having the national anthem played and standing for the flag. Standing and kneeling are BOTH political statements. They should have the right to choose which political statement they want to make.

What do you mean, where are his rights? He had the right to stand, and he did... that's where his rights are.

You're absolutely right. However, YOU are too far gone if you think that only happens with liberal ideas. The exact same thing happens with conservative politics. Trump is a celebrity as well, as are many conservative celebrities, and conservatives read headlines and watch biased news reports all the time without checking their facts. It's a problem, yes, but it's a problem on both sides.

Personally, I don't really consider myself conservative or liberal. I'm pretty much in the middle. I'm conservative on a lot of issues, but liberal-minded on a lot of others. But generally, if I see some crazy story from a conservative perspective, I try to get the liberal perspective as well, or some kind of proof that the source I'm watching isn't being completely biased, before I get outraged about something.

Labels are useful at times, but I feel like the current state of the world is SO obsessively divided by labels. Maybe I've just never noticed before, but it seems like now more than ever, people are so divided by politics, the gender war, race, religion, status, what ideologies you subscribe to (i.e. feminism and SJWs versus MRAs and anyone elsw who doesnt agree with them). I just hate all this divisive nonsense. It deeply saddens me to see so many people make instant snap judgements and assumptions about others based on their race, gender, political party, and the movements they follow. And the biggest problem is that the judgements they make are often not even related to the thing they're judging them for. You disagree with me on politics? "You're a racist, homophobic bigot!" Never mind that we were talking about taxes, not immigration or gay rights, and you have no idea what my views are on those subjects.... I see this happen every day online. It's depressing.

Anyway, sorry, that was kind of a tangent.

17. Example: my grandma just shared a post of this photo of Trump, and the post said something like "this is what the media won't show you!" I looked at the comments and FAR too many people thought this obvious Photoshop was real and were instantly outraged that this photo wasn't shared on the news. Conservatives can be blind sheep just as much as liberals.

man-saves-cats.jpg

MiddleGround1706 likes this.
  18. TheLoneDanger

TheLoneDanger Fapstronaut

Well said. I often feel like in the many issues today, we’re forced to pick a side. And for those that value rationale and logic, there is no true “side” for them anymore. Issues like what this ridiculous NFL spectacle is becoming (now the league is encouraging the audience to lock arms with each other as the players do the same during the anthem to show “unity for all”. Wait, what is this about anymore?) are just like politics where we are basically forced to pick the side we hate least instead of picking a side with which we actually agree.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. Yeah, I don't like the "pick a side" mindset in most anything, really. Because when you do, it implies that you think everything about the other side is complete ridiculous and dumb and you're 100% against it, and that's almost never the case for me. Most open minded people can see the positives and the negatives on both sides.

TheLoneDanger likes this.
  20. CompulsiveCrab

Honoring American troops isn't have politics in sports. It's being American. Being partisan in sports is having politics in sports.