1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to compliment girls in the street?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Peacekeeper, Sep 28, 2017.

1. @SupBruh why do looks matter to you so much?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. SupBruh

SupBruh Fapstronaut

Not to me but to girls (OK to me as well)

Will make a post explaining this, but more on this later, etc

3. But in general though it's men who tend to prioritize looks more than women, at least that's what I heard.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2017
  4. SupBruh

SupBruh Fapstronaut

This is a common myth

Women prioritize looks even more than men, because at least guys are ready to fuck almost anything, whereas women are far more picky

And because men have no quick-fix looks enhancers ala makeup, you're pretty much fucked if you didn't win the genetic lottery. Outside of plastic surgery you can do nothing to save a guy with a subhuman face.

Will make a post detailing this in practice, but more on this later, etc

5. Here's the problem between SupBruh and Aaron that is causing confusion between your two views...

SupBruh is talking about sex. Aaron is talking about relationships.

Yes, if we are just talking about finding someone to hook up with for the night, women are probably more picky about looks, because women have higher standards for themselves. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I think men should take some notes from women and set their standards higher as well.

When it comes to relationships, however, it's pretty much completely obvious that men prioritize looks more than women. And again, I don't think that's a bad thing. It's just part of the difference between men and women, and it's a natural thing. Men are more visually driven, as well as being more task oriented, and women are more emotionally driven, and more relationship oriented. Most women care about looks to some degree, of course, but I would say for most it is definitely not high on their list of priorities. Partially because in a relationship, for women, falling in love with someone's character and who they are as a person makes them more physically attractive to you. Obviously in a hook-up situation, that part doesn't matter, so naturally it's all about looks.

6. Yeah, thanks for clearing things up.

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  7. grantham99

grantham99 Fapstronaut

"Is it OK to compliment girls in the street?"

Firstly, ask yourself why you feel the need to compliment them? Is it because you're attracted to them? Are you hoping for something to happen? Or are you just being "nice"?

Secondly, try to imagine you're walking through a neighbourhood that gay men often frequent. A dude walks up to you and pays you a compliment. How would that make you feel? This is not a trick question - if you think would feel uncomfortable that's totally okay, it doesn't mean you're homophobic. (I say this as a gay man). If you accept the compliment, great. But that person isn't entitled to make a comment on your appearance. People have the right to walk down the street without someone making a comment on their appearance, and this is why many women feel uncomfortable with it happening. 99% of men have never experienced anything like this so they don't necessarily have that perspective.

8. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

In my case, I'm just being nice. I don't expect anything more. But I admit it's not always good to express your feelings like that. Once I said something nice to a girl with boyfriend and a child (I didn't know) and I wasn't trying to hit on her (is it correctly said?), but it appeared like that. It almost got in me into real trouble.

I wouldn't mind if a gay man said something nice to me as long as it isn't creepy or inrespectful.

9. It really makes me sad that we live in a world where we can't even be nice and good hearted toward people without worrying about offending someone. :( people need to learn how to give someone the benefit of the doubt and not make assumptions about their intentions.

10. I was going to compliment a black woman's hair the other day, but I stopped myself, because apparently that's racist now. No joke. And then everyone complains that the world is so harsh and nobody is nice, but gee, I wonder why.

Deleted Account and Peacekeeper like this.
  11. How exactly can one perceive this as racist? I don't understand. It doesn't appear racist to me.

12. Because she had braids, like a lot of black women have, and apparently complimenting someone's hair because it's "different" is racist. I don't understand it either, at all, but I've read articles and seen videos of black women being offended about people complimenting their hair.

Deleted Account and SilentJay313 like this.
  13. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Did you just assume that person was a woman? That's transphobic. *Sjws arrive* *unintelligible screeching*.

SilentJay313 and Deleted Account like this.
  14. But it's a compliment which is basically the opposite of an insult but then again I guess in this case the saying "Offense is taken not given" holds true.

15. Yeah, people like that are just dumb, honestly. Makes it hard to ever talk to anybody because someone will be offended, no matter what you say.

SilentJay313 and Deleted Account like this.
  16. grantham99

grantham99 Fapstronaut

Telling people how they need to act in that situation is part of the problem. They are entitled to react in the way that they do, expecting them to understand that it's a compliment or to instantly know the intent behind it is not fair, especially if they've been the victim of negative comments in the past.

Perhaps you need to see that making comments about other people's appearances might make you feel good, but it may not have that effect on the other person. Imagine how a woman would react if she'd been cat-called earlier that day, or a person of colour who was yelled at from a passing car, or a trans person being abused by a passer-by. My point is, you don't know what that person's life is like, or even what their day is like, so expecting them to react in the way that you want them to is entirely unfair.

17. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

A man comfortable with his masculinity needs to navigate the cultural norms. Our culture has become overgrown with a lot of clutter, and so we are always looking to make a clearing... a genuine social space as opposed to a contrived politically correct one.

In concrete terms, when you meet that woman on the pavement, obviously you don't want to leer and cat-call her like that Neanderthal swinging from the scaffolds. Rather, you will be quick and natural to respond to her when she sends out that most feminine and spontaneous subconscious signal, before she has had time to reflect on the correctitude of her behavior. You are here in the field of Eros which flows spontaneously and subtly between the polarities of the masculine and feminine. That is the reality, all else is rubbish. Good luck!

18. Buzz Lightyear

All rationalist philosophy [ideology] obsesses over 'the same'. It wants to abolish 'the Other' [reason itself has its Other]. But reality will always resist its attempt to control everything. One of the fundamental polarities in life is the feminine and masculine. they are irreducible to reason, and the political machinery. In the name of freedom, ideology is actually the exact opposite.

19. Buzz Lightyear

Imagine a world where the sexes could not meet in public. What would happen? They'd be forced to meet illicitly [on-line?] in secret. Perhaps the reason feminists want to ostracize this kind of behavior is because a natural power dynamic asserts itself when people spontaneously meet - whatever a woman may think in her head, her nature takes over.

20. Buzz Lightyear

Here's an example. As I sat here typing this in Starbucks, I looked up to find a woman staring at me. I did not look away, but returned her stare with a grin. She in turn broke into a smile. If she was not with her family, I would have naturally started a conversation and got her number. Simples.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017