1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to school

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Toomuchh, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Toomuchh

Toomuchh Fapstronaut

I'm 27 and I never finished a degree. I was thinking about going back to get a bachelor's in comp sci since I find not having a degree limiting my opportunities and would like to have one to help my future progression as well. But I feel like I'm too old and am hesitate and unsure. Has anyone else gone back to school and could you share your experience?

2. Im 34 and I think about the same, if you 27, you not too old by far.

EddyFriend likes this.
  3. Ashin_kusher

Ashin_kusher Fapstronaut

I'm 24 and just started my first semester of college. It's going pretty good I think. You should at least give it a shot.

EddyFriend likes this.
  4. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

Do it if you want to

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. I must... :D

Mavricko likes this.
  6. Baroque

Baroque Fapstronaut

I'm 33 and planning on going back to school as well. I'm sick of working crappy minimum wage jobs.

7. Zephon

Zephon Fapstronaut

I went back to school and it was the best decision I made. Before I did an education and worked later, but there are so miserable conditions (work hard for less money in a oppressive atmosphere), that I later decided making a better graduation.
    These schools I visited were not typical schools like in your childhood for example. In my case they were evening schools or night schools. Every student was accrued (some of them also worked beside visiting school) and the most teachers were much more professional then these on a regular school (but also a few dickheads of a teacher were there, you can't avoid it!). For me it was an awesome experience, funny and could take a lot of things from school: now I can communicate with the English language (and have a few Spanish skills too) and after finishing evening school I had the option studying on a university.

And about the age: the most of my old class were much older than me (23, 25, 29 etc.), in a different class someone was over 30 years old! I also knew a man, who was 60 years old, and went to evening school just for fun (he was a cop before and went into retirement. After evening school he wanted to study philosophy, so he told me).
    So don't worry about your age! If you want to do it, well, then do it! :D

8. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

Pretty much. OP needs to not give a shit what anyone else things and do what he wants to do in this case

9. to that I can only say: hell motherfucking yea!!!

10. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

If you want to go back to school for a comp sci degree, might I suggest going to a coding bootcamp instead?

Work backwards from your end goal. If your end goal is getting a job as a coder in a tech startup, you could easily get it through a coding bootcamp. No need to waste time and a lot of money on getting a degree. They are becoming more and more outdated nowdays unless you attend a top 5 school for your subject and graduate within that top 1% of your class.

11. Toomuchh

Toomuchh Fapstronaut

I have a certificate in web development and it's the degree I want for future job prospects and flexibility in career path. I was also thinking about business, finance and economics so that 10 years down the line so I'm not stuck as a coder, and while it's realistic to aim for project manager, I do want a mba in the future and if I want a career change or move up the ladder I'm worried I will be limited by prerequisites to just be considered.