1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is reading too much bad for dopamine?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by victor0258, Oct 8, 2017.

1. victor0258

victor0258 Fapstronaut

Sometimes I read up to 12h a day of normal books.

Knighthawk likes this.
  2. Dude 12H a day is amazing. I wish I could get myself to read a book for an hour a day... Life is all about balance, but using your brain that much can't be too bad for you lol

vibemaker and victor0258 like this.
  3. victor0258

victor0258 Fapstronaut

okok thx :). I don't do it everyday but as soon as I fall in a book I can read it in a day (read 250 pages today) but I feel tired after it so I was scared of having too much dopamine xd.

4. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

When I find a good, long book, I have to limit myself. I don't want to finish in just a couple of days. It's the same with watching a good tv series. I could marathon it, or I could watch only a couple of episodes a week. I feel as if I get more out of it that way.

victor0258 likes this.
  5. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Good for you! Reading is like a ritual, and so should calm the need for dopamine.

vibemaker, victor0258 and Knighthawk like this.
  6. Plutonium

Plutonium Fapstronaut

Reading is effort - so any dopamine response you get is earned.

My only worry about reading is the effect it can have on your eyes. I recommend you read about the old Bates' method and adopt some of his exercises - eg gazing into the distance every time you turn a page.

The other thing is to make sure you read in proper light, and also read horizontally; lying down reading above you can be very bad for your eyes.

So don't worry about the dopamine. Take good care of your eyes. And enjoy your reading.

Knighthawk and victor0258 like this.
  7. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Even better is the 'coffee shop' method. One looks up from the page after each line... every time a beauty walks past.:rolleyes:

vibemaker and victor0258 like this.
  8. Plutonium

Plutonium Fapstronaut

And coffee shop chicks love guys who read a lot especially if they look chilled out and intellectual while doing it... :)

9. victor0258

victor0258 Fapstronaut

hahahaha thx for the advices

vibemaker likes this.