1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing musical taste? Is that even possible?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Oct 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. What was negative about it? I think you’re being overly sensitive.

2. Honestly, don't stress the lyrics so much. You are the guardian of the gates of your mind. While there are many external influences constantly bombarding you each day: Advertising, TV, video games, music etc - it is up to you to ultimately decide which thoughts to accept, and which to reject. It's very different to listen to a song and vibe with it and agree with the message, than to listen to it and enjoy the music without accepting the message behind it.

However, if you do want to listen to it less, my suggestion is simple:

Buy better speakers (i.e. a good set of tower or bookshelf speakers, rather than just some computer speakers). Better speakers = more revealing. Well produced music will sound amazing, but poorly produced music.. all the flaws will be immediately audible.

While it's mostly electronic music that suffers from the worst compression and poor production, a lot of rap and hip hop does too, so you'll probably find yourself listening to it a lot less on better speakers.

When I upgraded my speakers my music tastes changed a lot. I mostly listened to EDM, rap/hip hop and classic rock.

I still love all three genres, but I listen to very little EDM or rap/hip hop now. Mostly jazz and classic rock, and music with high production value in general.

Also, if you like rap and hip hop, why not explore it more? Not all rap and hip hop is "drugs, guns, violence, woman, sex, money etc"

A few examples:

[​IMG]

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

I know most music is propaganda and crap anyway, however you can't stop seeking new music just because of that.

4. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    first of all music is a form of magic tribes originally used it for rituals then people fucked it up an called it art ,art is a expression of the creator who created it, i suggest you be careful of the music you listen to your programming your subconscious with it ,i listen to music that motivates me an i make sure the topic of the song relates to my goals in life

5. Billyshears_2008

Billyshears_2008 Fapstronaut

When a person discovers music it is usually a reflection of their subculture which is determined by a lot of factors.
    As you become better exposed to others subcultures and genres your musical tastes will expand, broaden and deepen.
    To help facilitate this process take a music course, learn the history and influences of some of the musicians you enjoy. Hang out with people who are in a different subculture than you are a part of.

6. AChosenPeople

AChosenPeople Fapstronaut

You can stop listening to music at all. It also brings benefits with it, life becomes better because you stop constantly getting those dopamine hits while listening to music.

7. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

Bye

JesusGreen and Deleted Account like this.
  8. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I see no reason why musical tastes can't change over time, though I wouldn't try to force it. Rather, ones tastes will naturally change as one gets older.

9. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

Personally, I think if you find the lyrics to be bad then you should stop listening to it. I think the things we take in do have an effect on us, making things seem acceptable that should remain unacceptable. I stopped listening to rap because even the conscious stuff is still all about braggadacio, its extremely rare to find truly good rap, its all underground.

I started listening to Lofi beats on youtube... search for it there are youtube radio channels that stream it all the time. Beats made by amateurs many are very good, no bad lyrics. Otherwise, just take the time to explore other genres and you'll find other things that you like.

10. Quick update. I started listening to the bands I heard a few years ago and they even have new albums. I think it will take time to move away from rap but it will be worth it. I won't have to close the songs because I find the lyrics disgusting or half naked woman are dancing in the video.

I'm mostly listening to rock currently. Bands like Highly suspect, Starset, Architects, Asking alexandria just to name a few. Any recommendations are welcome!

11. HipPete

HipPete Fapstronaut

I don't know if you like classic rock 60's 70's but check out (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stone, Beatles, Animals, The Kinks, Traffic, Tommy James and The Shondells, Sugarloaf,The Isley Brothers, Three Dog Night,The Who, Steve Miller Band, Yes, ZZ Top, Alice Cooper, ACDC, The Guess Who, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rainbow, Def Leopard, Rush, Styx, April Wine, Bad Company, Cream, Deep Purple, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Genesis, Kiss, Ozzy Osbourne, Pilot, Roxy Music, Status Quo, Thin Lizzy, Streetheart, The Clash, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Trooper)

12. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    mommys alright,daddys alright,they just seem a little weird, surrender surrender but dont give yourself away ayyy ayy