1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had a chance to live in solitude, deep in the wilderness. Would you?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SolitaryScribe, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Scorpions are amazing!

DeProfundis likes this.
  2. Dude, that sounds fantastic. I would be way too much of a scaredy cat though. I don't even like being in my house at night when my husband isn't home for a few hours.

3. dragonslayer

dragonslayer Fapstronaut

I would not live permanently in the wilderness, but visit such a place frequently whenever I would require peace. It would be more like a trip to refresh myself than a permanent move.

We underestimate the importance of social bonding and interacting with other people. That is something I am not willing to risk, even though I am an introvert and stay in my room mostly. But, once a day, I talk to my parents, friends, which makes me feel connected. That is something I assume you cannot do unless you planning to take a phone with you. :D :p

4. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I feel like there's a huge misconception here about fleeing to the wilderness. While spending many days with different monastics and solitaries and reading many books about the topic I've learned certain things that most people don't realize. To keep myself organized I'm going to list them:

1: Being in nature give you peace because nature is peaceful:
    While this isn't necessarily wrong. it's a very superficial way to look at things. Being in nature will give you a sense of inner peace, but that feeling flees over time. I've spend a lot of time solo camping and I found that the sense of inner peace flees within days. If not hours! I do believe inner peace can be achieved but the solitude in itself isn't what gives you that inner peace.

2: Living in the wilderness isn't realistic: For someone without any experience in living in the wild, I do agree! However! it isn't impossible. I've met and have seen many solitaries that have spent their entire lives in the wilderness. Some of them live close to a monastery in order to have food, and others simply live near certain plants or trees that provide them with food. There is a documentary where this guys built himself a cabin out somewhere in Alaska. He wanted to film his experience living in the wilderness for a year. He ended up living there for 29 years! He hunted and gathered food himself.

3: We need human interactions to survive: While I do agree that human interaction is very important, I don't think it's a need. Cutting off the need to interact with someone is no different than cutting off the need for sex. If we want to reach a deeper understanding of the human soul, I feel like this is a necessary step. I'm not advocating for everyone to do this! there is nothing wrong with wanting to interact on a human level or even to want sex, it's perfectly natural. But there are people who want something deeper. People who want a connection that is much deeper and edifying than that of another human.

4: People who flee to the wilderness are only running away from people and their problems.
    Once again I think this is a very superficial way to look at things. I don't recommend anyone that has problems or hates people to run away into the wild. That will not solve anything! you can not run away from your issues. One thing that a solitary has told me that stuck to my head is that "comfort is death". I couldn't agree more with that statement. When we find ourselves in a comfortable position in our lives, whether it be in the job we're in or our relationship, you'll find that time will begin to slip away rather quickly. Comfort doesn't necessary mean that you're happy, just that you're comfortable. There's a much deeper reason why people flee to the wilderness and that is not to get away from people because they're introverted!

To sum up everything we have to ask ourselves, what is it that we're after? what is the reason you decide to wake up every morning. What is the image that we're chasing in the distance? and does everything we do now really matter in the grand scheme of things? I'll leave you guys to meditate on this topic, let me know what you've come up with!

Awakeatlast likes this.
  5. OriginalStormblast

OriginalStormblast Fapstronaut

Absolutely! I would do something like a meditation retreat in absolute solitude in the wilderness. I'd like to say I could go a month alone but I don't think I'm capable of zero human interaction for that long

6. I honestly want to live away from the city and people, I've always dreamed of having a house with my bf near nothing but the rolling hills and sounds of nature. I'm already a hermit and normally don't leave my house so I'd have no problem out there, because I love how beautiful and peaceful nature is.

7. i try to get away a few times a yr
    for solo wilderness excursions.
    backcountry canoe camping,winter camping etc
    absolutely love the experience!
    longest trip so far was 15 days
    and its taken quite sometime to acquire the skills to be
    comfortable for this length of solitude
    in a remote setting.

cant say id ever like to live in solitude permanently
    as i do like to interact with people.

8. Go watch the movie Into the Wild. It's about a guy who does just that.

Not surprisingly, the movie ends with him dying alone and wishing he hadn't left. Also worth noting it's based on a true story.

If it's peace you're looking for, don't try to find it in the woods (that place is crazy dangerous!). Jesus once said, "In this world you will have trouble, but be of good courage, for I have overcome the world."

Peacekeeper likes this.
  9. SolitaryScribe

lol, that's actually one of my favorite movies. Though before his death, he accepted what was going to happen to him. Just goes to show, mother nature is not something to take lightly.

10. No thanks. I already live that way (except for the wilderness part), and its driving me nuts.

11. SolitaryScribe

Here is an interesting video about a hermit living in the desert of Egypt. It is heavily Christian based, but I still think regardless of your religion you can learn a lot from this video.

12. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

"Happiness is only real when shared."

13. PedroCalrissian

PedroCalrissian Fapstronaut

Go on a backpacking trip for a week or so, or even a day hike. It's really peaceful and helps clear the head.

14. BettaM32

BettaM32 Fapstronaut

I've been thinking about it as well but I also feel I've learned a great deal about myself as I've learned to cope with all the ups and downs in today's culture. I find comfort being alone but I know in order to change, I need to experience more discomfort