1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

"Getting things done?" - I whish for recommendations for "life organization" tools

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by 100percentsilk, Oct 31, 2017.

1. 100percentsilk

100percentsilk Fapstronaut

Hi Guys,

im currently in the rebooting process. I realized that one of my major personal issues so far is that I don´t have a reliable systematic approach in organizing my tasks/thoughts/actions (actually i´m diagnosed with the inattentive type of ADHD).
    I believe that in building a consistent habit in organizing my life I will get ahold a key for success with NoFap.

I´m curious about your approach/system/routines to organize your tasks, actions or how you set yourself goals, reminders. Did you had success in beginning a positive habit?

I had an attempt at the "getting things done" approach of David Allens same called book.
    In a nutshell it says:
    - Capture Everything you need to do,
    - Divide tasks into "Actionable in 2 Minutes" and "Projects"
    - Categorize projects, list the next actionable steps, give them a time fram/reminders
    - Do them and Review after a period (Weekly but in my case I´ll try daily)

Well its not to bad theoretically but as of right now I just used a lot of small paper sheets that fly all around in my room. I just save the most important stuff in my calendar. I tried apps like wunderlist but I believe I need a more haptical approach.

2. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

Decide on the main daily things that have to get done. Work out how much time they will take and when you have to start and finish them. Set alarms as reminders! Have a physical action you use to initiate each task and do it without thinking. What I mean is, when it's time to do something, don't try to talk yourself into it or wait until you feel like doing it, but do something physical without thinking. Like, close your laptop, or stand up and step back from your desk, or whatever. It's a lot easier to initiate a basic physical action than it is to change how you feel about a task. Once you've done this simple first action, you can move on to the task at hand.

Start your day with something productive, rather than something that wastes time like browsing online. It's much easier to go from productivity to productivity, compared to wasting time to productivity.

As much as possible, have set times each day that you do specific things. The more you have a common daily routine, the easier it will be to do what you have to do.

100percentsilk likes this.
  3. Pomodoro mtechnique.
    Use a system that's mobile nd online.
    Have a morning and evening routine.
    Stop "hacking" and focus on using time better.
    Make a list of primary goals for work and personal life and don't do anything that doesn't feed those goals.

4. AChosenPeople

AChosenPeople Fapstronaut

It's not ADHD it's chronic masturbation. Quit pmo & you gonna be clear minded.

5. Download Todoist. It's the perfect application for using the principles from Getting Things Done.

This video is a little old and out of date, but I recorded a video talking about the Todoist setup I use a while back, so here it is:

6. 100percentsilk

100percentsilk Fapstronaut

First let me thank you all very much for your help.
    In the last two days since the post, I tried to incorporate your principles. Downloaded todoist as well.
    For small stuff like transfering money or buying groceries it worked out well. But for my big projects such as writing my thesis or finding/caring about my internship ambitions I realized that I still need to plan out the small steps in a much more actionable way in order not to give up quickly. I always get quickly lost in my decision process as what is the right thing to do and so I postpone the decisions continously.
    I was wondering what you define as productive? I mean is it productive when I write something here or should I instead do something to improve/get done with things that are annoying in my mind.

And for the morning / evening routine I wrote down only the basic things like brushing teeth, making coffee and every second day simple Yoga Workout . Is this enough? Could you maby give insight as to what is part of your routine?
    Thank you so much in advance.