1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Engage Women

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by DainTrinity, Nov 1, 2017.

1. DainTrinity

DainTrinity Fapstronaut

Something I struggle with (I think lots of us struggle with here) is actually engaging women. I honestly don't have any difficulty talking to people, though I am silent almost all of the time, it's less to do with anxiety and moreso I have no idea what to talk to people with, how to engage them. The things I like discussing are not what the average person (especially woman) does; I have rarely been able to get people into conversations about politics, biology, Canadian civil law, fantasy novels, nutrition science, console video game history, etc. The things I know about. If I just ask them questions about what they like and who they are, it just comes off as awkward or the conversation dries up when I have nothing to add. Too oft, with little charisma and a frequency to stutter, I come off as creepy. I know humour is usually a good route but I am only actually good at dry humour, and 99% of the time no one even understands it's humour.

I guess I am more ranting than anything that I don't know how to engage women. I don't know how to push them past a basic conversation about the weather and daily life into anything beyond, and they refuse to do the same with me. On that note, I also don't know where to meet the kind of women I would really enjoy talking to, the kind that would challenge me to really think and discuss, and/or have something in common at all.

2. I joined a meet-up group that organized itself around reading history books. Believe me, apart from a brief period in my late twenties, I've never been successful at engaging women. But the organizer expressed interest in me, and we actually have had good conversations about books. From there we talked about work, relatives, etc. I was self-conscious and uneasy and actually turned down an invitation she once extended to meet her at an event because of my own neuroses (which PMO has contributed to) but the last conversation I had with her went surprisingly well. I don't know if I'm romantically attracted to her, but the experience helped increase my confidence. Are there meet-up groups in your area you can look into?

3. TotalLifeChange

TotalLifeChange Fapstronaut

I few years ago I wrote a post specifically about this issue, which I suffered too.

You just have to start thinking of the different ideas that are shared in a conversation as threads you can expand. It is super simple, you just have to practice it a bit.

Now I can literally have interesting conversations for hours.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  4. DainTrinity

DainTrinity Fapstronaut

@hangemhigh Unfortunately there are not meetups in my area for my interests, I had planned to start a book club meet up until I realized I had to pay upfront a fee which I didn't have money for at the time. I might reconsider at this point. Most of the meetups are either very general and aimed at an older, wealthier class in my city, or they are very specific and specify things like "women's group" or are things like a business group or what have you.

@TotalLifeChange Your link doesn't seem to work for me. I'm not really sure what you mean without seeing your link.

5. TotalLifeChange

My bad, I corrected it.

Here it is again.

Let me know if you have questions.

6. Imho engaging women is never a goal.
    Do things you like to do. Be yourself.
    Then the meetings with women will occur naturally.

I 've stopped stressing about who to contact women.
    I just do my thing, go to work, go to church, go to the supermarket, hang around, do some walking....
    If there is a contact with some girl, well... nice.
    If nothings happens, well... nice.

7. TotalLifeChange

I actually agree with you, but that ends up being a life choice.

If your life choice is a more socially active life and especially varied relationships with women, then you have to take the initiative.

8. I hope that you can find something. It seems it is easier to bond with people generally when the focus is on a shared project and not on any one person. Also, women tend to be attracted to a man who demonstrates competence in a project, especially one that he leads. I've been watching dating guru David DeAngelo's videos, and he says that the best thing a man can do to attract a woman is to have a passion for something. I think he claims a little too much for this, but I think that it's certainly a big part of attraction.

9. DainTrinity

DainTrinity Fapstronaut

@TotalLifeChange No, I still don't really have those issues as listed in that post. Moving through threads of a conversation is easy for me, talking about what I like is easy for me. It's getting them to engage back I have difficulty with. I can't force them to pick up threads of a conversation, and there is only so far I can go with trying to push links with people who I have usually have nothing in common with.

@Everyone else Those are good points, just letting go and focusing on a shared project / my own goals. That's probably the best advice is to focus on myself.

Overall I find if I take the initiative, I get passed over pretty easily.

Mind you, I should mention I'm not really attracted or excited to talk to the women I talk to. Maybe they can sense that ? I get fired up for intelligent, thought-provoking discussions, people who make me heated and discuss and prove me wrong, teach me new things, really charge my brain. I do not meet women like this, unless it has been online. I'd also really like to meet another empath some day, but my hopes for that one is pretty low.

10. Opposite problem here. I can talk about anything and engage in a great conversation. I just don't have the balls to approach a girl nor start a conversation with one. Will slowly work on it. I'm glad that after this long streak I am on currently, I have a deeper voice and rarely stutter anymore.

11. TotalLifeChange

That's it.

12. TotalLifeChange

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

If your goal is to find "regular" girls (or even "regular people" for that matter) to engage in profound or rare topics, then IMHO that is an issue in and of itself.

I get that because you say:
    Some topics are just dry as is.

IF you are interested, you could try improving your communication skills at all levels, by improving your non verbal language, and driving your points home with intrigue, mystery and emotion. You could also read books like Made to Stick.

But you can milk ideas to an extent. ;)

You just can't make a girl horny by talking (even talking passionately) about the last presidential debate. And you cannot engage people (and women you are attracted to) just because you like the topics.

I'm an engineer and I know, after years of experience :D that I cannot talk about engines and optimizing a production plant just because I like it. Actually, maybe I can share interesting ideas about it, and pique someone's interest with curious details, but that can't drive a whole conversation. If I want to talk about that, I talk to specific friends.

I'm not saying there aren't people (and women) who don't like the same things as you do. I'm saying you have to know your audience. I could bitch about how dumb most people are, or I could just go find brilliant geniuses elsewhere.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    DainTrinity likes this.
  13. Superadders

Superadders Fapstronaut

Perhaps change your mentality a bit. Rather than fretting so much about engaging/impressing a woman, focus the conversation more on her. Make assumptions about her - appearance, where shes from, what she does etc. Allow her to invest in the conversation.

But still, its important that you have your own passions and principles and are not afraid to express them with women. NEVER try to change yourself, your opinions etc just to please a woman. Its also important that you dont filter yourself. Just say whatever is on your mind.

I should also note that silences are actually ok time to time. Dont feel the need to fill in silences all the time.

14. DainTrinity

DainTrinity Fapstronaut

@TotalLifeChange Yes I understand that. I guess the issue is more where to meet the kind of women I want to meet, rather than trying to engage the women I don't really care that much about. I've never felt legitimate attraction to any women except one, and she is intelligent, and loves discussing things with me. Just the other day we were talking about the environmental impact of livestock and vegetarianism in general. She just lived halfway across the world.

I'm pretty solid with non-verbal communication, and just communication in general. This entire thread has made me feel like it is more me not wanting to engage these women because they don't interest me, rather than anything else, and my perception was just jaded that somehow I am doing something wrong.

So, inevitably, the real question is where do I find the kind of women I want to meet ? Where are all the intelligent women driven to understand ? Also the empaths.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    TotalLifeChange likes this.