1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I stop being so negitive and depressed all the time?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by zxcv, Oct 31, 2017.

1. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

2. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

What's an average day look like for you?

3. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

Sleeping, video games, trying to find a programming job, wishing that I had a girlfriend...

Ruben J. Soto likes this.
  4. FriendlyCanadian

FriendlyCanadian Fapstronaut

Cardio workouts will help change your negative thinking. Cardio workouts makes you more happy.

ali.nf likes this.
  5. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

More positive mindset, stop feeling sorry for yourself. Go out there and chase your goals and dreams instead. Get shit done you want to sort out without a second though. Good luck.

PedroCalrissian likes this.
  6. addictionfreeguy

addictionfreeguy Fapstronaut

Wow bro you litreally asked the same question as i wanted to because exactly same things happening to me. I am also trying to learn programming languages, lie down in bed for whole day looking for excitment but got only negativity & depressed about me & my life. Help me too guys, what should i do?

7. Shohrat Shankar

Shohrat Shankar Fapstronaut

Read some books like
    1) Power of positive thinking
    2) The secret letters of monk who sold his ferrari
    3) Secrets

8. ali.nf

ali.nf Fapstronaut

You need to change your routine in order to remove depression. Instead of video games, exercise and go to the gym (workout at home if you don't have a membership). Exercise is a great catalyst for change in life. You will feel have an improved mood once you begin. Also fix up your diet it has a huge impact on your hormones and mood, cut out refined carbs & each more proteins & veg. You need to understand you are the reason your life is this way and only you can make a postive change. Lifting weights relieves stress & depression. Also a good thing to do to remove negative thinking is visualise your dreams & goals in life. Write it down on paper, write down your goals and dreams and how you would like your life to be, do this everyday. Good luck

9. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

Identifying with your mind and thoughts robs you of the present moment and that's all we have

10. TotalLifeChange

TotalLifeChange Fapstronaut

You say your day is:
    So I'll point to the emotional state of being on an arbitrary scale, but as you can see, it implies a progression of energy and well-being.
    1. Willingness, Kindness, Optimism, Activity
    2. Courage, Relaxation, Eagerness, Fun (video games).
    3. Contentment, Routine, Functionality, Boredom
    4. Pride, Superiority, Arrogance
    5. Antagonism, Criticism, Discontent (trying to find a programming job), Complaint, Blame
    6. Anger, Domination, Aggression, Coldness
    7. Craving (wishing that I had a girlfriend), Need (trying to find a programming job), Compulsion, Unfulfilled Desire (wishing that I had a girlfriend)
    8. Fear, Worry, Shyness, Inferiority (wishing that I had a girlfriend), Paranoia
    9. Grief, Sorrow, Self-Pity
    10. Apathy, Despair, Depression, Hopelessness
    The sleeping part comes because you have a very low energetic state –as shown above.

You want to feel better, right?

Focus on emotional levels that are better but close enough to your current state, something you can handle, and go up step-by-step.

You probably just can't handle a hard lifestyle change (going to the gym every day, etc.) by yourself with low energy.

My suggestion:
    • video games: keep doing that, but limit your hours to something reasonable.
    • trying to find a programming job: regardless of you still looking for a programming job, go to the library every day with your laptop as if you had a job and just code something interesting, valuable and fun. Code something doable by yourself. It if improves your skills even better, but keep it fun and just focus on it, and improve your way up.
    • wishing that I had a girlfriend: notice that getting you to socialize with the intent of getting a girlfriend is really hard in your state (I know what I'm talking about). So what I would actually do in your situation, right now, is to cancel that wish for a while (only temporarily, only until you improve your state). Thinking "ok, I will cancel that wish because it benefits me right now" and even associate negative emotions to it (anger, criticism, superiority and arrogance) will release so much energy for you to focus on improving your mood. If you really, really have a compulsion to get a girlfriend, then other measures would be required.
    Don't be lazy. Having low energy and depression is one thing. Wanting or deciding to keep it that way, is your personal choice.

I hope it helps.

You'll get through this!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  11. Harry Maclad

Harry Maclad Fapstronaut

There is a thread here on NoFap in the self improvement section called the Graduate Attudite Challange where you post three things that you are grateful for daily and I find that if you do it enough times(and if you have at least a semidecent streak on nofap) you will start thinking more postively! Hope this helps!
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.p...ttitude-challenge.47771/page-292#post-1107967

Single Palm Change likes this.
  12. Single Palm Change

Single Palm Change Fapstronaut

Go for walks, take a new route, go somewhere you've never been before (a park you haven't been to, take the train for a few stops and walk around - etc).

Exploring new places activates your brain in a positive way and distracts you from ruminating.
    Being in nature is an anti-depressant. This is proven!
    Walking is a great way to get the blood pumping and get more energy, without over-exerting oneself.

I agree with everything you say! That's a super-post right there. The list, where is it from?

TotalLifeChange likes this.
  13. TotalLifeChange

TotalLifeChange Fapstronaut

Similar lists are present in different "spiritual" teachings. However that one is part of a larger one from a book called Levels of Energy by Fred Dodson. I can only reference to it by adding that you have to be very careful if you study that, because it can easily lead to misunderstanding, fixation and, in my opinion, delusion, depending on where you "average" on the energy scale to start with (ironically). In other words, be careful and just use it as a reference, not absolute truth.

14. Single Palm Change

Single Palm Change Fapstronaut

Thank you, and thank you for the caution. "The map is not the territory" ;)

15. I have always been thinking about this negative thing and that negative thing. Whenever I tried to better myself I always looked at my negative behavior, memories and all in the past that I looked as negative, always ignoring the positive ones. Now I am trying to find all the positives in life, bettering my outlook, hanging out with all my friends instead of closing off some of them, and also my most important one; focusing on the positive memories, no matter what it is. I have started to write them down, and I feel like this is helping me think more positive. I also bring them forth when I know that I am struggling. Writing them down and listen to music seem to lift my spirit!